What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Mpv - any with T/C auto? - wazza2004

I am looking for a used mpv with a torque converter automatic gearbox. Must be petrol and have a budget of around £10k. Any recommendations?

I am disabled and have three teenagers. Currently have a kadjar and the knees of the passenger behind me is tight. Needs to be high seating position for ease of exiting.

Had a look at SUV and the Honda CRV was recommended. Unfortunately the insurance group is high (28) and being AWD is wasted on me. Now only working locally .

Regarding MPVs I can only find vx zafira tourer 1.4T. The other option is mazda 5 and Honda frv which both are too old and rare. Is there any other MPVs I missed? Majority I see are with DSG or powershift.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by wazza2004 on 15/06/2019 at 13:33

Any - Mpv - any with T/C auto? - Metropolis.
There’s this www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190610886...0

although i’m sceptical about how much leg room the 6th and 7th passengers have. Pity they stopped selling the previa. I’d opt for a Vauxhall with full main dealer service history if i were you. Just make sure you carry a fire extinguisher!

Any - Mpv - any with T/C auto? - badbusdriver

I thought most CR-V's and indeed most modern SUV's were 2wd, seeing as they are never used off road?. Having said that, i doubt there would be much difference in MPG between a 2wd or 4wd SUV with a petrol engine and t/c auto box. Both are going to be pretty thirsty, at best maybe 28mpg vs 30mpg. Do you do enough mileage for that to make a difference?.

The only other possibility which might be worth investigation is a Japanese import. Various makes and models to choose from and they are with very few exeptions, all petrol (or hybrid) and all auto. You'd end up with a car older than you'd expect for your £10k and you'd be looking at either a seven or eight seater. But in the case of Honda or Toyota, bullet proof reliability, and they are generally, extremely well specced.

Here are a couple of options,

first is a Toyota Estima hybrid,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190611890...1

And a Honda Stepwagon,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190214494...1

Be aware that with most Japanese MPV's, the centre seat in any rear row is probably going to have a lap belt only. That, along with the fact that they are narrower than you would expect (especially the Stepwagon and its Toyota equivalent, the Noah), meaning it would be best to consider them as '6+1' or '6+2' seaters.

Edited by badbusdriver on 15/06/2019 at 16:17

Any - Mpv - any with T/C auto? - pyruse

The CRV is 2WD most of the time, the centre/rear diff only kick in if it detects the front wheels slipping. I think the newer ones are a bit better on fuel economy; my Mk II gives about 25 mpg round town and 35 on a longer run. It's a second car so it only does low miles.