Ford S-MAX - Used Car issue - Cracked and Chipped Windscreen - M_i_c_h_a_e_l

I picked up my new car today (used one) from a large London based secondhand dealer.

- I don't know if I can mention them by name so I won't -

Anyway on the drive home I noticed that the windscreen was sparkling, (sunny day today) pulled up at a petrol station to check what it was - a small 1cm star crack. (located just above the wipers in the middle of the windscreen)

I then called the dealer and told them about it - they couldn't put me through to there aftercare team, I then asked if I need to go back to the dealer or if I could deal with it from home as it was soon school pick up time and I need to pick up my little monster. They replied don't worry I can deal with it once I get home.

At home now I decided to clean the windscreen and check it again before calling -

I found 1 star crack and 13 chips in the glass

(I didn't notice any of the when I viewed the car on Monday gone or when I took it for a test drive - was cloudy) Neither did the sales rep mention any of this about the windscreen.

I called them and got the following response from them "that I had bought a used car and with used cars it's normal for them to have chips and or cracks in the windscreen and that is reflected in the price of the vehicle , vehicles are sold as seen and that if I was not happy that I had 24hrs in which to go back to either get a refund or get another car.

I part exchanged my old car for this new one.

What should I do?

Thank you in advance for your help

Edited by M_i_c_h_a_e_l on 29/03/2019 at 22:46

Ford S-MAX - Used Car issue - Cracked and Chipped Windscreen - Bromptonaut

How old is car, how many miles and what was price?

Edited for duplicated post

Edited by Bromptonaut on 30/03/2019 at 08:37

Duplicate to whats below - sorry newbie here to this forum

Edited by M_i_c_h_a_e_l on 30/03/2019 at 11:10

Ford S-MAX - Used Car issue - Cracked and Chipped Windscreen - Palcouk
Depends on the extent, and possibly how much you paid. Go to an MOT station and ask them for their opinion on the windscreen, if an MOT failure then the dealer needs to supply a new screen

Car Specs-

Ford S Max 2.0 TDCi 180 Titanium - With Panaramic Roof , Leather Interior, Sony Sound System - Manual, Diesel

Millage -

Price -

£16,999

I guess most cars acquire a patina of tiny chips depending on how and where they're driven - my 2011/90k miles Roomster has plenty. Wear and tear s/h buyers have to accept.

A star chip is worse because it's a potential weakness. We had one on Mrs B's Berlingo which suddenly turned into a proper crack when I used the screen wash on glass warmed by South of France sunshine.

Is it the one you have repairable using injected resin?

If so then just get it fettled . Doesn't cost much, your call as to whether to see if vendor can be persuaded to pay.

If it's not repairable and/or is an MoT failure then you've got a complaint about quality and fitness for purpose.

Ford S-MAX - Used Car issue - Cracked and Chipped Windscreen - nick62

I think they are trying it on with the "24 hr" statement.

As another poster has already pointed-out, If the damage is such that it will fail an MOT, then the supplying dealer has to fix it free of charge. Whether this means a new screen or a repair I leave to others more informed to judge.

Just an update,

I took the S Max to my local garage up the road from me to have a look, they said that the Windscreen wouldn't fail an MOT
Then they told me that the windscreen can't repaired due the crack and all the chips in it, and would need to be replaced.

They also suggested that I should just claim it on the insurance and save myself the headache with the dealer.

Ford S-MAX - Used Car issue - Cracked and Chipped Windscreen - Avant

I think that last line is good advice.

There's no way of proving one way or the other whether the main crack happened before or after you bought the car. No prizes for guessing what the dealer will say: on their side is the fact that you didn't notice it when you inspected the car.