What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Transit motorhome - HPI saying my vehicle is scrapped/stolen/written o - Bobandethel

Help please

Trying to sell our motorhome but the ad has been rejected because the HPI check shows the vehicle as stolen/scrapped or written off. We bought it on 1 July 2011 and sent off the reg doc immediately and received log book in hubby's name. The vehicle has been taxed, insured and motd every year since, albeit with sorned periods when not in use. At no point have we had any correspondence about the vehicle from DVLA so this has come as a complete shock.

We live abroad and hubby is in UK now trying to sell. He has limited time to sort the issue out. Not helped by the fact he is deaf so phone calls are an issue and they won't deal with me as not the registered keeper. Has anyone come across this before? We have not scrapped the vehicle, nor is it reported stolen. Complete mystery. Thanks for any advice.

ETA just checked Dvla Web site and all mot history there from 2006. Pass every time.

Edited by Bobandethel on 29/03/2019 at 11:57

Ford Transit motorhome - HPI saying my vehicle is scrapped/stolen/written o - Galaxy

Someone posted on here a couple of weeks ago that his car had mistakingly been recorded as scrapped by the DVLA. Someone at a recycling facility almost certainly made a mistake when entering the reg number of a vehicle which actually was being scrapped and that number happened to be the reg number of this unfortunate chap's car!

Last I heard he was having to send all sorts of proof to the DVLA that his car still existed and hadn't been scrapped which was going to take some time to sort out. It would appear that people at scrapping facilities can make mistakes like this and get away with it. There don't appear to be adequate checks.

No guarantee that this is what's happend in your case, OP, but it would appear to be likely. I don't believe the other chap ever came back here to let us know what the outcome was with the DVLA but we can only assume that he got the problem sorted out eventually.

Edited by Galaxy on 29/03/2019 at 12:16

Ford Transit motorhome - HPI saying my vehicle is scrapped/stolen/written o - Galaxy

I've just had a look and the other chap's thread, who also had the same problem, can be found here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/129204/a-scrap-yar...f-

Ford Transit motorhome - HPI saying my vehicle is scrapped/stolen/written o - Bobandethel

Thank you. I did read that but it was different in the sense the chap did scrap a car. I get that this van could have been written off long ago but if it was then put back on the road legally we wouldn't be having this problem and if sold illegally how would we get a log book?

I did read that but it was different in the sense the chap did scrap a car.

But he didn't scrap his car!

He only found out that his car had wrongly been recorded as having been scrapped when he was sent a Car Tax refund, completely out of the blue, by the DVLA!

Edited by Galaxy on 29/03/2019 at 13:49

Ford Transit motorhome - HPI saying my vehicle is scrapped/stolen/written o - sammy1

Your car may have been damaged or stolen before you bought it. It is obviously still road legal otherwise you would not be able to tax and insure it. By its age it must be on the HPI register as a Category D or C right off which means at some time an insurance company paid a previous owner for the damage or loss. The vehicle would have then been repaired or subsequently found and put back on the road. You could ask your insurance company what record they have against your vehicle. I cannot see why you cannot advertise it, although you should disclose its HPI history to be honest.

Having read your first post once again, OP, I now believe you are saying that you can't sell your motorhome because an HPI Check has shown it to be listed on the Insurance Companies Register. Is this correct?

This shouldn't, in fact, prevent you from selling it, you just might not get as much money for it when you come to sell it as you would if it wasn't on the register, that's all. If it hasn't been involved in being stolen and/or badly damaged in an accident during your period of ownership then it must have been listed on the register at the time you purchased it. Did you carry out an HPI check prior to purchase?

If it's an Insurance Company Register listing that's actually the problem then this is absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the DVLA. You would need to attempt to find out from HPI why your vehicle is listed on the register and when it was put on there.

Yes sorry I was thinking of a different post I saw where the guys mum had given 2 log books over. Should have read your link first.

UPDATE

I did my own HPI check with the AA and it threw up what was an oddity. Yes the plate was listed by an insurer as a total loss. It was Cat B so should have been crushed. Not half as crushed as I was at this stage. HOWEVER, I noticed that the vehicle description said the write off was a JCB Loadall. I sent a query to HPI who have acknowledged that a wrong plate number has probably been entered by the insurer as they can see our van has never had other plates issued.They are investigating and it should all be sorted soon.

Thank you everyone who commented.