Choosing new car due to coming clean air zone - jimmy_jazz

Hi all!

I'm fortunate to live in the greatest city ...Birmingham. Jan 2020 there will be a clean air zone in the area within the ring road.

I currently have a 2008 bmw 123d. The new legislation would mean I pay £8 a day to drive through the city centre tunnels, the best route for me to the M6.

diesel cars from 2015 (euro6) and petrol cars from 2005 (euro4) are exempt from this tax.

My commute to my place of work is 150 miles round trip so for a long time I've had diesel cars, however I was thinking of possibly getting an old 05/06 car and getting it converted to LPG. The alternative is buying another diesel on a 2015 plate.

I'm just wondering if people have an experience with LPG and opinions what people would do if in my situation

regards

Choosing new car due to coming clean air zone - SLO76
With such a long commute I’d go for a newer diesel but I wouldn’t go spending a fortune as the goalposts will no doubt be changed in the near future. That said there will always be a market outside the major cities for them.

An older car converted to LPG may be ok but they often suffer from problems running on a fuel they were never designed to take such as burnt valves etc plus although it’s much cheaper cars that run on LPG use much more of it so the savings aren’t always that great. You’ll also lose space and be carrying around another tank full of explosive fuel around in a car that won’t have the same safety standards of a post 2015 model. Yes it’s in an impact resistant tank but it can’t add to safety having it right in the middle of a crumple zone, plus the older design counts against it here. Airbags etc have a limited lifespan and technically require replacement at ten years for example. Will they fire with enough force to protect at more than a decade old?

I’d get a newer diesel and if the urge is there for a modern retro classic then get one as a toy but leave the lpg alone.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/03/2019 at 19:05

Choosing new car due to coming clean air zone - gordonbennet

On the other hand we have been running an lpg car for a number of years now, had 3 converted and bought one used already done, a Mitsi supplied new with makers approved conversion, and a poor conversion it was too.

You have to choose the right car with a suitable place for the tank, and make sure you get a good quality flashlube dispenser system fitted to the vehicle.

German cars especially take well to the conversion as having hard valves and seats are less likely to suffer VSR (valve seat recession) than some others, also avoid direct injection engines as these are not generally suitable for conversion.

Find the right converter, sadly i believe the excellent place at Featherstone no longer converts vehicles nor does Toby in the depths of Worcestershire, and this is happening all over, only a hard core left of converters, we haven't had any issues finding cheap lpg supplies (currently paying 56ppl) but i wonder if bp garages are trying to find an excuse not to sell it any more as their prices are stupidly high in many cases so their sales must be minimal.

I suspect the present LPG car converted last year will be our last, unless something happens to reinvigorate the fuel, there may well be nowhere in a few years to get the conversion done or service/repair current equipment, only the east europeans will be users mainly because they can get cars converted at home when they visit for less than half the cost here so the sums make more sense.

Choosing new car due to coming clean air zone - drd63
I’ve no idea how much an lpg conversion costs but if it’s so cheap in Eastern Europe wouldn’t it be worth the trip to get it done there?
Choosing new car due to coming clean air zone - Ethan Edwards

Do remember the lpg system will want an annual service. Not so much the cost but will you have to pop back to say Romania every year or 12k miles? My 2p find a UK converter and pay the extra cost. I gave lpg up because I got fed up with the local stations "running out" or "the pump is broken" etc. I do advise to get the biggest tank you can fit. I had a toroidal tank and it gave 150miles. Dont forget you might pick up a already converted vehicle. I'd also agree with other posters..a pumped flashlube system is a must. Best of luck.

Choosing new car due to coming clean air zone - Big John

Sadly LPG use has been declining because of government decisions just concentrating on low CO2 re tax(good for diesels), killing off grants and bringing in the LPG fuel tax escalator. Many of the major LPG installers don't do this anymore and slowly but surely the number garages that can deliver LPG have been vanishing (well they have around me in East Yorkshire).

I bought my 2001 1.4 Octavia with LPG conversion in mind for my longish commute but I didn't go ahead for two main reasons 1) The government withdrew the Powershift conversion grants 2) The real life mpg of the Octavia was much better than I thought it would be.

Saying that the direct liquid injection conversions look interesting:- www.prinsautogas.com/en/products/vsi_system/vsi_sy...l

My commute distance is nowhere near as great as yours (64 mile round trip) but I find the real life fuel economy to be good in my petrol Skoda Superb mkII 1.4tsi (circa 46mpg) - not much less than my previous diesel Superb mkI 1.9 diesel (circa 50mpg). On that mileage watch for the cost and life of tyres!- pick the wrong ones and this can be significant - I made that mistake , once!!

Diesel might still be the way to go for your distance - possibly a Euro 6 without SCR (as some are) - although the rules will evolve. Saying that rules could evolve for petrol - I think some cities are going to insist all taxis (petrol or diesel) are Euro6+ (er for now!)

Edited by Big John on 17/03/2019 at 20:30

Choosing new car due to coming clean air zone - edlithgow

Sadly LPG use has been declining because of government decisions just concentrating on low CO2 re tax(good for diesels), killing off grants and bringing in the LPG fuel tax escalator.

Is there some kind of multi-party under-the-counter agreement to always back the wrong horse re automotive environmental policy?

Lean-burn?

Tax concessions for diesel?(KNOWN to be an environmental hazard at the time).

The infamously stupid scrappage scheme?

Can't all be accidental, surely?

LPG-injected diesel seems to have a lot going for it. Was very big in Australia for a while.

Choosing new car due to coming clean air zone - expat
LPG-injected diesel seems to have a lot going for it. Was very big in Australia for a while.

Much the same thing happening to LPG in Australia. Conversion companies all closing down. No new vehicles available running on LPG. Garages stopping selling it and taking the tanks out. A great pity as it is really good. I have been running on it in Australia for ten years now and it has saved me many thousands.

Choosing new car due to coming clean air zone - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

You would still have to pay the £8 per day as well. The gas conversion does not avoid that.

Buying a new car, complying with EU 6 might be cheaper overall.

Choosing new car due to coming clean air zone - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Double post

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 18/03/2019 at 09:48