What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Car hire equivalents - S40 Man

Today I hired a car from Thrifty. I got a good deal £30 quid for a Ford Focus or similar. There was an option to upgrade to VW golf or similar. My wife has a 14 reg focus so I know what they are like. I will need a new car in the foreseeable future so thought to try a Golf for the day on my business trip.

I was presented with a C4 Cactus. This was OK if a little underpowererd. The seat was quite high also. Seemed good over speedbumps, but not in same league as Focus on country roads

My question is aren't golf and focus already equivalents? Where does C4 Cactus rate in this heirachy? I think I just wasted £2, not the end of the world.

I'm sure they could have reasonably given the Cactus as ford focus equivalent.

Any - Car hire equivalents - Engineer Andy

It depends on what you want out the car and how you feel about badge snobbery. For all intents and purposes, a Golf is a SEAT Leon costing a few Grand more. In most respects, a Focus and a Golf are very similar, but like all cars, some will have features or aspects to their drive or ownership experience that you prefer.

For a hire car, unless you're using it as a test drive for a future purchase (as well as being properly used), I don't see the point in going 'up market' unless the car has some quality you need for that day that the other doesn't. Who cares about styling as long as it does the job that day, as it's then going back.

Much better to find out about any car that you may intially like, have a good look round at showrooms for each and get a decent test drive (free) or two, then whittle the list down until you've made your choice.

Any - Car hire equivalents - kiss (keep it simple)

I used to get hire cars pretty frequently as part of my previous job. They were all nominally Golf class but sometimes I had an upgrade, sometimes a downgrade. I would do about 400 miles over a few days so I had a pretty good test drive.

The stand out car for me was the Golf 1.4tsi. Excellent performance and good refinement. It's interesting what would put you off a car though.

Any - Car hire equivalents - badbusdriver

The Cactus when first introduced was in its own little niche. Although appearance wise it seemed to be a mini SUV crossover type thing, in execution it had taken a very different route, stripping back most, if not all, of the gadgets and gizmo's most buyers expect in this type of car (even if they don't actually need them). The result was a car which was very light for its size, very softly sprung, very distinctive, perhaps a little too distinctive with those 'airbumps', as it wasn't really a sales success.

Fast forward a couple of years though, and Citroen release the C3 Aircross, which is a Mini SUV, in the same position (loosely) occupied by the Cactus, but with all the Gizmo's. Meanwhile, the Citroen C4 is absolutely nowhere sales wise, and Citroen see that SUV's are where its at. So they decide to re-market the C4 Cactus, dialling down its quirky features (airbumps much reduced in size and moved right down to the bottom of the door), upped the gizmo count and hey presto, this is now Citroen's offering in the Focus/Golf sector!.

I always really liked the original Cactus and had it been available with a proper auto (as opposed to an automated manual), we'd quite possibly have had one by now. Depending on what deals are available about this time next year, it may well be on the shortlist to replace our Jazz seeing as the auto is now a proper t/c job. I do very much like the emphasis on comfort rather than sportiness, and have read rave reviews about the seats, but on the other hand, pretty much all the controls are through the infotainment screen!.

Any - Car hire equivalents - S40 Man

I agree about the infotainment center, I found it hard to use while driving, quite distracting really. It was comfy certainty, at the expense of handling maybe.

Probably off my list now. It was the new model. I prefer the funky look of the original.

Any - Car hire equivalents - 72 dudes

Car hire companies use a lot of poetic licence when when assuming which cars fall into which category in my experience.

Recent experiences include: Jersey, went for a Fiesta class car, got a Corsa - no problem there.

Austria - ordered an Opel Astra class car, and was offered a Dacia Logan Estate, but declined. Tried to explain that a Logan wasn't in the same class as an Astra, the young female responded that it had 4 doors and 5 seats, so yes it was. Asked if they had a Mercedes S Class instead as it has '4 doors and 5 seats'. Not even a smile! Upgraded to a Ford C-Max which was surprisingly good. Can't remember the price, but not a huge amount.

Belfast - ordered a Focus or equivalent and was offered a Hyundai i30, yep fair enough. It stank of petrol though so they swapped us into a Hyundai Kona instead, OK at a stretch.

Going back about 8 years, I used to have to hire a car to travel around the region as the employer wasn't keen on paying 45p per mile for own car use. Our contract was for a 1.4 litre petrol Focus/Astra/Golf class car, but I had everything from a 1.25 Fiesta to a Peugeot 5008 1.6 HDi.

Any - Car hire equivalents - badbusdriver

I agree about the infotainment center, I found it hard to use while driving, quite distracting really. It was comfy certainty, at the expense of handling maybe.

Probably off my list now. It was the new model. I prefer the funky look of the original.

Although i do like the new Cactus , like you, i did prefer the looks of the original. But Citroen's decison to market the car as a Golf/Focus class car seems odd to me. The Golf has always been amongst the more compact cars in its class, but the new Focus is fully 20cm longer and nearly 10cm wider than the Cactus!. Meanwhile, although the Cactus is very slightly longer than the C3 Aircross, it is narrower and has a smaller boot. So not sure there is going to be many who'd choose the Cactus over the similarly roomy, cheaper, more practical, taller, and more SUV looking C3 Aircross?.

Any - Car hire equivalents - concrete

When I was using company cars they would occasionally need some repair which required a replacement vehicle. This actually only happened when when I had French cars (Peugeot or Renault). Once I got to Enterprise and they said they did not have a large saloon as requested but they offered me a Golf. I was in need and in a hurry so I accepted. However it was a V5 GTi. Well, it was quite a shock. The performance was terrific and I enjoyed the 3 days I had it for. I did think that if I actually had one all the time not only would my fuel bill rise but I would probably be racking up points on my licence. The joy of overtaking in something that will really shift is addictive. Took me back to my batchelor days when I had a 911!!!!

Cheers Concrete

Any - Car hire equivalents - Senexdriver
Whenever I hire a car I always wonder to myself what I will end up with when I order a particular model “or similar”. In Switzerland with Hertz, for a Focus or similar I got a Kia Cee’d. I was initially disappointed but after 2 weeks had warmed to the car, which was unexciting but did the job. In Belfast, again with Hertz, for a Polo or similar I got a Dacia Sandero Stepway. My heart sank when I was shown to the vehicle, but again it did the job apart from headlights which were so badly aligned that they were downright dangerous. I didn’t discover until we were comfortably installed in our accommodation in Londonderry, a couple of hours drive away, so I put up with the problem for the rest of the week long hire period. In New Zealand, for a Toyota Corolla or similar I got a Mazda 3 from Hertz - a decent car and a fair approximation. For the second part of that trip I got a Ford Ecosport from Europcar as similar to a Corolla. That would have been OK with a bit more power and an auto gearbox that knew what to do whenever we encountered a hill. By the time it had decided which gear it should be in, we had lost all momentum and merely added to its own confusion.

Last summer in Kefalonia with Avis I was given a Citroen C3 as similar to a Polo. Not a car I would ever consider buying and a bit quirky, but on the mountain roads it was fine and very comfy. A little underpowered for sudden steep inclines, but there is not much scope on the island for motorway-type cruising so the power was OK.

A year ago in Wisconsin with Avis I was given a Jeep Renegade as similar to a Kuga (or Escape as it’s called in the States) which again is not a car I’d ever consider buying, but it was fun whizzing around in it for 3 weeks. We’re off to Wisconsin again in May with the same deal, so we shall see what Avis give me this time as similar to a Kuga. The “or similar” lucky dip has become part of the sport of car hire for me.
Any - Car hire equivalents - smallcar
I think Kia/Hyundai and Dacia are becoming quite popular on car hire fleets. I think some of the car rental websites put up images of cars people recognise like VW Polo, Golf, Focus but then give you one got eh lesser known equivalents like Hyundai i20 or i30. I’ve yet to ever get allocated a VW polo or Golf in umpteen European countries even though it was used as the example. Always got a Kia/Hyundai, Citroen or Opel. Assume the latter just offer cheaper leasing rates to the car rental giants.
Any - Car hire equivalents - Engineer Andy

That's why we see so many 1-2yo C-sector ex-rental cars on the market on supersites like motorpoint from the likes of KI/Hyundai, Ford, Vauxhall, Nissan and so on. When Golfs appear in large numbers, most often they are pre-regged cars from LHD European states like Ireland, Malta or Cyprus that they can't flog there.

Any - Car hire equivalents - jc2

I recently hired a car in France and was "upgraded" to a nearly-new Clio.It was awful-so noisy-made me wonder how they ever sold any.My current Fiesta at nearly three years old was so superior on NVH,ride and handling.

Any - Car hire equivalents - Warning

I was lucky enough to get a VW Golf when on holiday. I am struggling to understand the hype surrounding the VW Golf. It is n't a great car, but neither is it a terrible car.