What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Most reliable - Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda? - dac1

Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase a car. It will be around 5 years old (as they're about £5-6k and that's all the budget will allow for).

I'm not looking for anything fancy but I am looking for the most reliable car. A car that will keep going and going. My last car was a Ford Focus and it had no end of problems, a lot of them were design faults that were never recalled and left to the buyer (me) to fix at a cost.

I've heard that the Japanese cars are the most reliable. I've also heard that the South Korean cars are on par with the Japanese cars when it comes to reliabilty.

So can I ask you which manufacturer, of those listed below, is likely to be the best bet for reliability?
Honda
Toyota
Nissan
Mazda
Kia
Hyundai

If it makes a difference, the car I'm looking to buy will be the equivalent of a Focus in size and luxury, so not a 4x4 or anything sporty.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by dac1 on 08/03/2019 at 12:55

Most reliable - Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda? - badbusdriver

I think i'd remove the Nissan as it will just be a Renault megane by another name.

Of the rest, none are unreliable, so long as you are sticking to a n/a petrol engine and manual gearbox. Bear in mind though, that a 5 year old Kia will still have 2 years warranty left (as long as the servicing have been carried out in accordance with Kia's requirements.

All things being equal, i'd be looking at the Handa Civic 1.8 as having the best combination of reliability, performance and handling, not to mention (probably) the most spacious cabin and boot.

Most reliable - Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda? - madf

Condition is all. Full service history, pref. no MOT advisories and no corrosion/strange noises/leaks things not working.

Most reliable - Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda? - badbusdriver

You mentioned, Focus sized, but you should actually include the Focus on your list. As long as you are looking at the 1.6 petrol (not the 1.0 ecoboost) which is a very reliable Yamaha designed unit. And of course, being a Focus, there are lots and lots to choose from!.

Most reliable - Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda? - nellyjak

Agree...condition and a good history IS key...

I'm biased somewhat because I am a Toyota fan...our last several cars have all been Toyota and we've had no problems with any of them...our current cars are both Toyota.

BUT...you certainly would be wrong to rule out Honda, Mazda et al...these are generally reliable cars and well respected... I'd be wary of Nissan now and it's not a marque I would consider myself.

Most reliable - Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda? - dac1

Thanks for all of your replies.

Reading two posts suggesting not to go with a Nissan is precisely why I posted this question. It was on my list but now it's not.

Can I ask why I should go with a petrol and manual vehicle? I was considering an automatic.

I was leaning towards a Honda or Toyota, just wondered if a Mazda was a bargain being just as reliable but less well marketed.

So I have a 2006 Ford Focus MK2 1.6 petrol. Its done 90k and I'm the second owner. I hear the focus engines are good however it would seem the rest of the car isn't. In the last four years I've had the slave cylinder go so it needed a new one and I did the clutch at the same time, the power steering hose went, the dashboard cluster dry soldering problems, timing unit is on it way out, and two wheel bearings. Barring the wheel bearings the rest are common design faults that ford don't recall. I don't know what their MK3 model and later are like but they've lost me as a customer. My friend has an auris. It's the same age as my focus and done the same mileage and type of driving and not one thing has gone wrong with it.

Most reliable - Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda? - gordonbennet

I too would rule out Nissan.

I also am a user and fan of Toyota (wifey is a Subaru girl), but they can still get things wrong too, think MMT transmission = hopeless.

I also have a great respect for Honda, my daughter is a fan and none of her cars, which she drives hard over high mileage have let her down.

You are unlikely to have any issues with either an Toyota or Honda, so long as they've been looked after well, and this brake wise at least is where Toyota nudge ahead, because Toyota's service regime did (last time i looked) involve servicing the brakes properly every major service, ie every other year on average, not the case at Honda...not the be all and end all of course, and if you were a handy DIY chap then friction materials and even calipers can be bought quite cheaply these days, but something to keep in mind.

Honda parts can be eye wateringly expensive, couldn't get a new aftermarket fan belt for one of daughters Civics anywhere, genuine was some £42, which is frankly ridiculous when i can get a full cambelt kit for my Landcruiser for less than £100, Honda aircon seems to be a regular failing and expensive to fix (would have been £1500 on sons 13 plate CRV, fortunately under extended warranty), very seldom have i had to buy genuine parts from Toyota and so far it hasn't meant jaw dropping bills at the parts desk.

I like Kia/Hyundai products, but having seen under the odd used Ceed the amount of subframe/suspension corrosion and the odd way the rear caliper carriers were bolted in (could be a major headache re that corrosion) i'm not quite as convinced about long term ownership as i would be with the two Japanese makes...of course i may have seen particularly poor neglected examples.

Nothing wrong with automatic gearboxes, but keep them simple, preferably TC auto boxes,avoid automated manuals no matter how many clutches they boast...Toyota/Honda CVT's seem to be doing the business from what i read.

Most reliable - Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda? - Engineer Andy

Petrol Mazdas are reliable and are as good to drive as Focuses, diesel versions have issues and are really only suited to long distance driving. As a Mazda car owner of 13 years, mine has been very reliable, although some parts (as with all cars) do wear out, and that manufacturer prices are higher than some makes, but not terrible.

I would say that overall, Toyotas (and Lexuses) are the most reliable, just ahead of Hondas (which cost more for maintenance but have better engines and handling), Mazda, KIA/Hyundai are quite similar, though the latter two (same company) have improved a lot in the last 10 years and whose sales are growing in step, helped by their best warranties. They also are getting better on the handling, comfort and performance, but it often depends upon the car and what you want out of it.

Mazda certainly has all the others in this group beaten on handling and styling, but their dealer network is, well, patchy at best in terms of quality (Ford-like - some good, some really bad, mainly on the service dept side). KIA/Hyundai are seemingly better and still improving, Honda and Toyota normally very good.

Nissan is a pale immitation of its former (pre Renault) self as regards reliability, with one or two exceptions, mainly the more basic models with less complex turbocharged engines and electronics. I used to own a mid 90s Micra (for nearly 8 years) and the main issue I had was (eventually) rust.

If I were you, I'd have a look over the Reviews section of this website across these makes for the cars of the era (new, used) you're looking for, as they indicate reliability, problems and good points (the Good & Bad subsections), as well as the owner reviews, which give scores and details about all aspects of ownership, including the dealership experience.

If you want reliability above all, buy a Toyota or a Honda. Just expect to pay extra for that, especially with new cars. Mazdas often can attract decent discounts over them (especially via brokers), KIA/Hyundai are very good on value too but both are starting to up prices because they want to go upmarket.