What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - gordonbennet

Daughter's Honda warranty runs out in March, we've just collected the car after some warranty work coincidentally, wiring loom replacement that would have been some £700 all in, and she enquired about extended warranty whilst there.

Quoted £570 for 2 years full Honda extended warranty, yes includes calipers and shock absorbers springs aircon compressor etc with very few exclusions, which seems a fair price, it would be the same price for a basic Civic so for the 300hp Type R it looks almost bargainous.

Pity Honda only covered the car for 3 years from new, when Toyota offer 5, but we are where we are, it would only take one of the huge front calipers to seize and that would be the warranty cost in one hit.

Do you think its reasonable or have you any other suggestions before she signs up?

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/02/2019 at 14:09

Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - tourantass
No brainer, £5.50 a week for you and your daughters piece of mind. One big thing less to worry about.
Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - Andrew-T

We've said it before, so I'll say it again. Put the £5.50 a week in the piggy bank, then when you find you haven't needed it, spend it on something nicer.

So far a score draw.

If the car in question was a standard vehicle i too would be inclined not to bother with the warranty, but she opted for the 5 year service plan when she bought it and i have nothing to do with the routine servicing of the vehicle at all, i'm reluctant to even lube the calipers lest that gives reason for something in the brakes not to be covered should there be a failure.

It had recall brake work when almost new, the (since lost the franchise) local dealer handed the car back with the brakes needing to be pumped to work, luckily my son picked it up for her and they discovered, about 2 minutes after he left the premises, that he really didn't agree that pumping the brakes would be quite normal, as they tried to explain.!

It is the 300hp turbcharged version, so there is considerably more expensive mechanical and electrical parts involved, so i'm at the moment in the camp of get that 2 years extra cover.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/02/2019 at 16:03

Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - sammy1

if she does high mileage could be worthwhile, otherwise I would take a chance and not be frightened by what if!

if she does high mileage could be worthwhile, otherwise I would take a chance and not be frightened by what if!

During the warmer weather her mileage is high, oh and the extended warranty also includes breakdown cover and a few other benefits.

Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - SLO76
It’s expensive and Honda’s are in general very reliable aside from clutches (which won’t be covered in 99% of cases anyway) so I personally would put the money into a separate account to cover contingencies but if she needs peace of mind then it has merit and manufacturer sponsored warranties are the only ones worth bothering with despite costing substantially more than aftermarket policies.
Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - KB.

Comparethe Honda product with this one ...

www.boundless.co.uk/save-more/car-care-plan-warran...y

You have to join Boundless (used to be CSMA) for £27 a year otherwise it's a bit dearer but that does give you Insurance Legal Protection which is usually about the same sort of figure (if, indeed, you choose to take it out).

You can ring them and you usually get a sensible bloke answer the phone (apparently they employ ex mechanics on their phone lines). Ask them what they cover - although it is listed in their blurb. The price goes up when the car gets to 5 yrs old - and they cover fewer components too. But up to 5 yrs it's quite good value.

Is it expensive? you surprise me.

Toyota wanted £700 for one years extended on my Hilux in 2010, now that was ludicrous on a vehicle costing £5k less new than this Civic.

I have no idea what the going rate for extended warranty would be for a car costing £25+k new, no idea what VW group would charge on say a Golf GTi or Seat Leon FR or Ford on an ST, nor what would be covered/excluded.

KB, i skimmed over the Boundless blurb, even on the better cover the max claim would be £2000, which if the engine or gearbox suffered serious damage wouldn't anywhere near cover the cost, so thanks but no, if she does extended it will only be with Honda's own warranty.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/02/2019 at 16:53

Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - catsdad
Gordon I would take up the offer. As she has a five year service deal anyway they nicely complement each other.
As an aside is she checking that they are doing all of the items on the service schedule? I had a very good service deal on my standard Civic but I had to check each time that they were going to do everything listed on the service deal. They tended to miss the longer interval items unless I prompted them first.,Having said that it was a cracking deal even including valve clearances as well as the more normal items.
“Is it expensive? you surprise me.

Toyota wanted £700 for one years extended on my Hilux in 2010”

Yup, I think it is. I didn’t say it was expensive compared to other manufacturer backed warranties but the guts of £600 to insure against a failure on a car that has a history of near perfect reliability aside from known clutch weaknesses is a lot to me. But again it’s about offering a security blanket to an owner who’s worried which in turn will make them sleep easy at night and perhaps enjoy their ownership experience more.

This is actually a subject I spoke with a high ranker within Mitsubishi and later Proton UK with many many years ago. I suggested the warranties should be reduced and less concern paid to profit on them. It would be offset by increased customer satisfaction and higher profits for dealers and the importer via higher volumes of cars being maintained at main dealers beyond three years of age.

If they removed the profit element beyond a small commission for the selling dealer they could offer this £570 product easily for less than £300. The margins on warranties are huge, I used to make good money flogging them myself but opportunities are missed by not boosting customer loyalty and in the longterm resale values and thus new car sales. All very shortsighted as per usual with big business.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/02/2019 at 18:20

Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - yokel38

For comparison, these are the current extended warranties available for Toyota's :-

aygo, yaris IQ, urban cruiser, £345 for 2 years extended warranty with 2 x free MOT tests and MOT insurance ( pass guarantee) + 2 yrs breakdown cover

Auris , Avensis, Rav4, £483 for 2 years extended warranty with 2 x free MOT tests and MOT insurance ( pass guarantee)+ 2 yrs breakdown cover

Hilux, Landcruiser, £883 for 2 years extended warranty with 2 x free MOT tests and MOT insurance ( pass guarantee)+ 2 yrs breakdown cover

all the above are for 2 years / 30'000 mile, 2 x fee MOT tests and 2 years roadside assistance/ breakdown cover, and can be put on up to the 12th year, so you can in fact warranty your car for up to 14 years / 100'000 miles.

IMO these are a bargain!

For comparison, these are the current extended warranties available for Toyota's :-

Thanks for that Yokel, yes they are indeed very well priced, Hilux i see being the odd one out, it's half the price of Landcruiser and much simpler and should be in the same band as Rav4 IMO.

Do those prices apply to the more complicated Hybrids i wonder?

Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - yokel38

Yes, hybrids are included, mind you the hybrid system is so reliable that if I had a thousand things to worry about, it wouldn't make the list. However it does give peace of mind.

Just one important note I forgot to mention, the vehicle must be serviced yearly as per manufacturers recommendations at a Toyota approved service centre.

Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - focussed
It’s expensive and Honda’s are in general very reliable aside from clutches (which won’t be covered in 99% of cases anyway) so I personally would put the money into a separate account to cover contingencies but if she needs peace of mind then it has merit and manufacturer sponsored warranties are the only ones worth bothering with despite costing substantially more than aftermarket policies.

The clutch and DMF on my UK bought 2007 FN3 2.2 type S Civic was replaced under Honda european warranty in 2011 in France at no cost to me, 1700 euro's worth. I had to pay for some gearbox oil though!

Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - Avant

I think she should sign up:

- it's a Type R so there'e more to go wrong than with a basic Civic;

- the cost doesn't seem ruinous; and

- haven't you said before that your daughter drives like a bat out of hell and doesn't look after her cars in the way her father does?

Catsdad, yes the service agreement and the extended warranty would run nicely side by side, i have no idea what's being done or not on the services, this car has been entirely her choice, negotiation and purchase and i've kept my big hooter out of it.

Avant, yes she does get a move on, but far as i know she does let it warm up and cool down sensibly, none of her Hondas have really given any trouble to speak of no matter how hard used, fortunately most of her journeys are at least 30 miles, her current commute, though during the muckier weather and when parking will be an issue she uses her other more normal Civic which is her runabout, the R is very well looked after though, cleaned meticulously and highly polished.

General feeling seems to be take the warranty offer so far, many thanks for your views people.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/02/2019 at 17:44

Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - KB.

All received, GB (but just for info. the £2000 limit applies to cars over 5yrs. The limit for cars under 5 yrs is the value of the car.)

All received, GB (but just for info. the £2000 limit applies to cars over 5yrs. The limit for cars under 5 yrs is the value of the car.)

Thanks for that KB, missed because i skimmed through it.

Same case though, i know she would only go for Hondas own warranty.

Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - focussed

I extended the Honda warranty on our current 2015 Accord Tourer Type S, bought in the UK, serviced in France, warranty paid to be extended for two years in France by Honda, it was €700 as I recall.

By the look of the 20 pages of closely typed legal french of the agreement I reckon it's an insurance backed warranty sold by Honda.

Honda Civic Type R 2016 - Extended makers warranty. - FoxyJukebox

This sounds a good deal. I reckon peace of mind wins in this instance-especially if you will be keeping in touch with the dealer(Honda) and loyalty will be contained/ built up. At least let's hope so.

Having said that, I would still be reminding myself that the reason extended warranties exist is because whoever is selling them is making a profit due to lack of claims.

Another way to look at this would be to compare with a maker who made a similar vehicle to the Type R but who offered a full 5 year warranty with it, when comparing one would have to add £570 to the price of the Honda to equalise, Toyota sadly have dropped this type of car at least in the UK, the last one of those i recall would have been the supercharged Corolla, GT86 is not comparable.

Just out of interest when she first mentioned buying this car i suggested she also a try a Subaru WRX, a car i prefer myself which benefits from that full time 4WD and similar cost to buy (though much more expensive to fuel and maintain), and she did try it out but didn't gel with the car like she does her Honda, and Hondas have proved themselves to her, hence her loyalty.

I have no idea if the WRX would have had 5 year warranty, nor what a comparative extra warranty would have cost.

Good point about loyalty from the dealer Dogfuzz, even though the dealer she bought it from lost the franchise, the infinitely better dealer she now uses do seem to look after her well.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/02/2019 at 11:11

The Subaru would've been thirstier and dropped in value more rapidly. I get the appeal, I love that flat 4 boxer motor but I’d’ve picked the Honda too or saved money with a much cheaper almost as entertaining Focus ST.