What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Xantia II at auction - MichaelR
When I replace my Xantia (For no reason other than I fancy a bit more kit really), I'd like to replace it with a facelift model. A 98R/S 1.9TD SX would do me perfectly.

What can I expect one of these to go for at auction do you think? I find the price guides way out at Xantia prices, so thought I'd ask some people who know what they are doing.

Mileage is of no concern to me - my current one is 152k and running fine, but I do want one that's in reasonable condition externally so I can spend all weekend polishing it and not think 'Don't know why I bothered, bit of a state really' ;)

Any ideas?

Ta.
Xantia II at auction - king arthur
If you're happy to go for one with over 100k you'll get it for nothing. I've seen P platers go for less than a grand, so you're looking at easily under £2k for an R/S plate.
Xantia II at auction - Ben {P}
Yep , i saw a decent p plate estate sell for 900 last week, and that was with average milleage.
Xantia II at auction - Woody
I would have thought stretching to an HDI model, with the direct injection engine would pay dividends economy wise.

I had a Xantia 1.9TD, new on a P reg for 3 years and I thought it was a wonderful car.The only downside was economy, which was around 35-40 mpg. It was a big heavy car though.

The Citroen suspension is astonishingly good and for motorway work it was outstandingly comfortable.

Go HDI I say.
Xantia II at auction - Amin_{p}
Just saw a P reg Xantia 1.9 TD LX, 76K FSH, TAX and MOT for $595!! suppose you could even haggle it down to 400...
I've already got a 1.9TD, albeit an M reg one, and am happy with the economy. I get about 35mpg around town (Not bad considering I have to negotiate no less than 16 speed ramps each day in and out of my estate, which require slowing right down and speeding up) and recently managed 48mpg on a run to Southampton and Didcot using a mixture of roads.

I'd love an HDi, but I just can't stretch that far. I'm a full time student and am starting Uni in October, so £2k-£2.5k is really about my maximum. As far as the economy goes, I don't do huge mileage - currently about 8k a year (And it looks set to go down given the Uni has no parking and I live a mile from the Park and Ride site..), so the extra economy wouldn't make an awful lot of difference.

What I want is the refreshed look, some more toys to play with, and a newer car 'just becuase' :) If I choose to get another I'll be buying in about 6 months time I'd imagine.
Xantia II at auction - M.M
What trim level is your current Xantia...LX or SX??

If you have a decent example your M-reg is possibly a better car for your needs than later top-spec ones.

The prices of L-P reg Xantias is astonishing given that they are possibly the best middle range family hatch. The old 1.9TD is also one of the most reliable and rewarding* diesels made.

In the broadest sense of the word.

So really what toys are going to make a poor student throw money away on a newer car??

MM
My current car is SX. I'd like air conditioning, and I like the shape of the new cars. The paintwork on mine also has a number of scratches so I'd like something with decent paintwork I can spend my weekend polishing without thinking 'grr' when I finish :)
Xantia II at auction - LHM
A very tidy-looking 'V'-reg Xantia Exclusive hatch sold at BCA Peterborough yesterday for £1500 - didn't catch all the details, but it didn't sound like a diesel (so either a 2.0 turbo or a 3.0 V6). High mileage at 150k (I think), but could hardly hear the engine - and no, it wasn't being pushed....!!
1500 quid for a V reg Exclusive? Thats pathetic, why are these cars going for such little money?
Xantia II at auction - M.M
>>why are these cars going for such little money?

Don't complain if you're looking to buy Michael!....unless you expected your old one to be about that figure.

I do see what you mean about your present car if it has an iffy body/paint, that would annoy me too.

My point about keeping to the older ones was based on the expectation that you would be looking for minimum cost student transport. Hence best avoid air-con, abs, ECU controlled idle speed, keypad immob', easily marked body coloured bumpers etc.

These are the things that are most likey to let you down. The basic engine/transmission/body/suspension will go on for ever.

If you aren't tight for cash though a newer one can look a little smarter.

MM

Hey I'm not complaining, cheaper the better :) My current car has ABS, and my thinking with the aircon is that if I get one with working aircon and it dies, I'll end up no worse off than I was before - driving a car with no aircon.

I'm not tight for cash as such, I just can't really justify more than about 2.5kish on a car while I'm at uni. I do love the new shape though, and would like one a little smarter. I love mine, but the exterior is showing its age a bit, with stone chips, scratches, etc.
Xantia II at auction - king arthur
1500 quid for a V reg Exclusive? Thats pathetic, why are
these cars going for such little money?

Petrol Xantias are absolutely worthless, especially so with high miles. Did the V reg one sell though, or was it provisional?
Xantia II at auction - LHM
>>Did the V reg one sell though, or was it provisional?

Most definitely sold! If I'd been looking for a 'keeper', I might have been tempted - it really was in good nick. Can't understand the phobia of petrol-engined Xantias, the 2-litre turbo lump in my old XM has now done 190,000 miles and is still going strong......
Xantia II at auction - Mondaywoe
As a matter of interest, I traded in my 9 year old (L Reg) Sx 1.8 petrol Xantia for the new C5 last May (105,000 miles on clock) and got £1350 for it, as well as the full cashback deals on the C5. I reckon I got a pretty good deal. Of course I was trading in for a much more expensive car (C5 2.2 Exclusive) and that was 'going back to Citroen'. What a non Cit dealer might have offered is another matter!

Graeme