What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Brake pad lifespan? - colgor

Is 20,000 miles a feasible lifespan to change brake pads? Thanks,

Ford Fiesta - Brake pad lifespan? - gordonbennet

Almost any mileage between 5k and 50k are possible, some drivers live on the brakes, others barely use the brakes making use of terrain lifting off early and engine braking, town use is heavier, motorway use should see almost no wear at all.

Ford Fiesta - Brake pad lifespan? - Peter.N.

Almost any mileage between 5k and 50k are possible, some drivers live on the brakes, others barely use the brakes making use of terrain lifting off early and engine braking, town use is heavier, motorway use should see almost no wear at all.

I would concur. Now I'm old I very rarely ever fit a set of pads but in my youth I seemed to always be changing them. Depends almost entirely on how and where you drive.

Ford Fiesta - Brake pad lifespan? - RT

Agreed - I've had a 2 tonne SUV with only half worn brakes at 50,000 miles - being retired I never drive in a rush hour and even the motorway runs are off-peak - I do also tend to leave a larger gap and anticipate better than many. On the other hand, my son drives more agreesively than me, always in heavy traffic, so only gets 20,000 out of a set.

Ford Fiesta - Brake pad lifespan? - sandy56

Yes change the pads as and when required. It is a straightforward job.

And get some driving lessons, 20k miles of a set of pads on a standard Fiesta is ridiculous.

Ford Fiesta - Brake pad lifespan? - edlithgow

In an Edinburgh MOT context, I found brake pad and brake disk life seemed to be inversely related.

Since, being Yorkshire/Scottish, I drove to minimise fuel consumption, my brake pads lasted a LONG time (can only remember buying them once).

OTOH I had to replace the brake disks for "visible rust" at every MOT.

(Admittedly I usually only MOT'd every 2nd year).

Ford Fiesta - Brake pad lifespan? - RT

In an Edinburgh MOT context, I found brake pad and brake disk life seemed to be inversely related.

Since, being Yorkshire/Scottish, I drove to minimise fuel consumption, my brake pads lasted a LONG time (can only remember buying them once).

OTOH I had to replace the brake disks for "visible rust" at every MOT.

(Admittedly I usually only MOT'd every 2nd year).

Cars do need occasional spells of hard braking - my car has been off the road for nearly 12 months, as I'm medically unfit to drive, so I get a neighbour to take it and me for a jolly every month or so to prevent deterioration - he's ex-police class 1 and his anticipation is so good, his braking doesn't clear the rust off the disks - with my approval he has to go into "hooligan" mode for a few miles.

Ford Fiesta - Brake pad lifespan? - Cyd

If it's a track car, that's fantastic. If it's a stock daily driver, diabolical.

You either drive on the brakes or you have a problem (eg brake binding)

Ford Fiesta - Brake pad lifespan? - Kagsy

Is 20,000 miles a feasible lifespan to change brake pads? Thanks,

I had to replace discs and pads at the five year service on my Fiesta in January 2019, having done 27,000 miles. Eighteen months and 7,000 miles later have had to replace the discs again because they were severely corroded. Apparently, I don't travel enough miles or brake hard enough to remove the rust (hard to believe after thirty nine years of trouble free driving - never been a problem before).

Ford Fiesta - Brake pad lifespan? - madf

I replaced pads on the Jazz at 30k miles. (greasing all sliders ec)

At 45k miles, the new pads appear half worn. (Brembo)

The front - and rear - disks look shiny, no tram lines and with any luck will last a lot longer..

Must be the mechanic who does the work is semi competent .

Ford Fiesta - Brake pad lifespan? - John F

Dealer had put new front discs and pads on our Mk1 Focus when we bought it at 29,000 miles. Then new front pads at 82,600 miles, more new front pads plus new front discs at 125,100 miles.

For normal driving in an ordinary family car, pads should last around 50,000 miles and discs 100,000 miles, as long as rust in the ventilation holes and lipping is attended to. Luxury better made cars probably do better. I have just replaced the original front pads on my Audi A8 at 70,000 miles. All the discs and the rear pads are still original with plenty of wear left.

Unnecessarily early pad and disc replacement is one of the most remunerative scams of the garage industry.

Ford Fiesta - Brake pad lifespan? - thunderbird

Unnecessarily early pad and disc replacement is one of the most remunerative scams of the garage industry.

We had a Golf, at the 30,000 service the garage reported that the pads needed replacing very soon. Having just put new tyres on the front I had seen that there was plenty of life in the pads so I told them I would sort it later.

At the 40,000 mile service they said the same but I had removed a wheel before the service (steel ones so difficult to check unlike some alloys) and knew they were fine but they reported again that the pads were near the end of life.

At 50,000 miles it was exactly the same story, just innored them.

Before the 60,000 mile service I had full set of tyres fitted and got the chap to look at the pads. He said they were good for a few more miles yet. Believe it or not at the service the garage never mentioned the pads.

Changed them at 63,000 miles myself when the weather improved, still on the car 4 years later when we sold it. It was still on the original (non-vented) discs and rear shoes in the drums.

Over my 48 years of motoring I have in truth changed very few sets of brake pads. The most pad hungry was a Golf GTi, front pads lasted about 35,000 miles, front discs 70,000 miles and I changed the well worn rear pads at the same time. The most pad hungry cars dad had were a Renault 12 (14,000 miles) and a Talbot Horizon (about 12,000) miles but in fairness the pads were so soft they never marked the discs.

Ford Fiesta - Brake pad lifespan? - John F

Over my 48 years of motoring I have in truth changed very few sets of brake pads......The most pad hungry cars dad had were a Renault 12 (14,000 miles) and a Talbot Horizon (about 12,000) miles but in fairness the pads were so soft they never marked the discs.

Same here. I'm lucky to get 12,000 miles out of the TR7's 50p sized front pads, but at least the original discs don't seem to wear. Virtually no lipping at 70,000 miles.