Purchased a Corsa at auction - EDW2000

I purchased a 2015 Corsa Excite AC, 20k miles, 3 door petrol 1.4 89ps with metallic paint, FSH, one private owner, with inspection report for £6k. Same car at dealer was £7.5k.

Car has most options but no Android/Apple carplay as this was introduced in 2016 and no parking sensors. Condition was Grade One, it needed a £100 paint job and polish.

Seller was Vauxhall finance.

www.cityauctiongroup.com/rockingham/

I tried the local BCA at Pbo, but not impressed and commissions were higher as dont have a dealer card.

Purchased a Corsa at auction - SLO76
I don’t think that was cheap enough for an auction buy. I’m assuming that £6k was the out the door price with all fees? A quick look on Autotrader and there’s plenty of them at dealers with similar miles for £6-£6.5k and a warranty.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180329505...4

Purchased a Corsa at auction - Nomag

Couldn't agree more SLO, auctions don't seem to be worth it for private buyers any more

Had to laugh that a 6k corsa has a heated steering wheel!

Purchased a Corsa at auction - badbusdriver

That really does not seem like a great deal for an auction car. I just did a quick search on Autotrader with these requirements: 2015 Corsa 1.4 petrol, manual gearbox, no insurance write offs, up to 25k miles. There are 48 of them. Look at this one for example, same model, (i think) same spec, 21k miles, £5999. And i just realised, the OP's one is the 89PS, this is the 99PS 1.4t.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181003111...1

Here is a private sale with the same engine as the OP, 24k miles but nearly £500 less,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181002109...1

Edited by badbusdriver on 10/11/2018 at 20:07

Purchased a Corsa at auction - nellyjak

As above...way too expensive for an auction buy....a bag full of risk and beggar all in the way of benefits.

that was with all fees included, about 6 months ago.

If the car is not as described you have 24 hours to return it, I had it checked and Motd same day as purchasing it.

I went for that model as RT is £30 pa. and had Met paint which is optional extra. The Limited model is the top spec with F an R parking sensors but has boy racer rear spoiler thing on tailgate which is not my taste.

Edited by EDW2000 on 11/11/2018 at 08:57

If it was 6mths ago then you made a small saving but with negotiation you could’ve had the same car requiring no paintwork and with a warranty, legal protection and possibly a service for a couple of hundred quid more. If anything your example is a reminder that doing your homework on prices is important before visiting auction. Firmly set a maximum price and remember to factor in any fees too otherwise you’ll overpay. You need to be at least £1,000 less than retail to be worth the risk.

there were no cars with met paint and £30 road tax from dealers on Autotrader. I phoned 2 and both said prices were fixed. The cheapest was £7500.

If you were so chuffed at what a spectacular bargain it was, why wait 6 months to start a thread on it?.

Seems a bit fishy.

Purchased a Corsa at auction - Engineer Andy

Yep - I thought there was a distinct 'whiff' about the original post. Might be wrong, but there's something that just doesn't sit right with me.

Purchased a Corsa at auction - Andrew-T
I don’t think that was cheap enough for an auction buy. I’m assuming that £6k was the out the door price with all fees?

I thought the point of an auction was to find the going market value? Unless this is a case of an auctioneer taking bids off the wall to stitch up an amateur punter?

I don’t think that was cheap enough for an auction buy. I’m assuming that £6k was the out the door price with all fees?

I thought the point of an auction was to find the going market value? Unless this is a case of an auctioneer taking bids off the wall to stitch up an amateur punter?

I regularly watched it. All too often Joe Public ends up frantically bidding against another member of the public and a car goes to full retail money. Another problem I encountered up here in sunny Scotland is the Northern Irish dealers who nip over to buy stock and since they have less competition they can charge more and thus bid cars up to near retail from our perspective. The only time auctions make sense is with recent ex-fleet stock as dealers will in general hang onto anything in good condition that’s retailable or they have preferred traders who’ll pay good money for the best older stock. But you must keep the head straight and do your homework before visiting.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/11/2018 at 09:36

There was no frantic bidding, I left a bid on the book, I dont think anyone else bid.

There was no frantic bidding, I left a bid on the book, I dont think anyone else bid.

Then you overvalued it, no wonder no one else bid on it if he had a £6k bid on the sheet. He’s went straight to that and no one else has bid because it was too high. You bought a car at very near retail money that required paintwork. This wasn’t a bargain but on the upside this generation of Corsa is pleasant to drive and reliable.

The bid was not £6k, did you bother to read the previous posts? £6k was the out the door price including all the commission and inspection report.

You 'experts' on here make me chuckle, really.

Purchased a Corsa at auction - oldroverboy.

The bid was not £6k, did you bother to read the previous posts? £6k was the out the door price including all the commission and inspection report.

You 'experts' on here make me chuckle, really.

Your bid "COST" you £6000, that is the figure that counts, plus paint job, plus MOT etc, and no warranty. This "expert" (if he was mad enough to want a GM product) would have paid about that for a vehicle with a 1 year dealer warranty and a service mot before delivery thrown in.

But Good luck to you with the usual problems associated with 3 year old corsas...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 11/11/2018 at 10:28

“You 'experts' on here make me chuckle, really.”

I was a salesman and a buyer for a large main dealer for many years and a successful home trader. I’ve bought and sold at auction and seen how it works, I’ve shared many a lunch with other dealers and listened to their thoughts. This expert has bought and sold thousands of cars over that career but if your one overpriced auction buy puts you beyond my experience then well done! I’ll wish you all the best with it.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/11/2018 at 10:44

There is an identical car for sale with Evans Halshaw for £7400 and you can get it for £6000? Where from?

Did you not click on the links above? We found several examples for similar money at dealers. With a bit of negotiation you could’ve had them for similar money.

Don’t be offended, we’re only trying to point out that auctions aren’t the best places to buy for the inexperienced. You can easily end up paying too much or you can get caught out with a bad car. You paid a bit too much and really didn’t win from your efforts but I assume you’re happy with the car and that’s all that really matters. It’s a perfectly decent little hatch with a simple and robust engine and gearbox.

To use another example I bought a new 1.4 SRi with metallic paint for my sister in law for £9,495. Jobs st £3,500 more than you paid.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/11/2018 at 13:29

I am not offended, just interested to know how you can get a better deal.

I went to 2 Vauxhall dealer and asked if the sticker price was fixed and they said yes. The cheapest Corsa they had was £6500 and no metallic paint.

Phoned 3 other dealers who said the same. And my car was 6 months ago when it was worth more.

Same car as mine is at Evan Halshaw, I will phone them on Monday and ask for a deal and tell you what they say. I didnt look at private sales as there is not comeback.

www.evanshalshaw.com/search/VehicleDetails/used-ca.../

"Jobs st £3,500 more than you paid." I dont know what that means.

Edited by EDW2000 on 11/11/2018 at 14:03

I went to 2 Vauxhall dealer and asked if the sticker price was fixed and they said yes. The cheapest Corsa they had was £6500 and no metallic paint. Phoned 3 other dealers who said the same. And my car was 6 months ago when it was worth more.

I hesitate to enter this debate, but .. if that is the question you asked a dealer, what other answer did you expect? I assume that buying at auction you had no part-ex, which AFAIK is the purpose of a sticker price. If you were to make an offer for straight purchase you have a negotiating position, if the dealer won't negotiate on a fairly common car, look for another.

Edited by Andrew-T on 11/11/2018 at 14:28

I told them it was a cash purchase. All 5 were Vaux dealers.

I told them it was a cash purchase. All 5 were Vaux dealers.

Then you were tying your hands a bit. What about the supermarkets, or other franchises? I have found good used 'foreign' cars on franchised dealers' forecourts at competitive prices.

“Jobs st £3,500 more than you paid." I dont know what that means.”

Obviously a typo, it was supposed to be ‘just’ not ‘jobs st’. You’re being a little silly now.

Auto Trader:

Two more above in other posts too.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/11/2018 at 15:05

not metallic paint, and add the cost of delivery, too far for me to travel.

Which dealer sold the SRi?

“Which dealer sold the SRi?”

Arnold Clark. Wee car has been no trouble at all so far but has the low output 75ps version of the 1400 motor so it’s no ball of fire despite the SRi badges.

Here’s a 90ps version for a decent price at a main dealer.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180726881...7

I think you may be wasting your time SLO, i very much doubt the OP is ever going to accept that he has not got the bargain he thinks he has.

I am curious though, as i asked earlier, if this was such a great deal, why wait 6 months to start a thread about it?. I could understand if someone else had started a thread about a car they bough recently, or that they were thinking of buying at auction and did anyone have experience of the process. Then, had the OP answered about his experience of 6 months ago, well that makes some sense. As it stands, how it reads to me is that the OP actually bought the car recently, but having been told that it was not actually that good a price, the story was then changed to it having been bought 6 months ago, when it would have been worth more.

The first link i posted was for a car of identical spec, albeit without metallic paint, but with the superior 1.4t engine. Which, to mind would be much more desirable than metallic paint, especially if motorway travel is likely. Not that much more power granted, but with nearly 55% more torque from less than half the revs it will be a much nicer and more relaxing thing to drive. And that is from a dealership, not Vauxhall granted, but still far more security if something goes wrong, than from an auction.

Edited by badbusdriver on 11/11/2018 at 16:41

I waited 6 months and 20k miles to see if there would be any faults - nothing so far.

None of the dealer cars had metallic paint less than 100 miles away in my price range.

The solid paint cars sell at auction for about 300 less.

“The solid paint cars sell at auction for about 300 less.”

Disagree. With this shape of Corsa dark colours, particularly solid dark blue sell for less but red is popular and sells well without any reduction in price as long as it hasn’t faded. White is fine too. It does make a noticeable difference on some makes and models but very little if at all on most superminis.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/11/2018 at 17:53

I went to 3 auctions and noted all the sold prices. White and red made the lowest prices.

I went to 3 auctions and noted all the sold prices. White and red made the lowest prices.

Even 3 auctions is (are) still a small sample. There are many more variables in the condition of a used car than the colour of the outside.

Purchased a Corsa at auction - Leif
You don’t ask if the price is fixed. That tells them you are an innocent, you make an offer based on what you think it is worth to you based on prices elsewhere. Sometimes they’ll budge, sometimes not. If a car is not selling, or they have too many in stock, they’ll negotiate. But you must be prepared to walk if you don’t get the deal you want.

I get the impression that now is a good time to buy. Not enough interest so they want to sell.
Purchased a Corsa at auction - Avant

This thread has generated over 30 responses - and I still can't see what the point of it is.

Purchased a Corsa at auction - oldroverboy.

This thread has generated over 30 responses - and I still can't see what the point of it is.

It is one of those where the OP wants us to say how clever he is ...was...

It is one of those where the OP wants us to say how clever he is ...was...

Do you think he succeeded?

Is that unusual? But to be serious, I did wonder if the purpose was to promote a given auction house, and if so, it has failed miserably.

Purchased a Corsa at auction - alan1302

I did wonder if the purpose was to promote a given auction house, and if so, it has failed miserably.

I think that is what they intended although didn't work out well at all.