What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driving to France - Josh Fisher

Hi all, I was originally going to go in summer but due to personal reasons as well as work etc couldn't, however we are finally embarking on our French driving adventure! I've familiarised myself with everything I'll need because I was quite rightly told to have a look at their driving laws which slightly differ to here in the UK.

Since this will be my first time driving in France I was wondering if anyone know s of anywhere which sells everything required for driving over there? I know of a few places but I was just wondering if there's anywhere which sells it all so I can save money on shipping. Also preferably looking at websites which aren't too expensive

Thanks in advance J

Driving to France - Xileno

Halfords will have all you need. Possibly Wilko's, they have a fair number of motoring items. If you have a lease or hire vehicle, make sure you take the VE form (VE105B springs to mind) which proves you are authorised to drive it since you won't have the V5.

Driving to France - Smileyman

depending on where and when you visit you may need to consider winter tyres. certainly winter screenwash - best purchased in person as it's a heavy bottle to ship!

Driving to France - Big John

There are a few laws you need to consider up and above the usual need for headlight conversion, spare bulbs, warning triangle and high vis vest for all people in the car:-

• Single national road speed limit has been reduced from 90kph to 80kph - not always obvious as many signs haven't changed. Don't speed – lots of checks/cameras!
  • Make sure nothing you have has the GPS position of speed cameras (eg older satnavs - more up to date have "zone de danger" which is OK) - this is a very serious offence
  • Tyres must be the same make / pattern and tread depth on each axle
  • An increasing number of places now need a Crit-Air sticker :-www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/
  • Always carry all car paperwork with you
  • Don't worry about the breathalyser law - no fine at the mo

Most of the bit's needed can be bought from places such as Halfords or Amazon

As well as stuff required by law consider the following:-

• A good up to date satnav which has traffic updates (I have a Tomtom 5200)
  • An autoroute toll widget - can save lots of time and hassle at toll booths :- www.saneftolling.co.uk - Some autoroutes even have separate slip lanes when you have one of these. To be honest this is more important for peak summer journeys but it's really worth it if ever travelling alone as our driver’s door window is on the wrong side! However because of my Sanef widget I've saved many hours of my life. (Just spotted this now under a new name www.emovis-tag.co.uk)

Edited by Big John on 29/10/2018 at 22:20

Driving to France - focussed

As you haven't driven in France before, take the time before you go to learn and memorise the priority rules, particularly what is called "priorite a droit" - which is best explained in english as "traffic joining your road from your right MAY have priority over you" depending on the prior signage, road markings or lack of them.

It's the one thing that is crazy, illogical and inconsistent about driving in France.

Why inconsistent? Because the French only obey the rules when it suits them!

This little website gives you a few clues:-

www.vendee-guide.co.uk/priority-a-droite.htm

Driving to France - Andrew-T

I haven't driven in France for many years now, but I have visited several times, and I thought most of the sillier priorities - especially roundabouts, where it was pure daft - had been rationalised?

Driving to France - nlpnlp

I have a holiday house in France so spend a fair bit of time over there driving. You are right on the 'give way to the right' issue which has largely been sorted out with Give Way signs, etc. But you do still get roads merging where there is no clear signage, where I am not sure of who has right of way, so discretion is very much the order of the day. It does help driving an obviously British car, as that gives the other driver the warning that you may not be entirely sure of the rules.

I always carry a warning triangle and have a fluorescent yellow jacket to hand in case of breakdowns. Spare bulbs are a must. As has been said breathalyzer kits aren't necessary. if you are going to be driving at nigh some kind of headlight deflector (or pieces of tape) are polite to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. Don't wait till you get to the ferry port/Eurotunnel to buy these as you will overpay. Halfords, Wilko, Ebay, Amazon can supply everything that you need.

I have never had a problem with the old style satnav with speed camera app, but their speed cameras are generally very well signed and are there to slow you down rather than catch you.

French drivers do tend to drive at high speeds very close to the back of your car on motorways if you are in their way - they aren't aggressively tailgating it is just the way they drive - so pull over asap and let them get by. They also tend to pull in quite sharply in front of you close to motorway exits. I do find that they are less aggressive/less road rage than the UK, they just drive faster and closer than is comfortable.

Parking can be interesting where the old stories of them bumping into cars front and back to create a space happens, so leave plenty of space to other cars when parking. And the motorway Toll tags are definitely worth every penny and more that they cost to avoid the inevitable panicked search for money/credit cards and fingertip stretch out of the car window to pay a toll.

<< .... to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. >>

You don't need to go to France to experience that ....

Driving to France - focussed

Yes - most rond points are signed in the UK convention, but a lot of the older drivers who have never had to take a test, especially in the rural areas, have never really grasped that the rules have changed. The attitude is "Rules are for people who need them"

Hi focussed, thank you ever so much for this I really appreciate this! I have to say that sounds like one of the most important aspects of driving in a country like France.

I had heard about Priorite a droit previously but I would be lying if I said I knew much about it. Thanks for providing some extended reading on that, article looks helpful so a will have to look into it and do a bit more research. :)

Driving to France - Bilboman

In France virtually overnight the roundabout priority was changed to the much more sensible "British style" give way with huge signs proclaiming "VOUS N'AVEZ PAS LA PRIORITÉ". A few rural roundabouts still remain where this is not the case, so watch out in villages. It's usually the Renault bread van that will hurtle onto the roundabout from your right.
The absolute rule of giving way to the right seems to have lapsed as far as highways go, and it is quite common to see a diamond shaped "fried egg" (yellow with a white border) sign indicating that you DO have priority. (A crossed-out fried egg means that it's back to Priorité à droite) Beware of unsignposted crossroads (British ones always show priority) where the default rule is still to give way to the right.
Bonnes vacances!

Hi Big John, Thanks for the info, really appreciate your time!

I think most of the things on that list I am up-to-date with and have acknowledged. I didn't realise about the speed cameras on sat navs being a serious offense, but this won't be an issue for me. Also, are you sure about the breathalyser law though? I think I will still look for a breathalyser just in case - probably worth the small cost (Ideally less than a £5er) of one to stay on the safe side.

I'm just wondering, is there anywhere which sells items like these in some sort of pack or kit? I don't mean to sound like such a cheapskate, I'm just trying to minimise costs as much as I can so that we can spend more money when we're abroad.

Driving to France - FP

Lots of good advice above.

A few bits and pieces from me:

The Crit'Air thing is going to get bigger. Places with emission-restricted zones at present are: Paris, Lyon, Grenoble, Lille, Strasbourg, Toulouse, Chambery, Ma***ille.

If you’re going to be near, or passing through, check exactly where the zones are. If you need a sticker, you can get one sent to you here in the UK (if there's time before you go).

Priorité à droite – I have, in many thousands of kilometres of driving, only been caught out by this once. It was in a town somewhere in France, where a car came bowling out of a side-street. Fortunately I was going slowly and was able to stop. Rural cross-roads are another potential danger point.

As I understand it, the breathalyser thing is as good as dead and I wouldn't bother about it.

GB Stickers are compulsory within the EU unless your UK registration plates display the GB Euro-symbol.

Halfords do a Motoring Abroad Kit for £35, but I'm not convinced it's actually cheaper than buying the bits separately.

Edit: Love what the swear filter has done to that port in the south of France!

Edited by FP on 30/10/2018 at 13:18

Hi there FP. Thanks for the advice - lots of good info there.

I've had a look into the Crit'Air stickers and I want to make sure I have one before we embark on our travels.

Also thanks for the suggestion. I did some digging around Google and saw the halfords driving abroad kit you mentioned, but £35 seemed a bit dear. I found one on the RAC's shop specifically for driving in France for about £25 so I will go with that. I know you mentioned the breathalysers aren't important but I'm glad that this comes with them because I will be drinking one or two nights while I'm there so I want to make sure I'm not over the limit the next day.

The only thing is that I'm not sure if it includes a Crit'Air sticker, can anyone see if it says anything on the page that suggests it/mentions it? (www.racshop.co.uk/driving-in-france-kit.html)

If not then I will probably still buy the kit and just get the Crit'Air sticker separately because if this driving in france kit doesn't have it then I doubt any others will.

and Crikey! The swear filter needs to calm down haha

Thanks J

Driving to France - FP

"The only thing is that I'm not sure if it includes a Crit'Air sticker, can anyone see if it says anything on the page that suggests it/mentions it?"

I doubt it is included. You have to make a personal application and provide specific details of your car. The sticker applies to one specific vehicle.

The sticker is then posted to you with instructions as to where to stick it - if you see what I mean.

Edit: Love what the swear filter has done to that port in the south of France!

Fortunately not many posters try to refer to the well-known ex-manager of a well-known north London football club .....

Driving to France - kiss (keep it simple)

It's worth putting your high vis jacket on the rear parcel shelf where it can be seen. There's less chance of you being pulled up for a spot check. Another tip is to check location of petrol garages just off the autoroute. If you come off near any reasonably sized town there is certain to be a supermarket close by where you can fill up for about 15p a litre less than service area prices. And you can buy some nice bread and cheese for a decent lunch.

Driving to France - Bromptonaut

Been on annual fortnight plus camping/caravaning in France from 1999 to 2017 inclusive, usually with a few shorter trips interspersed.

Never had a serious problem on the road. Priorite a Droit even where still existing is rarely taken. Like somebody above I've been caught out once on a town road but was easily able to stop short. Never been stopped by Police but several times been waved through checkpoints when they clock my UK plate/rhd vehicle. Urban default speed limit (like our 30mph) is 50kph and can be assumed, unless contrary signage, to apply from boundary of a conurbation/village until its end signified by sign with place name crossed through in red.

Headlamp deflectors are a must. France has far more road tunnels than we do. Not so much Mont Blanc and like but on ordinary Autoroute and around cities such as Rouen and Lyon. There's usually an instruction to 'allumez vos feux' at entrance and a reminder to etinguez at end.

Assume you'll have breakdown cover but it's worth learning French names for common car parts like exhaust, brakes, tyres etc.

Driving to France - veryoldbear

At the end of the day, it's not a big deal. OK you need to drive on the other side of the road but you soon get used it.

When you get a bit nearer your road trip, let us know which cross-channel route you are taking and where you are going and you will get all sorts of useful and specific information about routes, roads, refuelling etc etc

Driving to France - Big John

Crit air should be bought from the official French site :- www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/ Beware other scam sites, should only cost 3.11Euro plus postage. You need to scan part of your V5 ready to upload getting the size to less than 400k. You get a different sticker depending on what your car is (diesel, petrol, electric and what euro number it is)

It arrives fairly quickly. Infact I've just ordered another for mine as the previous one was damaged somewht when I had the windsecreen changed this weekend.

One thing to note the advice is to stick it at low level on the right hand side which on many UK cars would be illegal at home as it's bigger than the allowed size in the swept zone. I emailed them (in English) and they confirmed back (in French) that if this was the case the it was OK to stick on the other side.

I wouldn't bother myself but breathalyzer can be bought :- www.amazon.co.uk/French-Breathalyzer-Certified-Bre...Q

Edited by Big John on 30/10/2018 at 21:40

Driving to France - catsdad
Generally driving in France is a pleasure compared to our congested roads. Its a big country with a good road system and you can drive the backroads for ages and hardly see another vehicle..

Unless its changed in recent years their speed limits are much more consistent than ours. With few exceptions its one limit for town and another for the open single carraigeway. There's none of that "limit anxiety" you get in unfamiliar parts of the UK where limits can be 30/40 or 40/50/60 and you need to search for overgrown limit signs.

Others have mentioned hi viz jackets. I believe they need to be accessible without getting out of the car.

Mention has also been made of tyres needing to be same make/design/tread. I wasn't aware of this for France but I know it applies in Spain ( over all four tyres, not just per axle). I changed my fronts a bit early to ensure I complied when I went there. Needless to say, looking at local cars on the trip, it was a widely flouted law.

If you car has digital instruments you can probably change speedo and distance to metric via one if the menus. Its one less thing to worry about.

On dipping lights HJ recommends checking the direction of dip and if yours simply down rather than down and to the side you needn't adjust them. The last time I just read the car manual and taped over the headlamp areas accordingly. Just dont use tape that will damage the lamp surface.

Finally on driving on the right its the little things that catch you out. Such as setting off in the morning mid holiday when you think you have it sussed, or leaving a filling station or going through a complex junction or roundabout with no traffic about - you're much less likely to go wrong when there is other traffic about.

In general though, enjoy it !

Edited by catsdad on 31/10/2018 at 09:34

Driving to France - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Yes, the Critair sticker can be stuck on the nearside of rhd vehicles, I checked that on their English help pages. And make sure your V5c scan is done at the lowest quality and in black and white. Otherwise it will be too large for their site to accept .I learned the hard way.