What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
honda frv 2.2cdti - clutch issue - scfc_151

hi all

ive been having some issues getting the car into gear while driving. sometimes it just will not slot in other times grinding the gear. this is intermittent. the bite is quite low on the car. ive only had it 6 months so thought it had plenty of life on the clutch.

it also makes a rubbling type sound when the pedal is depressed. the engine note changes. ive changed the clutch fluid when i serviced the car so i know thats ok. there are no leaks from anywhere.

is this likely to be the release bearing? also would aftermarket clutch kits be a good idea compared to genuine honda?

thanks

honda frv 2.2cdti - clutch issue - 3uga

You can go for the aftermarket, they re mad to specs and can save you some good money. It could any number of things. Had the same problem you are describing and came to learn thar the friction material on the clutch disk came loose. Needed to change whole assembly, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and bearing

thanks (but thats not what i wanted to hear :-)) i was hoping something straight forward but ill get it in and see what they say

Edited by scfc_151 on 05/10/2018 at 22:02

honda frv 2.2cdti - clutch issue - Bolt

It could be the same or similar problem I had with my 2.2 in the Civic, dual mass flywheel gone, clutch was ok but had whole lot replaced, I found different garages charged different prices best I got was £996 though I think now they have gone down (not sure though) you will have to check

Its a common problem on them which I think they now use a modified clutch assy and dmf

if this is the case, would a dmf be covered on a 3rd party warranty? i understand the clutch would be a wear and tear part but id the dmf the same?

if this is the case, would a dmf be covered on a 3rd party warranty? i understand the clutch would be a wear and tear part but id the dmf the same?

Not knowing the terms and conditions I cant answer, but doubt it, sorry !

honda frv 2.2cdti - clutch issue - 3uga

You can't know for shure until the transmition comes off. Maybe the mases of the dmf came loose. It can be as simple as a pressure bearing or the pump(main cylinder)

Take it to aservice to check it out.

if you can get to the clutch master cylinder dust cover where the piston goes into the cylinder and flip it back that will tell you if there is a leak past the seal from cylinder

The same with the slave cylinder but not sure how easy that is to get to, an external visual check will not always tell if its leaking unless the fluid has passed it

I`m assuming you haven't done that so if you have already... just a possible

I think if it was hydraulic leak it would happen all the time

with regards to a fluid leak i regularly check the levels and have never once had to add anythin to the reseviour. its always been bang on max fill line when measured in the garage where the floor is flat. ive got a mate whos a mechanic. hes also mentioned how commom dmf are :-/

honda frv 2.2cdti - clutch issue - SteveLee

My money's on DMF failure - not uncommon with these clutches.

hi all.

ive not driven this car a great deal but had a mechanic drive it and he also thinks the dmf might be on its way. he said even if not its worth doing rather than paying the labour to do the whole lot again.

However, can anyone tell me if this is a dealer only job due to alignment tool needed? i did buy an luk clutch and dmf but ive been put off getting it fitted by a back street garage due to reading horror stories about this. the cost is over £1300 at honda.

any advice appreciated

hi all.

ive not driven this car a great deal but had a mechanic drive it and he also thinks the dmf might be on its way. he said even if not its worth doing rather than paying the labour to do the whole lot again.

However, can anyone tell me if this is a dealer only job due to alignment tool needed? i did buy an luk clutch and dmf but ive been put off getting it fitted by a back street garage due to reading horror stories about this. the cost is over £1300 at honda.

any advice appreciated

I had indie do mine as Honda reckoned on 2 day job, my indie took 3 hours and £996 using LUK parts fitted, I dropped it in 8.30am picked it up roughly 11-45 am so happy with that, but most garages even Mr clutch said 2 days earliest- as well, so didn't bother with them either

time and price will vary, I found difference of 800 pound between garages, max Honda £1800 the one I used £996 others in between all slower in doing the job....PS some garages wont touch a Honda which limits the amount of garages as well that can do it

honda frv 2.2cdti - clutch issue - skidpan

I did buy an luk clutch and dmf but ive been put off getting it fitted by a back street garage due to reading horror stories about this. the cost is over £1300 at honda.

Buying your own parts and then paying a garage to fit them is the daftest thing in the world to do. You will only save a few pounds but if things go wrong you will suffer financially sorting it out.

1. The fitting garage will want paying again to remove the parts you supplied

2. If the parts are not faulty you will be paying the garage to sort out the issue

3. If the parts are faulty you will have to pay your garage to fit the replacement parts and then try and get monies form the supplier for the cost of removing the faulty parts supplied and fitting the replacements. Problem is all factors exclude paying any form of compensation in their T & C's.

Your call but is it worth the risk.

I did buy an luk clutch and dmf but ive been put off getting it fitted by a back street garage due to reading horror stories about this. the cost is over £1300 at honda.

I missed that bit, I thought you meant cost of supply and fit, my indie supplied and fitted for the price I mentioned and agree with skidpan, your better off getting garage to S&F- less hassle and may be quicker than Honda installing garage that did the Civic gave 2 year warranty on it

Buying your own parts and then paying a garage to fit them is the daftest thing in the world to do. You will only save a few pounds but if things go wrong you will suffer financially sorting it out.

1. The fitting garage will want paying again to remove the parts you supplied

2. If the parts are not faulty you will be paying the garage to sort out the issue

3. If the parts are faulty you will have to pay your garage to fit the replacement parts and then try and get monies form the supplier for the cost of removing the faulty parts supplied and fitting the replacements. Problem is all factors exclude paying any form of compensation in their T & C's.

Your call but is it worth the risk.

i probably should have mentioned, i bought the parts because a friend of mines husband who is a mechanic was going to do the job. however his circumstances changed and hes doing other things so the parts have been returned for all the reasons you stated.

must admit because of the cost of this im tempted to cut my loses and trade it in