Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - Theophilus

Reading all the dire warnings about turning off a diesel whilst the DPF is regenerating causes me to wonder about the “intelligence” or otherwise of the Stop-Start system on my Toyota Verso (with the BMW derived 1.6 diesel engine). Since retirement I only drive 9,000-10,000 miles per year, but as 90% is on French autoroutes I don’t worry about the DPF.

However, today I made a short urban journey and noticed that the Stop-Start activated whenever I was stopped in traffic, even though the engine could have scarcely warmed up. Do Toyota engineers not realise that the S/S needs to be programmed not to activate until the engine is red-hot as HJ’s advice would seem to suggest, or does the action of the S/S indicate that the DPF is not regenerating at the time?

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - craig-pd130

I can't speak for Toyota, but the Volvo V60 D4 I had until last summer automatically disabled the start/stop function when the DPF was regenerating.

In fact, if I thought the DPF was regenerating, all I needed to do to check was to scroll through the options menu to the 'start/stop' function. It would say 'Start/stop' not available' in the display if a regen was in progress.

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - SLO76
It’ll disable it under certain conditions, one being while the car is doing a regen. But I don’t let it stop the engine until I know it’s reached full operating temperature as it does the motor no good and degrades the oil if it doesn’t reach full temperature. In most cars you can just sit with your foot on the clutch to disable it or simply switch it off unless it’s going to be running long enough.
Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - Leif

Reading all the dire warnings about turning off a diesel whilst the DPF is regenerating causes me to wonder about the “intelligence” or otherwise of the Stop-Start system on my Toyota Verso (with the BMW derived 1.6 diesel engine). Since retirement I only drive 9,000-10,000 miles per year, but as 90% is on French autoroutes I don’t worry about the DPF.

However, today I made a short urban journey and noticed that the Stop-Start activated whenever I was stopped in traffic, even though the engine could have scarcely warmed up. Do Toyota engineers not realise that the S/S needs to be programmed not to activate until the engine is red-hot as HJ’s advice would seem to suggest, or does the action of the S/S indicate that the DPF is not regenerating at the time?

My petrol VW Polo disables stop start until the engine has warmed up.
Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - Tester

Similar-but-different question: do stop-start systems know not to switch off if the turbo is very hot? Being keen to preserve the engine of my Auris petrol turbo, I always disable the start-stop on every run so that I can decide whetehr or not to 'simmer' the turbo, but am I being over-cautious? (Mind you, I suspect that fuel savings from using start-stop will be minuscule and balanced at least to some extent by shortening the life of the expensive battery, compared to what the beefed-up battery might achieve without so many deep discharge cycles!)

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - Manatee

Start stop exists because on the standard NEDC test cycle it gave material savings in fuel consumption and emissions. In typical real life the savings are much smaller, one of the reasons that many cars do not get near the official figures. It's a sham.

I'd rather not have the added complexity, and probably extra weight, for negligible savings.

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - TheGentlemanThug

I'd rather not have the added complexity, and probably extra weight, for negligible savings.

I have to say, I completely agree. The relentless quest for efficiency has made cars more costly and more complex, yet the actual savings over a car's typical lifetime seems to amount to very little.

I'd rather have a simple car that lasts a decade or longer than a complex car that will cost a fortune to keep going and may have to be ditched well before its due. I wonder if vehicle manufacturers have considered that?

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - skidpan

Stop Start is far more intellegent than it used to be but its still not perfect. Early versions (Citroen/Fiat?) should ahve been called Stop Stop since they did not monitor the battery and in many instances the car would not restart.

We have had Stop Start on 5 cars now, a BMW, a Nissan and 3 VAG cars. On the BMW and VAG cars its worked pretty much as you would expect but the Nissan in truth was pretty rubbish, very rarely did it work more than a couple of times even after a long run. Prefer that to not restarting though.

With reagrds to protecting turbo's I would say that VAG have this covered. After a 130 mile M6, M61, M60, M621 M1 trip on a abnormally hot summers day Stop Start was disabled until the oil temp returned to 90 degrees, it was 96 degrees when I left the M1. Probably took a couple of miles. In normal weather the oil temp never gets above 90 even on that trip.

But its fair to say even though it saves b***** all petrol its got to be better than sitting at urban traffic lights with the engine belching out fumes.

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - pd

But its fair to say even though it saves b***** all petrol its got to be better than sitting at urban traffic lights with the engine belching out fumes.

^^^ This.

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - mcb100
Having used quite a few stop/start systems over the past few years, in my experience the best is Mazda’s on petrol engines. No need for an enlarged battery or starter, it restarts almost instantaneously by injecting fuel and having a piston at TDC. Even their diesel system restarts in 0.4 seconds. The slowest-witted one was on a VW Tiguan diesel that had to be switched off in order to join roundabouts. By the time it had fired up, the gap had gone...
Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - FP

I can't compare with other cars, as my Mazda CX-5 petrol is my first with stop-start, but I have to agree it re-starts very promptly indeed. There seems to be minimal intervention from the starter motor and if you engage gear as you depress the clutch pedal, by the time you've lifted said pedal full power is available.

Edited by FP on 03/10/2018 at 18:26

Less than minimal use of the of the starter...
www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/i-stop/

All our cars with Stop Start have restarted instantly, never had an issue.

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - Nomag

Stop start is the first thing I turn off every time I start our Sorento, it's downright dangerous and I wish I could permanently disable it. With an automatic transmission, the potential delay it causes at roundabouts when wanting to pull out - scary!

The stop start on my Leon has been broken since I got it used at two years old. Nothing could delight me more. I don't have to remember to switch it off every time I start the engine.

I don't think these systems are as smart as they should be and agree with SLO re oil temp etc.

Now, somebody start fitting a DPF regen light as standard so we know when that's occurring!

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - fredthefifth

I'm sure I've read HJ say somewhere that on VAG DSG boxes disabling Stop Start may cause premature clutch failure, for example heavy stop start driving conditions which results in lots of clutch slipping.

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - pd

Stop/Start wasn't (originally anyway) about fuel consumption but that at any one time you have goodness knows how many hundreds of thousands of cars sitting stationary, particularly at rush hour, at traffic lights or whatever chucking out crap into the atmosphere for no good reason.

I agree some of the implementations are a bit over aggressive as to when they turn off but, as a principle, I don't think vehicles should sit with engines running unnecessarily.

Hybrids, of course, solve the delay issue and are no doubt the way we are going but I suspect at some point turning off stop/start will be removed as an option as much as you can't, legally, remove a Cat or DPF.

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - Theophilus

So ... coming back to my original question ... assuming that I don't disable Stop-Start, on the occasions when it activates while stopped in traffic - whether the engine is hot or cold - does this indicate that the system is sufficiently "intelligent" to recognise that the DPF is not in the middle of a regeneration cycle?

If so, why disable S/S, doesn't it act as a safety indicator to signal that it is safe to turn off the engine?

In principle I like the idea of engines being switched off while vehicles are stationary in traffic ( I live adjacent to a roundabout on a busy urban A road and am conscious of traffic fumes!), so have no problem with manufacturers fitting S/S and making it the default setting on turning on ignition.

So ... coming back to my original question ... assuming that I don't disable Stop-Start, on the occasions when it activates while stopped in traffic - whether the engine is hot or cold - does this indicate that the system is sufficiently "intelligent" to recognise that the DPF is not in the middle of a regeneration cycle?

On the 2 diesels we have had with DPF's stop start has been automatically deactivated during a regen.

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - paul 1963

I generally keep it switched off but this morning I left it on, pulled up at work and the engine went off but opening the drivers door caused it restart!...... what's the point in that?.. not very intelligent in my mind.

I generally keep it switched off but this morning I left it on, pulled up at work and the engine went off but opening the drivers door caused it restart!...... what's the point in that?.. not very intelligent in my mind.

The idea is I guess that you remove the keys before getting out of the car at work. On our BMW if you opened a door you had to restart the car with the button.

But how many time do you open the door when stationary in traffic?

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - Manatee

Clearly (to me, anyway) being stopped in stop/start mode isn't the same as the car being stopped with engine and 'ignition' off. Perhaps it's necessary to press the stop button when 'finished with engines'. It still seems a bit odd for the engine to start when the door is opened, I suppose it could be to prompt the necessary switch-off.

"Taking the key out" is not possible if it is in the driver's pocket as is often the case these days.

I had a rented Golf a few weeks ago with stop/start, I have to say it didn't bother me.

Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - Stackman II

I was quite impressed riding in my brother's high-spec golf which, when sat in traffic would stop the engine but would re-start it when the cruise-control radar detected the car in front had moved off.

"Taking the key out" is not possible if it is in the driver's pocket as is often the case these days

The Fabia has keyless ignition, the Superb has a key. When we get to our destination in the Fabia we press the stop/start button on the steering column which turns off the engine. When we arrive at our destination in the Superb we turn off the engine with the key.

Simples.

Given that Toyota’s 2018 R&D budget is circa £7.4 billion (over £20 million a day, 365 days a year), I’d hazard a guess that they’ve a fair understanding of the ins and outs of Stop/Start technology.
Any - Stop-Start – is it “intelligent”? - J0HNuk

My 3.5 year old Focus 1.5 TDCi stops every time the car stops. The engine is never running when the car is stationary. I like this. However, there is a railway crossing 3 minutes from my house which I go through every day. Clearly the car hasn't warmed up by then, but the stop/start kicks in. If it didn't I'd switch of the engine anyway. I'm I wrong on doing this?

90% of an engines wear is done when it is cold. More fuel is used when it is cold. Keeping the engine running when cold and stationary makes me cringe. Should I mend my ways?

I've just thought - I have no idea when my DPF is regenerating. As I do a high mileage on fast A roads, I'm assuming the DPF is working the way it was designed.