Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - clunking noise - distributed41

For the past few weeks I've been hearing a clunking noise when I stop the car either downhill or uphill, as if the weight of the car shifts in the opposite direction before it comes to rest. I never hear it when stopping on a level surface, and I don't hear it when otherwise braking, except when the car comes to a complete stop. Any thoughts what this might be?

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - clunking noise - gordonbennet

I'd be checking the spare wheel well, and all around the floor areas, under the seats, and in all storage areas, even under the bonnet, before thinking about mechanical probs, because this might turn out to be an aerosol or bottle, screwdriver or wheel locking nut or anything at all you could imagine rolling around, even the battery loose.

If it is mechanical it sounds like the sort of noise a dry propshaft UJ or slider might make, so transmission prime suspect imo, i presume its AWD so has a normal prop to the rear axle? though whether that's greasable on the Suzi i haven't a clue.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/09/2018 at 22:14

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - clunking noise - distributed41

I'd be checking the spare wheel well, and all around the floor areas, under the seats, and in all storage areas, even under the bonnet, before thinking about mechanical probs, because this might turn out to be an aerosol or bottle, screwdriver or wheel locking nut or anything at all you could imagine rolling around, even the battery loose.

Many thanks for replying Gordon, that's entirely sensible, I'll have a look!