Audi A3 Sportback - S-Tronic autobox any good? A3 2.0 TFSI or S3 - Daedalus

Its ages since I last posted here, so hopefully someone can help.

I am considering either an A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI Quattro or an S3 Sportback no more than 2 years old. I want the auto S-Tronic gearbox but have no idea how good they are or how reliable (my old S8 went through 3 gearboxes in 120000 miles (220,000 miles when I scrapped it) and I will be keeping this car for 10 years or so, so don’t want the same issues.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Daedalus on 04/09/2018 at 20:54

Audi A3 Sportback - S-Tronic autobox any good? A3 2.0 TFSI or S3 - csgmart

AFAIK the DSG in this model is much better than the version fitted to cars under 2 litres (the one that has caused all the issues).

I'm sure someone will be along to advise you not to buy this car but if it were me I wouldn't worry. I'd be more interested in making sure I got one that hadn't been thrashed or crashed by a previous owner.

Audi A3 Sportback - S-Tronic autobox any good? A3 2.0 TFSI or S3 - SLO76
VAG have never been good at making robust automatic gearboxes for some reason. In the 80’s and 90’s it was the biggest worry when buying one and today the automated manuals they use on most 4cyl cars are pretty notorious for problems. If buying new or nearly new and offloading before the manufacturer backed warranty is up then go ahead but buying used I would stick with the manual. If it’s a sporty drive you’re looking for then a manual is always more involving anyway.