SEAT Leon FR 2015 - VW TSI Engines - Mazda3Man

I know that there have been some issues with 1.2 and 1.4 petrol engines. Is anyone aware of any problems with the 1.8TSI?

Also is this engine chain or belt?

Many thanks.

SEAT Leon FR 2015 - VW TSI Engines - Big John

The EA888 1.8tsi engine is a cam chain engine. Earlier versions (pre 2012) had tensioner issues. The latest gen III engine is a really good engine and also has both port and direct injection. Not sure what date this was introduced re the FR Leon.

It should be noted that the later 1.2 and 1.4 petrol engines are NOT the EA111 cam chain engine the EA211 was gradually introduced into the whole VAG range. In the case of the 1.2 the old cam chain 8v EA111 1.2 has 105ps and visually the oil filter is at high level above the alternator whereas the EA211 1.2 has 110ps and is a totally different engine with a cam belt and the oil filter at sump level. The ports of the engine are also the other way round with the exhaust / turbo on the bulkhead side. This has been a pretty good engine as has the EA211 1.4 still in use in loads of cars in 125, 140, 150(ACT) ps forms.

Basically with a 1.2 or 1.4 if you see an oil filter at top left of the engine when you lift the bonnet it's the old EA111 cam chain engine.

Hope this helps a bit

Edited by Big John on 12/08/2018 at 23:08

SEAT Leon FR 2015 - VW TSI Engines - skidpan

Seat are the only VAG company to offer the 1.8 TSI in the UK market and its easy to see why. When I bought my 1.4 TSi 140 PS in 2013 I tried both the 1.4 140 PS and the 1.8 (think they are 180 PS) but on the road there was very little difference. A quick look at the figures and its easy to see wny. Both have exactly the same peak torque figure of 250 nM and that is because if you specify the old 7 speed DSG the 1,8 with unrestricted torque would destroy it. In continental markets the manual gets unrestricted torque but the UK importer decided it would be unfair to give manual cars better perfromance thus specified the same torque map.

So all you get for your extra cash is an additional 40 PS if you thrash it above 4000 rpm all the time (and how many of us do that). The engine is not as smooth or quiet as the newer 1.4 and it uses way more fuel. It also costs quite a bit more to insure.

Try a 1.4 140 (or 150) before you buy, I would be very surprised if you found the 1.8 worth the extra.