What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CBR 600 RR - V5C/2 reference number not recognised - Ed_Cass

Hi all

first of all sorry by my English.

I did a lot of mistakes buying this bike. I already know my mistakes and I learned the lesson but maybe is too late.

On 17/06/2018 I bought a motorcycle from a private seller.

I found this bike for sale on facebook. I sent an offer and she accepted.

Before the negotiation I told her to use the DVLA website to transfer the motorcycle onwership online because the v5 arrives quickly to my address when it is done on line

I saw the bike and everything was great. The motorcycle had a private plate (WW02...).

The previous onwer told me she want to keep the private plates. I agreeded. I did check the mot history and tax with the private plate ww02... and everything was ok.

I asked her why she want to sell the bike and she said because of the end of marriage and she is living in a new address. I met her at the new address. I been inside of her new house and she was washing her car when I met her. so she probably lives in that house.

I paid by bank transfer. At the moment of payment I gave my mobile to her only to insert her bank details. I add the reg. number CK53... as bank reference and the amount and I concluded the bank transfer. I did 2 transfer. Part of payment from my account and part osf payment from my wife's account. both with ck53... plates as reference.

We tried to transfer the onwership to me but the DVLA didn't recognise both plates (WW02... and ck53...) and the previous onwer gave me the V5c/2 (with private plate WW02 on it) and told me she will send to DVLA by post. Probably DVLA website didn't recognise the plates because she requested to take off the private plate (ww02...) and give back the old plate (CK03...) to the motorcycle.

After 2 or 3 days I did check on line the mot history and road tax and the DVLA system now recognise the motorcycle's plate (CK03...) with the same mot history.

So I tried to tax it but the DVLA do not recognise the reference number on V5C/2 because this is the old V5 part with WW02 plates. When someone request the plate changes the DVLA send a new V5 with the correct plate ck53 so my v5c/2 is not long valid.

I did check my bank accound and I realised the payment was made to another person. maybe her ex partner maybe not.

I contacted her to say she should receive the new v5 with the old plates ck53 on it. I asked for the new v5c/2 with ck53. She said she sent the old v5 WW02 with proof of plate changes. She also said she will check if she received any new v5 from DVLA at the old address. I also asked her to send me her mobile number.

She never contacted me again.

After 4 weeks I tried to contact her but she doesn't answer my messages. She read but do not answer. I sent the V62 Form to DVLA after 4 weeks (2 weeks ago).

I have the bike in another address as I live in a Flat and I can't keep it on the road as I didn't pay insurance while I am not the registered keeper.

I did a HPI check a few days ago and the ck53 plates match with VIN. HPI check also reconise the plate changes, not stolen, not scrapped, not exported, not imported, no finance, no write off, no mileage discrepancies.

I couldn't check the fraud because I don't have the V5 serial number.

Should I contact the police or should I wait to see what happens with the v62 application?

again sorry by my english.

Thank you all guys

Honda CBR 600 RR - V5C/2 reference number not recognised - RobJP

Give it a while yet.

When you apply for a V5 through using a V62, DVLa try to contact the current registered keeper to ensure that someone isn't trying to 'steal' the car from them by paperwork. They have to give the current registered keeper a certain period of time (to allow for holidays, etc) before issuing the new V5.

The DVLA paperwork says that you should allow 6 weeks before contacting them.

Honda CBR 600 RR - V5C/2 reference number not recognised - Ed_Cass

Hi RobJP

I know the DVLA send a letter to the previous owner to inform the change of ownership and she has 14 days to contact the DVLA in case something is wrong.

After I realised she is not the account holder of that account she gave me to pay for and she read but doesn't reply my messages I got worried.

Also She didn't give me the v5c/2 from the new v5 she received. Over 6 weeks and DVLA said they haven't received the v5 from her.

I applied for ownership using the v62 form 2 weeks ago and I am worried to wait 2 or 4 more weeks to see what happens.

I only could not understand why she doesn't reply my messages.

thank you for your reply

Honda CBR 600 RR - V5C/2 reference number not recognised - RobJP

Because she can't be bothered. Because she's away on holiday. Because the letter is there, and she's put it to one side, but she's got 1001 other things to do.

Because it's just the way some people are.

Honda CBR 600 RR - V5C/2 reference number not recognised - Gibbo_Wirral

Why not just go round to the house and speak to her in person?