What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ka - Car won't start - Drivethru

Hi, I had driven for about 15 mins and parked the car for 30 mins, when I started it, it stalled and then wouldn't start. The engine was making a whirring noise for about 5 mins and I could smell burning from under the bonnet, probably the drivers side. The engine was making a clicking noise then nothing. I've been towed to a garage to see what's wrong with it. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas? Thanks.

Ford Ka - Car won't start - elekie&a/c doctor

Not much to go on here.More info would be useful. Age of car, petrol ,diesel?

Ford Ka - Car won't start - Gibbo_Wirral

Whirring noise and burning - stuck starter motor?

Whirring noise and burning - stuck starter motor?

Hi, yes it needed a new starter motor. It's starting and running ok now. Is it usual to have a smell from the new motor? There's nothing when I'm driving just when a park and switch off, it's not burning just smells like a new part being run in.

Ford Ka - Car won't start - elekie&a/c doctor

Something doesn't sound right here. The starter motor only works when you turn the key to the final spring loaded position on the ignition switch. The starter does nothing when you switch off and park.Starter motors do not need to be "run in".

Something doesn't sound right here. The starter motor only works when you turn the key to the final spring loaded position on the ignition switch. The starter does nothing when you switch off and park.Starter motors do not need to be "run in".

I'm starting to worry now. So the smell must be from something else and not the starter motor?

Ford Ka - Car won't start - Dorset123

It will be worth checking the ignition switch/lock function, is it keeping the starter motor engaged when the engine is running. This is a common fault on the cars I work with and no matter how many starters you put on they will keep burning out. Get it checked before driving it again.

It will be worth checking the ignition switch/lock function, is it keeping the starter motor engaged when the engine is running. This is a common fault on the cars I work with and no matter how many starters you put on they will keep burning out. Get it checked before driving it again.

Thanks, would that smell all the time though? It's strange that when I'm driving and I have all the air vents open so I can smell anything, there's nothing. It's just when it's turned off and parked, that's why I thought it was a new part smell but I don't really know anything about it and it does seem to be wearing off now.