What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Which estate car - Toon49

Looking to get an estate car which is more practical in terms of boot size than my current saloon. Looking to get something 1-2 years old with less than 10,000 miles for £12-15,000.

Currently looking at Vauxhall Astra sports tourer and Kia sportswagon as can get preregistered astra and 7 year warranty on the Kia.

Obviously other options but more milage or more expensive for a similar price but is Toyota/honda worth that?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Which estate car - SLO76
I’d add the Toyota Auris 1.2T which has a 5yr warranty and Honda Civic Tourer with either the 1.6 DTEC or 1.8 petrol depending on how many miles you’ll be doing. Both of them will hold their money better as they age than the Astra or Kia plus I’d leave the Astra alone if you’re aiming for a diesel as the Fiat designed motors do not have a great reputation for longterm reliability.

The Kia is a sensible option if you get an approved used example with a full dealer history to preserve that excellent warranty but at 7yrs plus it’ll be next to worthless.

Test drive them all to see if you can live with them first.
Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Which estate car - nellyjak

Obviously other options but more milage or more expensive for a similar price but is Toyota/honda worth that?

Yes.

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Which estate car - Ian_SW

If you're looking at the Ceed, you should also have a look at the Hyundai i30 which is very similar and shares a lot of components, albeit with a 5 year rather than 7 year warranty. Having driven both many miles in both as hire cars, I find the seats and cabin environment slightly better in the Hyundai too.

The Ceed is about to be replaced by a new model (there was a review on here a few days ago), but the i30 was replaced about a year or so ago. This could work in your favour in two ways depending on what you want. Having had a quick look at Autotrader, the old model i30 looks to be about £1500 to £2000 cheaper than the equivalent Ceed. Alternatively you could get a 'nearly new' of the current model i30 in the lower specs for the budget and still be driving around in the current model in five years time. The current model i30 also has better engine options than the Kia if you're after petrol.

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Which estate car - daveyK_UK

I had an astra estate recently on hire, good car and good size boot