What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi boss arrested - barney100

Rupert Stadler has been arrested over the dieselgate scandal for fraud.

Audi boss arrested - craig-pd130

Good. It's only the actual, real threat of criminal action against senior executives that has any chance of curbing that sort of corporate fraud.

Audi boss arrested - expat

It is no use fining the bosses. The company pays the fine for them and it is only petty cash so they write it off as a business expense. The only real deterrent is jail and I can't see that happening.

Audi boss arrested - argybargy

No doubt he drives a very nice car. Do they still build Trabants? Maybe make the punishment fit the crime and sentence him to drive one for the next ten years.

Audi boss arrested - Leif

Or a Reliant Robin. Either way, I like the idea.

Audi boss arrested - drd63
At least people might let him out at junctions. Against my better judgement I stopped to let an A7 out at a notoriously sticky junction. Any other driver normally gives some sign of appreciation, nod, wave, smile, but guess what? Yep, nothing.
Audi boss arrested - John F

It is no use fining the bosses. The company pays the fine for them and it is only petty cash so they write it off as a business expense. The only real deterrent is jail and I can't see that happening.

..and I can well believe that someone so senior and remote from the action might not even have known about the shenanigans of apparently just one or two relatively junior engineers.

also, it would take a hefty fine to make any sort of dent in his lifestyle!.......

finapp.co.in/rupert-stadler-net-worth/

Audi boss arrested - Leif

..and I can well believe that someone so senior and remote from the action might not even have known about the shenanigans of apparently just one or two relatively junior engineers.

Having worked for decades in engineering, I cannot believe that one or two junior engineers would get away with creating a defeat device. These companies have large engineering teams, with designers, coders, testers and managers. It would be very hard for one or two engineers to get away with it. And why would junior engineers do such a thing? Why risk your job for something that would require senior authorisation? Frankly I find it hard to understand how this could have been done. But for sure the top dog might not have known. He might have issued the order to comply with regulations, and put on so much pressure that those below him cheated. But I still can't understand how a team could do this, unless a middle manager got one or two engineers who were close associates to add a 'fix'. And even then how did others not know, or complain?

It's curious that this seems to have taken place in many companies, and not just VAG ones.

Audi boss arrested - TheGentlemanThug

Makes me wonder if CEOs from other vehicle manufacturers have been up to the same thing? After all, if a VW, a Ford and a Toyota have similar CO2 outputs comparative to engine size, what's not to say the latter two are up to no good as well?

Between 30-50 seconds of this video is how I could picture Rupert Stadler's day in court, assuming he had one:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k0pcfBoJss

Audi boss arrested - Brit_in_Germany

And at last he has got to court.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54357013

The wheels of justice and all that.

Audi boss arrested - misar

Makes me wonder if CEOs from other vehicle manufacturers have been up to the same thing? After all, if a VW, a Ford and a Toyota have similar CO2 outputs comparative to engine size, what's not to say the latter two are up to no good as well?

VW's problem was the toxic nitrogen oxide levels not the CO2 outputs. High NOx levels and particulates are the main reason for urban low emission zones.

I was both NOx and CO2, the latter controlling how much tax was due at least in Germany, hence the charge of fraud.

Mercedes has been alleged to be doing the same sort of emissions cheating. Lots of Mercs have been recalled and updated as a result. Do a Google search on "Mercedes Dieselgate" and you will find lots of reports.

Audi boss arrested - dan86

Mercedes has been alleged to be doing the same sort of emissions cheating. Lots of Mercs have been recalled and updated as a result. Do a Google search on "Mercedes Dieselgate" and you will find lots of reports.

I think all the big deisel engine manufacturers have been up to it its industry wide.

Audi boss arrested - Falkirk Bairn

>>all the big diesel engine manufacturers have been up to it its industry wide.

Like every industry the competitors all watch each other like a hawks. They watch & buy others latest cars/engines/gearboxes/ electronics etc strip it, examine it, reverse engineer it / "copy" it, cost it ........

Equally there are on a small number of large suppliers of "bought in components & technology" from fuel injection, turbos, electronics, catalytic converters etc etc so they must all have the same problems either that or a few geniuses that cracked the problems rather than cheating tests.

Audi boss arrested - Engineer Andy

>>all the big diesel engine manufacturers have been up to it its industry wide.

Like every industry the competitors all watch each other like a hawks. They watch & buy others latest cars/engines/gearboxes/ electronics etc strip it, examine it, reverse engineer it / "copy" it, cost it ........

Equally there are on a small number of large suppliers of "bought in components & technology" from fuel injection, turbos, electronics, catalytic converters etc etc so they must all have the same problems either that or a few geniuses that cracked the problems rather than cheating tests.

I'm surprised that no-one from Bosch has been hauled over the coals, as wasn't it them who implemented the 'software cheat' on their parts?

I think all the big deisel engine manufacturers have been up to it its industry wide.

I hadn't heard of the Japs or Koreans doing it. Until they start jailing corporate bosses they will continue to pull shonky tricks knowing that the company will pay any fine.

Audi boss arrested - madf

I hadn't heard of the Japs or Koreans doing it. Until they start jailing corporate bosses they will continue to pull shonky tricks knowing that the company will pay any fine.

Both the Japanese and Koreans gave up on diesel engines due to... emissions!!!

Audi boss arrested - RT

Both the Japanese and Koreans gave up on diesel engines due to... emissions!!!

I'm not aware that Hyundai/Kia have given up on diesels - the 2.0/2.2 R-series continues to meet the latest EU requirements.

I wonder whether any of these execs (presumably out on bail) will do a 'Ghosn' and do a bunk, spy-style, to a non-treaty third nation?

Audi boss arrested - dan86

I wonder whether any of these execs (presumably out on bail) will do a 'Ghosn' and do a bunk, spy-style, to a non-treaty third nation?

What would you do if you had the funds available? I am just an ordinary hared working citizen but I would possibly be tempted if I had the cash to evade a lengthy prison sentence.

What would you do if you had the funds available? I am just an ordinary hared working citizen but I would possibly be tempted if I had the cash to evade a lengthy prison sentence.

I wouldn't have broken the law or done unethical things in the first place, resigned and brought the others' actions involved to the eattention of the authorities and the media, as I could afford to.

If I was a more junior person, I'd have just left the firm and, if there was no way for it to get back to me, I'd leak information to the media.

Not trying to sound superior, just law-abiding.

If the law gives engineers loopholes to exploit, they would not be doing their job if they did not do so. Why do you think Ferrari are doing so badly in this year's F1?