What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus tdci 11 plate - Advice needed - Loulery
Hi all,

Our car is under an AA warranty and was brought from a local ford garage in mar 2016. From Summer 2017 we have repeatedly had engine malfunction message or engine management light come up. Our lower engine has now failed and i just need to know where we stand so I'll give you all the events.

June 2017 - engine light on and halfords say need a new solenoid, aa covered this

Nov 2017 - Turbo failed aa cover we just pay for parts that aren't covered for turbo change

leave garage get home light back on halfords say to drive for a few days so can do a reading it stays on and start to get a strong burning smell so it goes back and told faulty turbo so new one ordered and put in

Dec 17 - engine light on told turbo again and need new lambda sensor aa will cover sensor and i guess turbo on part warranty?

Jan 18 - engine light again take it in turbo again and told need new egr valve again aa cover valve turbo on part warranty?

Apr 18 - engine light take to halfords they now do a full check incl electrical and have car for 4 days, tell me it's a pressure valve/fan? and aa will cover

- next day car is rattling and phone halfords and aa (to complain) we are told to take it back on way engine light comes on, within a few hrs halfords tell us lower engine catostrophic failure due possibly due to carbon deposits that caused engine to be starved of oil.

Halfords also told me this is a known problem with engine type so why was this not checked surely repeated turbo fails would point to something like this?

Now waiting on AA to do investigations they have requested all paperwork from halfords incl pics so now waiting on a decision.

Any advice incase i need to fight my corner?

Thank you x
Ford Focus tdci 11 plate - Advice needed - gordonbennet

This thread shows a small snapshot of the scale of this problem

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91541

and this photo heavy pdf file shows you what is likely to be found inside your engine, scroll to the very last section for the list of jobs which should be undertaken before a new turbo is fitted to this engine, as you can see fitting a new turbo to one of these engines is a long winded and expensive job if done correctly, and even then there is no guarantee that more carbonised muck isn't lurking ready to put you back to square one

www.theturboguy.com/uploads/1/0/3/5/10358883/api-p...f

Ford Focus tdci 11 plate - Advice needed - Gibbo_Wirral

Sounds to me like Halfords are throwing parts at the car, knowing AA warrranty will pick up the tab.