What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda HRV or Toyota CHR- What Car - Steveieb

The Japanese seem to have at long last got their styling right, enough to appeal to my partner at least. But which to choose between these exciting cars. Is the Hrv Japanese built and the Chr Turkish ? She would choose the petrol manual but which one and can you get one with a decent ride ?

Edited by Avant on 09/04/2018 at 16:35

Honda Hrv of Toyota Chr - What Car - skidpan

We looked at the HRV last month. Nice shape, plenty of space, decent kit, fair price but saddled with a non-turbo petrol with little torque. With a different engine it would have featured on our final list.

The shape puts me off the Toyota every time I see one. The designers should be sacked, way too complicated.

Honda Hrv of Toyota Chr - What Car - daveyK_UK

Both good cars

I would go with the toyota based on the longer warranty

Honda Hrv of Toyota Chr - What Car - Steveieb
Sounds like the Toyota wins hands down.
Can you recommend a model and engine .
Would like a decent ride
Honda Hrv of Toyota Chr - What Car - SLO76
Sounds like the Toyota wins hands down. Can you recommend a model and engine . Would like a decent ride

Both good cars, I doubt you’d ever have a problem with either. I’ve a neighbour with the Toyota, it’s a hybrid and he seems very pleased with it. Personally I’m not keen on the styling, I think it’ll age quickly. But it’s well made, different and both the 1.2 turbo and 1.8 hybrid should give no problems at all. The Honda is much more conservative in every way and again there’s nothing to fear but the 1.5 does lack midrange pull. The excellent 1.6 diesel is the pick here but it doesn’t suit low mileage use. All depends on your own taste really, both will give reliable longterm service. The Mazda CX-3 is another worthy too.

Edited by SLO76 on 08/04/2018 at 09:32

Honda Hrv of Toyota Chr - What Car - badbusdriver
Sounds like the Toyota wins hands down. Can you recommend a model and engine . Would like a decent ride

You may have a problem finding a version with a decent ride. Being 'trendy' small SUV's, both are likely to be fitted with large diameter wheels along with ultra low profile tyres, which are not conducive towards a cushy ride!. Find out which versions have the smallest diameter wheels and have a test drive along some bad roads to see what you think.

Honda Hrv of Toyota Chr - What Car - RichT54

You may have a problem finding a version with a decent ride. Being 'trendy' small SUV's, both are likely to be fitted with large diameter wheels along with ultra low profile tyres, which are not conducive towards a cushy ride!. Find out which versions have the smallest diameter wheels and have a test drive along some bad roads to see what you think.

My C-HR Excel has 18" wheels but the tyres are 225/50/18 Michelin Primacy3 and I find the ride to be very comfortable and the handling very good, with little body roll in the corners.

Honda Hrv of Toyota Chr - What Car - badbusdriver

My C-HR Excel has 18" wheels but the tyres are 225/50/18 Michelin Primacy3 and I find the ride to be very comfortable and the handling very good, with little body roll in the corners.

That is fair enough, but it depends on your own point of view. A lot of people criticise the ride on the jazz, but i don't have a problem with it. Don't get me wrong, a magic carpet it aint', but i find it perfectly acceptable.

Honda Hrv of Toyota Chr - What Car - gordonbennet

Find out which versions have the smallest diameter wheels and have a test drive along some bad roads to see what you think.

Agree with the sensible wheel option.

Some dealers have a preferred test drive route which will show the car in its best light or rather not allow its failings to be too noticeable, people might have to be prepared to be forceful to go 'off route', this is probably worse at production line type sales establishments.

I doubt if many here would be so bullied, but there are enough posts from irregulars to realise there are people who get pushed into buying vehicles that prove totally unsuitable in a matter of weeks.

Honda Hrv of Toyota Chr - What Car - xtrailman

Only Mazda have the styling right IMO.

Get her into a Mazda model and i think she will suprise you, my son bought a 2L NA Mazda 3 in preference to the more powerfull higher rated by whatcar seat.

Honda Hrv of Toyota Chr - What Car - Leif
I’m curious what this offers over a VW Golf or similar. The latter will have more rear space, and better performance, whilst being a similar length. It doesn’t seem to be particularly high off the ground, so not off road capable. Toyota build though, so quality, but modest mpg.

Toyota are not noted for handling so it depends what you want.

I like a sporty hard ride and use 225x55x19 on my car, some models use 225x60x17 with reduced handling.

I've had an Audi before with sports suspension on 225x45x17 and the ride was too hard.

Honda Hrv of Toyota Chr - What Car - skidpan

Toyota are not noted for handling so it depends what you want.

I like a sporty hard ride and use 225x55x19 on my car, some models use 225x60x17 with reduced handling.

I've had an Audi before with sports suspension on 225x45x17 and the ride was too hard.

I cannot see how the 225 55 19 and 225 60 17 are official alternatives on the same model of car. There is a 30mm difference in diameter between the two tyre sizes. Normally there is ony a couple of mm.

We had a Kia Ceed with 225 45 17 and compared to the 205 55 16 we used in winter the ride was hard, much preferred 55's. But I was stunned when we test drove the Fabia. It was fitted with 215 45 16 tyres and the ride was fine, better than the Note which has 195 55 16 tyres fitted. I tried another Fabia just to be certain before ordering and there was no issue with ride at all.

Its not 60 profile but 65, my error.

Honda Hrv of Toyota Chr - What Car - Steveieb
Many thanks for your contributions. really appreciated.

My daughter has ordered a Mazda 3 with the 2 litre petrol engine as a replacement for her VW Polo Gti for delivery September. wonder if there will be a new model by then . This is another option for my partner

But thanks to you we are looking at the Toyota non hybrid with 18 inch wheels . Assume it will have the 1.2 turbo engine .
Honda Hrv of Toyota Chr - What Car - RichT54
Many thanks for your contributions. really appreciated. My daughter has ordered a Mazda 3 with the 2 litre petrol engine as a replacement for her VW Polo Gti for delivery September. wonder if there will be a new model by then . This is another option for my partner But thanks to you we are looking at the Toyota non hybrid with 18 inch wheels . Assume it will have the 1.2 turbo engine .

If it's the non-hybrid, then it will be the 1.2T which is available as a manual, automatic (CVT) or automatic + 4 wheel drive. It's not particularly quick with 0-62mph in around 11 seconds, but if you switch to "Sport" mode, the throttle becomes much more responsive and the steering more weighted. Fuel consumption is not too impressive, my calculations give an average of 39.0 mpg so far. All models have an electric parking brake.

A lot of people don't like the limited rearward visibility, but it doesn't bother me at all while driving; although the parking sensors and reversing camera are invaluable when parking.

18" wheels are standard on Excel, Red Edition and Dynamic models. 17" wheels are standard on the entry level Icon model.

There has been an issue with windscreens spontaneously breaking near the top. Some people have even had 2 or 3 replacement screens crack. There seem to be two main theories for the cause 1) it's caused by having the DAB aerial embedded at the top right of the screen, or 2) the top of the screen was made too thin. I have read that the problem is supposed to have been fixed and screens produced after July 2017 should be OK. Something to bear in mind if buying second-hand.

Useful info can be found at: https://www.chrforums.uk/ where you can also download a copy of the owner's manual.