EV Dissertation Questionnaire - jonty devine

Hi, im a student at Stirling University and I am writing my dissertation on the adoption of Electric Vehicles. The title is " The adoption of new technology:Focussing on Electric Vehicles"
The aims of the research were to identify links between consumer characteristics and factors that influence adoption.
If you could take part it would be much appreciated, shouldn’t take longer than 10/15 minutes max. The link is below, feel free to ask any questions and please spread the word if you can.

Electric Vehicle Dissertation

Thank you very much

EV Dissertation Questionnaire - MGspannerman
I did try and fill in your questionnaire but found it to contain a number of issues. Firstly you need to check it thoroughly for spelling and grammatical errors. It looks as if you have added a short explanation to one of the questions, concerning a table of characteristics of electric vehicles, that reads particularly badly as even you don’t seem to quite understand what you are trying to say!

The main point I would make is that your questionnaire contains a number of double assumptive questions. That is to say that the question assumes a pre-condition to a circumstance. An “if this - then that” style of question. Asking me, for example, if I had fibre broadband would I watch more online films gives very little insight into opinion or behaviour. Answers to such questions are notoriously unreliable.

There are some other issues of design and layout. There appear to be a number of irrelevant questions, each question should build to answering the research question. Whilst I cannot comment in detail it would appear this is a little unfocused and a rather general data trawl. Also you ask for qualification data (age, sex etc) at the front end, this is where you should normally ask your most important questions whilst the respondent is fresh and engaged, and can then plod through the boring routine bits at the end.

Please take my comments as supportive and positive. Well done on having a go and I wish you so ccess with your project.
EV Dissertation Questionnaire - RT
I did try and fill in your questionnaire but found it to contain a number of issues. Firstly you need to check it thoroughly for spelling and grammatical errors. It looks as if you have added a short explanation to one of the questions, concerning a table of characteristics of electric vehicles, that reads particularly badly as even you don’t seem to quite understand what you are trying to say! The main point I would make is that your questionnaire contains a number of double assumptive questions. That is to say that the question assumes a pre-condition to a circumstance. An “if this - then that” style of question. Asking me, for example, if I had fibre broadband would I watch more online films gives very little insight into opinion or behaviour. Answers to such questions are notoriously unreliable. There are some other issues of design and layout. There appear to be a number of irrelevant questions, each question should build to answering the research question. Whilst I cannot comment in detail it would appear this is a little unfocused and a rather general data trawl. Also you ask for qualification data (age, sex etc) at the front end, this is where you should normally ask your most important questions whilst the respondent is fresh and engaged, and can then plod through the boring routine bits at the end. Please take my comments as supportive and positive. Well done on having a go and I wish you so ccess with your project.

It certainly didn't give the opportunity to indicate where present and planned EV's are simply not suitable for some people.

A question about average daily mileage assumes that everyone is a regular commuter - some of us will do about 5 miles/day or 400-600 miles/day, any average being meaningless

EV Dissertation Questionnaire - ExA35Owner

My issue is with your sampling. I don't know where else you have publicised this survey, but any methodology needs to look closely at how representative the sample is of the population you are studying. As it is, you have self-selected respondents from relatively unknown sources, and you can't tell how this relates to the population of car-buying public.

EV Dissertation Questionnaire - RaineMan

I tend to agree with earlier comments. Over the last few years I have been invited to participate in a number of surveys forming part of a dissertation ranging from transport to medical issues. Sadly I have found many vague and badly presented for which I blame the supervisors as much as the students. When I did my degree dissertations came in at MSc level and not BSc but this at BSc level seems an increasing trend resulting in little originality. Sorry I will not be participating!

Edited by RaineMan on 02/03/2018 at 11:37

EV Dissertation Questionnaire - MGspannerman
I do agree with the previous reply, the supervisor should be quality controlling the material that enters the public domain. I note a name and email address appears on the project brief and was mischievously tempted to drop him a line! Constructing a valid questionnaire is surprisingly intricate and even preparing one can in itself be a significant challenge.

Students are often required to conduct a piece of independent study at undergraduate level these days. It can be advisable to focus the project to something like student buying habits where there is an immediately available and hopefully cooperative body of respondents. Let’s not be too hard on this student though, he is after all learning and having a go. A path I trod myself a good time previously.
EV Dissertation Questionnaire - Avant

I had a look at this, and unless you've driven an EV or hybrid (which apart from test-driving a couple of Toyotas and a Lexus, I haven't) I don't think any answers I give about them would have any validity. Sorry!

EV Dissertation Questionnaire - Oli rag
I think that one or two people are being too hard on this chap. Apart from the question with “renewable” being an option twice, I thought it was reasonably written.

I suspect after the kicking he has received, he probably regrets asking for help on here.
EV Dissertation Questionnaire - RaineMan

I just want to reassure the student I was not giving him a kicking. It was more a case of being critical of his supervisor and bringing in dissertations at the first degree stage where anything is unilkely to be original. Maybe this is why the supervison of them is poor - to many to supervise!

There have been a lot of changes in education over the years and, unfortuneately, many have not been for the better!

EV Dissertation Questionnaire - FP

"It was more a case of being critical of his supervisor and bringing in dissertations at the first degree stage where anything is unilkely to be original."

I'm not sure what is meant by this. Are you objecting to dissertations at first degree stage? If so, there may be an issue with the term "dissertation", which may range from a substantial PhD thesis to a small research project, as here. (Or maybe this is part of a bigger project.)

Also, the researcher describes his research (unhelpfully) as part of an undergraduate/postgraduate project, so we don't know if it's first-degree stage anyway.

Finally, from my personal experience of post-graduate research (i.e. at the levels of master's and post-master's research - MPhil/PhD) I am clear that the supervisor's role is not to guide the detail of a research project. The student is expected to function autonomously. He may well eventually be subject to criticism and/or poor marks for any errors of expression, intellectually suspect ideas, weakly constructed research processes and so on. Supervision sessions, where work in progress is discussed, should bring problems to the surface before a crucial point is reached, of course. But we don't know what stage the research in question is at.

So I think it's unfair to criticise the supervisor. As for criticising the student, I suggest we all try to be helpful. Certainly, if I was looking over his work (and I do support lower-level students) I would be pointing out poor expression and other intellectual issues with the logic of the questions, how well the topic was being addressed and so on. But I would be supportive, not destructive.