What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Evoque in ditch - RT

On local lunchtime news just seen an Evoque in a ditch. Bet the driver thought they'd be safe in their Land Rover on a main road in snowy conditions. Perhaps they've learnt a lesson.

When a brand uses the strap-line "the best 4x4 by far" it's inevitable that some drivers think they're invincible.

Many Evoques a FWD on summer tyres - so a heavy Ford Focus really!

Evoque in ditch - madf

On local lunchtime news just seen an Evoque in a ditch. Bet the driver thought they'd be safe in their Land Rover on a main road in snowy conditions. Perhaps they've learnt a lesson.

When a brand uses the strap-line "the best 4x4 by far" it's inevitable that some drivers think they're invincible.

Many Evoques a FWD on summer tyres - so a heavy Ford Focus really!

Most wouldn't know.

See Letters to HJ this weekend in DT where someone bought a 4wd Toyota RAV4 hybrid but asked how they knew it was one as they thought it never used 4wd and how could they tell...

Evoque in ditch - nick62

I guess the same driver would be capable of crashing a pram?

Never fails to amaze me how some drivers don't adjust their driving style to suit the conditions. You only have to see the ones on the motorway who still do 70+ in the fast lane when the rain is so torrential that 30 mph is too fast.

Evoque in ditch - daveyjp

During the last snow period a friend was very pleased in telling her husband how well their X trail had coped.

They live halfway up a hillside and she was so happy to have a 4x4 as she had been stranded in other vehicles.

He then asked her if she knew she had to switch it from 2wd to 4wd? She didn't and hadn't!

She did well because of the proper tyres fitted.

Evoque in ditch - hillman

I heard of a chap whose wife had to abandon their 4x4 when it snowed and walk home. When her husband got home from work she told him where it was. He walked there, put the transmission into four wheel drive and drove it home. When he arrived home it was to a row as to why he hadn’t told his wife about the purpose of the levers.

When it snows in our avenue I have learned that if I clear the driveway straight away the surface dries and stays that way (it helps if the sun is shining). The driveway is steep with varying inclinations. If I leave the snow on the driveway the layer next to the concrete surface sometimes melts and later turns to ice. I then have difficulty getting the car up some days even though the car is all wheel drive with winter tyres. Even walking up the driveway is difficult.

I have a new neighbour opposite who has a much steeper and shorter driveway. The driveway has a flight of steps next to it and no barrier between them. At the worst there is a fall of a couple of feet off the edge of the driveway onto the steps. He also has a 4x4 that he keeps at the bottom of his driveway. I wrote a note warning him about the need to keep the driveway clear. He ignored my note. The next morning he drove the 4x4 up his driveway across the fresh snow. I hope that he doesn’t get confident and assume that he can do that every time.

Evoque in ditch - oldroverboy.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/27/rented-100k-ra.../

MUCH MUCH Funnier!

Evoque in ditch - Andrew-T

MUCH MUCH Funnier!

Weeelll, yes and no. Silly people getting themselves into a predicament is funny, but the rest is not IMHO.

Evoque in ditch - gordonbennet

Our driveway sounds similar to yours Hillman, we struggled getting the Subaru up the drive in the previous heavy snow one day despite winter tyres, though the Landcruiser just breezed up.

Later that day the penny dropped why and i could have kicked meself, i had not switched the traction control (VSR) off and it was hampering things by cutting power to wheels where it detected slip just like normal TC would had the car been 2WD, with VSR off it was just as good as the Toyota.

Evoque in ditch - Engineer Andy

One things I've always found made a decent amount of difference was how the weight of the vehicle was distributed over the tyres - car with fat tyres (mainly low profile ones) had much more of a difficult time than ones that were not so wide and higher profile. As others have said, many cars with 4WD come shod on summer tyres, and often wide, low profile ones at that. I'd personally take a 2WD car shod on 55 profile or higher tyres that aren't really wide as well.

Touch wood I've never really had much of a problem driving in snowy conditions (as has been said, driving style makes just as much of a difference as equipment) on such tyres (mine are 205/55 R16s summer tyres on a 2WD car), but may consider (the price difference being about £100 - £125 for 4 tyres) going all-season next time.

I'll find out from my sister over the next week how she gets on driving her new Audi TT 4WD with ultra low profile summer tyres - she's never owned a performance car before, so it'll be interesting to see how she gets on in the current snowy weather conditions.

Evoque in ditch - Ethan Edwards

My T30 Xtrail - even in "2wd" mode would still automatically engage AWD when it detects a slippage. So does the 2.0dci Qashqai that I drove in to work this morning. However I had it in "Auto" mode and which engages AWD (when it detects that it needs it) earlier. The third position is "LOCK" which additionally locks the Centre diff when you need to get out of mud /snow in which you are stuck. It automatically disengages above 30mph irrespective of hte swith' position.

It's a very clever system that needs virtually no driver input.

I should add that I also run mine on All Season tyres that have the Mud n Snow mountain symbol on them. This helps too.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 27/02/2018 at 17:30

Evoque in ditch - Falkirk Bairn

>>When a brand uses the strap-line "the best 4x4 by far" it's inevitable that some drivers think they're invincible.

The Laws of Physics still apply - 4WD/2WD!

Evoque in ditch - RobJP

Here in rural North Wales, I was outside clearing the snow off our drive at 7am this morning - we've got a small farm, and it's about a 100 metre drive with a steep last bit before you get to the road, so I always do that bit. Cleared the snow off the (RWD) BMW fitted with Pirelli Sottozero winter tyres (18" wheels) and then proceeded to drive to work, at a nice gentle pace, and with no drama. SWMBO also drove to work about an hour later in the Forester, with similar amounts of drama.

This being prepared malarkey isn't half boring.

Evoque in ditch - piggy

Evoque in a ditch? Best place for it. I hate them and their drivers with a passion. Usually driven by townies trying to show off to us rustics.

Evoque in ditch - pyruse

I think a lot of 4WD drivers forget that their vehicles are not any better at stopping than any other (in fact, frequently worse as they tend to be heavy).

All cars have 4 wheel braking, after all.

Evoque in ditch - SteveLee

I think a lot of 4WD drivers forget that their vehicles are not any better at stopping than any other (in fact, frequently worse as they tend to be heavy).

All cars have 4 wheel braking, after all.

Even with ABS and various stability control systems the fact that the all wheels are driven (with a proper 4wd vehicle) will mean less reliance on electronic trickery and better inherent stability whilst braking in poor conditions.

Evoque in ditch - barney100

Best car I ever had for driving in the snow was an old style Fiat Panda. It dragged you through the white stuff very well.

I’ve been out and about in the Forester today, the only time vehicle stability activated was when I wanted it to.

Its the first serious snow we’ve had while I’ve had the car so it was interesting to see how it coped.

My drive is at the head of an uphill cul de sac which no one had driven on, 4-6 inches of snow.

Went out and on return no problem reversing up at gentle pace.
Evoque in ditch - RobJP

As before, I drove to work this morning in the RWD BMW with winter tyres on it with no problems at all. SWMBO took the Forester out too. We both got home fine this afternoon as well.

We have, however, now moved both cars to about half a mile from home, down at the bottom of the hill. Myself because the BMW is in for a service tomorrow, and SWMBO because she's got to take her mum to a hospital appointment. Conditions are getting considerably worse, and it just seems the wiser move.

Evoque in ditch - Mr Carrot Cake
I’ve been out and about in the Forester today, the only time vehicle stability activated was when I wanted it to. Its the first serious snow we’ve had while I’ve had the car so it was interesting to see how it coped. My drive is at the head of an uphill cul de sac which no one had driven on, 4-6 inches of snow. Went out and on return no problem reversing up at gentle pace.

Out of interest do you have winter tyres or summer tyres?

Edited by Mr Carrot Cake on 01/03/2018 at 20:06

OEM on Foresters are Yokohama Geolander which are M&S stamped, so ideal for the conditions and mine are far from new having covered 32,000 miles.

Best car I ever had for driving in the snow was an old style Fiat Panda. It dragged you through the white stuff very well.

That would be thanks to the narrow tyres. The cars I've seen struggle the most this week have been executive cars like the Audi A6, A8, BMWs, Mercs with super-wide tyres (and of course rear wheel drive)

Evoque in ditch - xtrailman

All thats required with an xtrail is to use auto position for the AWD, its very rare you will need to use "lock" except when off road, and lock will cut out above some speed around 26mph.

For 9 years all i used was the "auto" selection.

Some Xtrails were FWD only.

I really dislike Evoques and cars like them. Unnecessarily big, poncy cars.

Evoque in ditch - hillman

"barney100

Best car I ever had for driving in the snow was an old style Fiat Panda. It dragged you through the white stuff very well."

The local GP in conversation told me that 25 years ago all the GPs in Buxton had Fiat Panda 4x4s with skinny tyres. None of them ever got stuck in the snow. If it snows Buxton seems to get it worse.

SWMBO and I watched of our neighbours on Wednesday evening trying to do a three point turn in the avenue. He/she was driving an Audi A5 and I think that he/she was trying to avoid the hill at the end of the avenue and to leave via the 'main' road (in the direction he/she was coming from). He/she tried to reverse onto the pavement outside our driveway, which is 'relieved' whilst avoiding the car parked opposite. It is a difficult manoeuvre at the best of times. The snow pack defeated him/her and he/she was lucky to avoid the car opposite. He/she tried again a few houses down the avenue but with the same result. What transpired eventually we don't know because of the poor visibility.

Evoque in ditch - Bromptonaut

Remenber 30 or so years ago walking with my late Father round edge of Ilkley Moor and noticing the number of 4x4 Pandas in and around Burley Woodhead,

Evoque in ditch - badbusdriver

In various rural mountainous parts of Europe, particularly Italy, the original panda 4x4 is still a very popular car due to it's ability to keep on moving in snow, it's simplicity, and it's size.

Evoque in ditch - gordonbennet

In various rural mountainous parts of Europe, particularly Italy, the original panda 4x4 is still a very popular car due to it's ability to keep on moving in snow, it's simplicity, and it's size.

Even in 2WD form the original little square Panda/Marbella could go places that 4x4's would struggle.

Evoque in ditch - Ethan Edwards

Simple small fwd car inexpensive decent ground clearance little skinny tyres. Gentlemen the new Panda...the Suzuki Ignis. You can even specify it in a 4x4 version.

youtu.be/od_uSn_M_GQ

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 04/03/2018 at 21:37