What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic 2017 - CVT GEARBOX OIL CHANGE - privateinvestor

Hi,

The allnew Honda Civic is designed witha CVT auto gearbox oil service at 25,000 mile intervals. What do backroomers think ...is this OTT. it seems the complete opposit of the filed for life nonsense of other manufacturers....

Thank you

Honda Civic 2017 - CVT GEARBOX OIL CHANGE - RT

It looks like the CVT is being dumped and replaced with a DSG - for which short intervals are necessary.

Honda Civic 2017 - CVT GEARBOX OIL CHANGE - privateinvestor

It's a 7 speed CVT

Honda Civic 2017 - CVT GEARBOX OIL CHANGE - skidpan

It's a 7 speed CVT

CVT stands for Continuously Variable Transmission. There is only 2 speeds in it, forward and reverse. But some electronic trickery makes it lock at various points when you put it into a certain mode (forgot what its called) and it appears to have 7 ratios. But its really all smoke and mirrors.

Honda Civic 2017 - CVT GEARBOX OIL CHANGE - galileo

It's a 7 speed CVT

At the risk of being thought pedantic, CV stands for 'Continuosly Variable' so the 7 speed arrngement is, I think, programmed to give the effect of different ratio steps rather than having 7 actual gears.

Edit - Skidpan beat me to it!

Edited by galileo on 27/01/2018 at 18:01

Honda Civic 2017 - CVT GEARBOX OIL CHANGE - gordonbennet

It's unusually short interval for a gearbox oil change, on most cars its around 40k miles.

However, i agree far better than the ludicrous sealed for life, which translates as we aint bothered when it goes bang out of warranty.

What sort of menu cost are we talking about here, oil made from angel tears think of a number and tack a row of zeros on/ or sensible 2 or 3 litres of fair priced oil and half an hour's labour?

Honda Civic 2017 - CVT GEARBOX OIL CHANGE - bathtub tom

Think about conventional cogs and gears and compare it to a metal snake sliding up and down metal pulleys.

I'm in favour of regular CVT gearbox oil changes.

Honda Civic 2017 - CVT GEARBOX OIL CHANGE - Metropolis.
My TD5 automatic service schedule says replace fluid (I also do filter) every 24,000 miles/2years.
The official land rover maintenance schedule says this as does Haynes.
Honda Civic 2017 - CVT GEARBOX OIL CHANGE - gordonbennet
My TD5 automatic service schedule says replace fluid (I also do filter) every 24,000 miles/2years. The official land rover maintenance schedule says this as does Haynes.

How refreshing.

Landcruisers going backwards? mine is supposed never to need changing, filled with all singing and dancing WS (world standard) synthetic Dexron 6.

You'll be glad to know i gave that recommendation a good ignoring and treated it to a full flush through with new fluid last summer, another retrograde step is the removal of the gearbox dipstick, you have to faff about getting the box up to a certain temp and remove the level plug which is near the drain plug under the sump, talk about fixing what wasn't broken, hopefully Mr Toyoda has allocated engineers to reverse such backwards modernising trends like this.

Honda Civic 2017 - CVT GEARBOX OIL CHANGE - madf

Hi,

The allnew Honda Civic is designed witha CVT auto gearbox oil service at 25,000 mile intervals. What do backroomers think ...is this OTT. it seems the complete opposit of the filed for life nonsense of other manufacturers....

Thank you

Not OTT>

If you don't change the oil at the required intervals, the gear oil becomes polluted and the box no longer changes smoothly. I have a Jazz CVT and when changing the gearbox oil, only half the oil is changed as the rest remians in teh gerabox - so oil is never totally changed.

I DIY's mine at 25k miles - an easy job. You MUST buy the correct Hoinda specified CVT oil.

Honda Civic 2017 - CVT GEARBOX OIL CHANGE - mph
My Jazz CVT ‘(58 plate 25,000 miles) developed what I described as a judder when pulling away. It was due its annual service and the Honda service manager prescribed a CVT fluid flush. This involved emptying and refilling twice with CVT fluid. Cost £150 soon to increase to £160. Apparently caused by wear on the starter clutch due to leaving in “D” at traffic lights rather than “N”
It would be required at 25,000 regardless of driving style.