What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What to do with a damaged/repairable van - badbusdriver

Having got my caddy van up and running, my thoughts are turning to exactly what i should do with the trusty old, but now damaged, transit connect. So i would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

It is a 2006 lwb 230 tdci with 135k miles. Apart from the recent damage, it is in fair condition for a van of that age, not brilliant, and showing some signs of rust, but i've seen a lot worse.

The damage looks worse than it is. I did price all the necessary (mostly) 2nd hand parts on ebay on the day it happened (my sliding off the road in the ice) and the total came to £220. The parts needed are a front bumper, n/s headlamp, n/s front wing, inner wing liner, wheel arch trim and lower support beam for the radiator. All of these, including the wing, are bolted or screwed on, so not really that much work. The only actual work needed is where the front wing is attatched, the supprting member is bent in out of shape but i think with one of those sliding hammer things, that could be sorted out fairly easily. There would be some paintwork needed as there are some nasty scratches down the side from a large (angry) bush.

My initial thoughts had been to replace the parts, get the paintwork done as cheap as i could, have it mot'd (due in the middle of this month) and then sell it. But with the time of year and the associated weather, the fact that i have no access to anywhere i could work on it indoors, and the fact that it is on my Mother in law's drive, has made me think i should try and get rid of it ASAP.

So the questions are, is it worth anything as it is?, would a breakers yard give me anything for it?, where would be the best place to advertise it? (bearing in mind i live in North East Scotland, i had wondered if gumtree might be better than ebay).

Any other advice or options or suggestions gratefully recieved!

Thanks