What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1998 1.8LX - middle rear seat belt - ajsdoc
I have a 98 mondeo 1.8LX. My MOT is now due and I've just found my rear middle seat belt will not pull out. Looking at the Haynes manual it says the reel is actually within the seat and recommends leaving replacement to a main dealer.

Anyone any experience with this? Any tips on how to free a stuck seatbelt without access to the reel?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

{making use of the drop down menus that weren't around when this questions was composed}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/02/2008 at 19:01

Mondeo middle rear seat belt - Bilgewater
This is a common problem on new shape Mondeos. I took mine to a Ford dealer and all he did was release the seat back and push it back really hard. I was being much to gentle. Apparently if the catch is not fully engaged it will not release the seat belt reel.
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - ajsdoc
Thanks Bilgewater. I did exactly as you said and everything OK. It seems the catch on the seatback is stiff and as you say unless pushed fully home the belt will not release.

Hopefully will now sail the MOT!
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - ivo
Your advice worked a treat.

Thanks very much
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - Roker
Great advice - I thought I was going to have to buy a new rear seatback! Anyway what you advised worked a treat. Many thanks.
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - Kayaker_13
Thanks alot i was about to go to a garage.
Saved me alot of time and money cheers.

Nick
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - cfsheff
Thank you so much! I have just followed your advice and you have saved me alot of messing around. It works a treat, thanks again!
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - Tezzer839
I have a Mondeo st24 V reg. I took it for an MOT. It failed on the rear seat belt not releasing. The man doing the MOT tried to release it but failed. I did as you said. It worked a treat. Thank you, it saved me a great deal of hassle.
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - Outathablu

Many thanks for this advice. My 2003 wagon has a luggage cage between seat and luggage cover bar. Removed the bar which released the pressure on the cage and the seat belt worked! My mechanic laughed has head off. He had been about to order me a new seatbelt mechanism. Saved me hundreds of dollars. David N.Z.

Mondeo middle rear seat belt - Hackney cabbage
I have just stripped down the rear seat to see why middle belt wont work.There be a cable from seat lock to belt reel. God knows why?..... this is basically my problem and no doubt yours. We will next attempt cure with duck oil and WD40.
If no joy it will be fit a static one off anything ex scrappy
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - jc
Legal requirement;if the seat could come forward with the belt fastened,it would be useless!!
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - ivo
Worked a treat, thanks for the advice. I thought I was going to have to pay a hefty garage bill
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - sakean99
Hi folks,
Newbie with similar problem - unfortunately my rear seat is trapped in the folded down position by the centre seat belt. I have tried operating the seat catch and it makes no difference. As far as I can tell the seat belt has locked in due to the fact that the roller is horizontal rather than vertical. Is there any way to release the belt in the folded position?
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - Faha
I agree with diagnosis. I am currently trying to free mine and will let you know result.
Future avoidance may be to fix clip at strategic point to prevent excessive roll-up.
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - Faha
Done! With a friend!
. Pull up seat-back as far as poss. and hold belt to prevent further reel-back
. Hinge up bench seat
. Torx Screwdriver is needed to undo anchorage and release seat-back
. Reel should now be free
. Use clip or other to prevent future excessive reel-back
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - SteveBoy
Ok I have just fixed mine and have a solution. First you need the star ratchet I think it is called torrac piece. You can get it from halfords for about £6. Then take off the rear of the seat. There are four Screws holding it in place but you only need to remove the top two. Fold back the cover until you have exposed the back of the seat belt mechanism. Using your star piece remove the star bolt and push the mechanism in to the seat. Do not woory it is easy to put back again. Then pull the seat back up as far as you can. Holding the back of the seat in this position push your hands into the back of the seat cushon and pull the seat cushon forward. It is hinged so you will be able to do this. You will now expose the anchor for the other end of the jammed seat belt. Using the same Star ratched you used earlier, undoo the fixing completely. This will free the seatbelt. Now fold the back of the seat down again and re-attach the seat belt mechanism. You may need a screwdriver to help you lever it in to position. Re-fix the star bolt and make sure it is tight then put the cover back on. The back of the seat can now be pushed back in to position. The belt should now be lose so you can re fix the anchor point to the bottom of the car. Fold the bottom of the seat back in to position. The seat belt should now move easily.

To stop this happening again make sure the seat belt is always plugged in when not in use. This will ensure that if it gets stuck again you will always be able to create the slack in order to release the seat belt.

Hope that helps - should only take 15 mins start to finish.

Edited by SteveBoy on 22/07/2009 at 12:59

Mondeo middle rear seat belt - ando
Thanks.

One try and it worked.

My middle rear seat belt has been locked for quite some time and I just left it, when all I had to do was fold the seat down and push it back up quite hard! Brilliant!

Mine is a 2003 1.8 Mondeo Ghia so Ford obviously haven't fixed the problem yet!
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - plod1365
Excellent - my mondeo tdci 2002 was due for mot soon and I have been concerned for ages that middle seat belt was stuck. so I googled "reat seat belt mondeo" which led me to this page. I have just slammed the seat back hard and hey presto - it works and running smooth and silk again. Many thanks to all.
Mondeo middle rear seat belt - jc2
What problem?;read the handbook.
1998 1.8LX - middle rear seat belt - ashley1930
My car is a 2002 hatchback but the problem is the same. The catch retaining the seat back must be fully closed, ie, no part of the red marker visible. I had to use WD40 on the catch mechanism which resulted in the press bar coming up flush with it's surround. The belt was then freed. Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.
1998 1.8LX - middle rear seat belt - Boli_ST24

Ah amazing :D worked first time on both our mondeo's (1998 ST24 + 2000 Zetec-S) Many thanks!!!

1998 1.8LX - middle rear seat belt - giveitatrygirl

woohoo we now have a middle seat belt that works. MOT on Wednesday. Checked everything I can think off. Keeping fingers crossed, but hopefully will pass.