What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford focus tdci powershift - Buying a 2017 2.0 tdci 150 powershift - Veccy

Hello all, I was hoping you could help me out. I have seen a nice ford focus

st line estate diesel with powershift transmission. Its a 2.0 150 PS. I drove it and it was one of the nicest cars I have drove in awhile. Is the power shift the 6dct450 wet clutch. I don't want any big bills are they reliable

. Thanks in advance

Ford focus tdci powershift - Buying a 2017 2.0 tdci 150 powershift - SLO76
These are notorious for gearbox problems, so bad that Ford were forced to increase the warranty on the transmission itself to 5yrs and they have now accepted defeat and are doing away with automated manual boxes like this. They're over complex and prone to costly failures. I wouldn't touch one.

Do you absolutely need an auto? and do you do enough mileage to warrant a DPF equipped diesel?

Edited by SLO76 on 13/11/2017 at 23:32

SLO76 thanks. I just really liked the auto when I drove it always wanted an auto diesel.

I do about 25k miles a year so deffo need a diesel. I thought the auto in the petrol were the ones to avoid.

I believe the 1.0 and 1.5 Ecoboost petrols use a new lightweight torque converter gearbox from mid 2016 but I'd avoid the 1.0 which has a poor reputation for longevity. The 1.5 Ecoboost is based on the old Yamaha designed 1.6 which is both quick and robust. It'll do 40mpg apparently easily enough too and is the only viable option if you must have an auto Focus. Both the diesels still use Powershift and a quick online search will show how much of a potential problem these are with class actions against Ford in the US and Australia because of the high failure rate.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171031080...8

If you're doing such a high mileage I'd agree that diesel is the best bet but you would be better served by avoiding anything with one of these complex automated manual gearboxes, that includes VAG's DSG box. I'd personally be opting for a manual, possibly a late previous shape Honda Civic 1.6 DTEC which is able to exceed 70mpg on longer runs if driven reasonably. It'll also still be sellable with the high mileage you'll be putting on it.

The Focus 1.5 diesel is based on the now notorious older 1.6 PSA motor and its unknown as yet whether they've finally cured its reliability issues but the 2.0 is robust if maintained properly so a manual version of this should be on the shopping list but it'll not be as economical or hold its money as well as the Honda.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/11/2017 at 07:03

I prefer the look of the focus always liked the fords.

Pity about the auto, I've some soul searching to do. Thanks for the advice and knowledge much appreciated.

Ford focus tdci powershift - Buying a 2017 2.0 tdci 150 powershift - pd

How long do you plan to keep it? At 25k a year it won''t last forever.

If you're going to run it for 3 years all or mostly under warranty to about 75k then most of the time it will be under warranty mitigating issues. Only really the last 15k should you be worried about.

If you're planning 6 years and 150k then I would definately buy something else.

Ford focus tdci powershift - Buying a 2017 2.0 tdci 150 powershift - argybargy

As SLO says, Ford have increased the warranty in this country to 5 years, and in the US and Oz to seven.

According to a piece by a US motoring journalist that I found recently, in America the mixed reception for the Powershift wasn't solely about the occasional incidences of reliability; it was about the fact that Americans who were used to standard automatics found it hard to adapt to a box that was designed to align its changes to driving style, a design which occasionally led to unexpected gear changes.

There was some talk that Ford have got the Powershift right and that if you buy a later model, from '16 onwards, you're on a fairly safe bet. Depends on whether you're willing to take the chance of being without the car for a week or so if the notorious problems do surface. Sadly, I have heard about one case involving a later model, early 2017, which has suffered the classic Powershift problems

In between those problems my Powershift is a joy to drive: but it is a judgement call and my experience would lead me to support the view that you should look elsewhere.

Ford focus tdci powershift - Buying a 2017 2.0 tdci 150 powershift - sandy56

I generally a fan of the bigger Fords and like the new Focus. The Powershift can be problematic and is expenisve to maintain with regular g/b fluid changes.

Check out the review on this site.

thanks all, after looking more on the internet, here in Ireland the most popular

is the 1.5 tdci very few 2.0 tdci other than the st version which is out of my price range.

The 1.5 tdci is a bit too gutless for me. I intent to hold onto if for 2-3 years max.

I always assumed that that type of box would be good for 200k with good servicing.

Ford focus tdci powershift - Buying a 2017 2.0 tdci 150 powershift - Engineer Andy

thanks all, after looking more on the internet, here in Ireland the most popular

is the 1.5 tdci very few 2.0 tdci other than the st version which is out of my price range.

The 1.5 tdci is a bit too gutless for me. I intent to hold onto if for 2-3 years max.

I always assumed that that type of box would be good for 200k with good servicing.

I'd be very wary of the 1.5 diesel (I think those earlier referrring to the '1.5' were referring to the turbocharged petrol engine) as it apparently is a variant of the infamous 1.6 'diesel of doom' which had many reliability woes (aside from any DPF issues) across many makes of car that used them (Ford, Volvo, PSA, Mazda) and still do use the newer variant.

You may find it difficult to find a decent driving and reliable mid-sized car with a diesel auto, as the more reliable ones normally aren't what you'd call 'drivers cars' or visuallay appealling (the Civic) and most of the others suffer from reliability issues or poor customer service (relatively speaking). This is especially true given how many makes have been using twin clutch gearboxes to overcome the significant power/torque loss when using a 'conventional' torque converter auto box.

A former colleague was in a similar position to you (he had a 2.0TDCi [manual] Mondeo company car that was on its last legs, but wanted an auto to make the driving experience easier [he does 40k+ miles a year]) - he didn't like the Passat estate (and he'd have to get an older one as they were [at the time, before the recent price drops] much more expensive and might've been affected by the dieselgate issues as well as having a DSG gearbox), and so settled on a manual 1.6TD Hyundai i30 (previous model) estate hand-me-down from another colleague (only owned for a short time, he got a colleague's car who was leaving) which gave a decent drive (perhaps because it was smaller and newer than his battered Mondeo) if not spectacular.

One report on the 'Good and Bad' section of the i30 (2012-17) review of (manual) gearbox failure. It (and I'm sure, the new one, when it arrives in estate form) will come with a DCT for an auto box - they seem to have less reliabilty issues than the likes of the DSG and Powershift, though I suspect it helps that because far less are sold in the UK. At least if its serviced correctly and on time the 5yr unlimited (Hyundai) / 7yr 100k mile (KIA) warranty should cover those problems (check with them, especially if you get a second-hand one as it may have missed a service by more than the qualifying time/mileage).

25k miles a year is right on the bubble for the changeover from petrol to diesel (between 20-25k miles a year) to make it economically viable (not accounting for any requirement for towing or carrying other heavy loads regularly), so you may find one of the better (as long as its proven) mid-sized turbo-petrols (1.5T Ford or 1.4TSi/1.5TSi VAG [not the twin charger or any chain cam older ones] as examples) if you can stand running a manual, which, of course, would be more fuel efficient than an auto, and not that much different in mpg to that of a torque-converter diesel auto, perhaps better in the wallet once the difference in fuel cost and potential DPF issues in the future were taken into account. The VAG engine especially is, unless ragged, very fuel efficient and many regulars here often speak of getting an average of nearer the 50mpg mark.

Best of luck.

Thanks Andy,

Its a tough one, over hear (ireland) petrol cost 15 cent a litre more than diesel so thats what kind of turned me off the petrol. I will have to keep searching.

My brother has an i30 and I just cant get comfortable in it. I see your point and appreaciate the advice

Hi all,
I know the thread is old but just wanted to give an up date.
I ended up buying the focus and now have put 38k miles up.
The gearbox so far is brillant, I serviced the gearbox at 30k cost 340 euros so not cheap. Fuel consumption is about 46mpg which is not great. Overall happy enough, very comfortable nice to drive, can't complain really other than a few more mpg would be nice and cheaper gearbox service.
That’s excellent but carry on as you are and maintain it properly at the main dealer which is the only place with any clue how these highly complex gearboxes work or how to look after them.

While you’ve not had any trouble don’t get overly confident as failure rates with Powershift gearboxes are so high that Ford is discontinuing them to return to a more conventional torque converter box. They’ve been inundated with warranty claims and most used dealers I know won’t bid on them at auction and will heavily undervalue trade-ins.

It’s true though that despite a particular model having a high failure rate most owners still never see a problem. It’s just that the likelihood of it happening is much higher than with most alternatives.

Best of luck though and I hope it remains reliable for you. It’s certainly a nice car to drive.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/08/2019 at 23:29

Thanks SLO76, touch wood it will be OK.

Im going to keep it going until warranty is up and decide then. Its a pity because as you said it's very nice to drive

Ford focus tdci powershift - Buying a 2017 2.0 tdci 150 powershift - argybargy

I'd strongly advise changing the car a litle while before the warranty is up, but its your call.

I ditched my B Max with Powershift before the warranty was due to run out, and it was a big relief when I did so because every vibration of the chassis, however minor, felt like a recurrence of the clutch problems. During my ownership a local Ford dealer had replaced one faulty clutch free of charge, but it was clear whilst doing the rounds that independent dealers were becoming increasingly skittish about taking Powershift cars in part ex, due to Ford in general taking a harder line on honouring the gearbox warranty and leaving the indies to pick up the bill if customers' cars went wrong.

Consequently I was concerned that I might not be able to sell mine, and ended up offloading it a few months earlier than I intended, to a Ford dealer who part exed it without quibble (though there was some ugly shilly-shallying over the car's value).

Edited by argybargy on 10/08/2019 at 00:56

Hi argybargy

I think I will trade it in before the warranty is up

As you did. I will miss it.