What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo diesel TDCi auto power loss - hamish
The correspondence on starting problems on Mondeo and Focus brought a comment on diesel knock at 2,000 rpm. That problem hit my Mondeo at 700 miles and the dealer has run a diagnostic check and found the earth error (corrected). They also loaded the latest Mondeo software module. No improvement. Dealer is getting the car again this Wednesday. The real problem is the loss of power. The engine ghanges up gear at 2,000 approx. and then sometimes fails to find the power for the higher gear. The result is that the revs fall to about 1,200 and stays in the higher gear. Driving in traffic is dreadful, knock, knock, knock at any steady 30, 40, 50 or 60mph on light to moderate throttle at 2,000 rpm. The dealer says that Ford cannot accept the call for help because this problem does not exist and all help from Ford has to be logged on a fault code. This fault has no code! Car is now 1,000 miles old. Help please.
Mondeo diesel TDCi auto power loss - kylobeddo
Hello.
I have just read your comments regarding a diesel knock on your mondeo. I have the same engine in my transit and although mine is a manual it is also low on power with a pinking noise at low revs.It has been to the dealer twice in the past month and its no better. Did you manage to get yours fixed and if so, could you please tell me what the problem was as my dealer hasn't a clue.
Thanks
Kylobeddo
Mondeo diesel TDCi auto power loss - hamish
Hello,
A long time for a reply! Do not blame your dealer. Ford do not have a problem with an engine that loses power and knocks at 1,600-2,200 rpm. For a diesel, that is supposed to be where the maximum torqe is. Your garage can do no more than run the Ford diagnostic software and the computer will respond with a no fault reply. Hence, no problem. What a sack of rubbish. Of course the bonehead software progammers are going to have massive intolerances on the inputs from the sensors. If you are lucky, then the final sum of the inputs will give an acceptable result. If not, then you will have an engine like yours. Tough. Mine is the same; but not as bad as some others I have tried. The good news from your reply is that my problem is not in the software controlling the automatic. That was the most likely fault. The car will just not change down gear to keep the revs and road speed up. At least you can change gear! Also, how many people have told you that you must be doing something wrong and to put your foot down and drive it properly? Eventually you will stop talking about it, keep your ideas to yourself or you will reduce it selling price, sell it eventually at the best time for you and do not buy a Ford again. That is what I am going to do. Ford have been told this. I have had no reply to my complaints, including a letter to the Chief Executive. Ford do not care. Take heart though, the engine is great on the open road and pulls a caravan brilliantly. Ford now own Volvo
Mondeo diesel TDCi auto power loss - cheddar
Ford do not have a problem with an engine that loses
power and knocks at 1,600-2,200 rpm.

Not true, they have produced regular sofware updates.
Your garage can do no more than run the Ford diagnostic software and the computer will respond with a no fault reply

>>

Not true they can request input from Ford technical. Try another garage.
I have had no reply to my complaints, including a letter to the Chief Executive. Ford do not care.

>>

I wrote to Ford customer services (based Glasgow) concerning a relatively minor issue, they were very attentive, liased with the dealer and Ford's tech dept then, once all was sorted they sent me a letter offering a free service, saved me £200 on a major service.

Regards.