What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - NIP for Speeding - sent to unupdated address - GoldenKaos

Got an NIP for speeding, but sent to my parent's address, since I hadn't updated it on the V5C yet. My address is updated on the license and insurance, but I clean forgot about the V5C - which is obviously the address that was given when they ran the plate.

The question is this: which box do I tick for the question 'Are your above details correct?'
Do I tick Yes since the details on the NIP are the same as the details on the V5C, or do I tick no because the address on the NIP is not where I currently live?

It's a little concerning because I don't want to get a fine for giving incorrect details on sending the NIB back, but neither do I want to get a fine for not updating my V5C (which is something I didn't realise that also needed to be done).

Thoughts? Really want to play it right here.

Ford Fiesta - NIP for Speeding - sent to unupdated address - Palcouk

www.gov.uk/change-name-address-v5c

The details are incorrect, because you failed to update with the new details

So you're saying I should risk the up to £1000 fine and say that the details are incorrect?

Rather than confirm that the details are correct, since I can be contacted at the older address and said address matches the V5c address.

Ford Fiesta - NIP for Speeding - sent to unupdated address - RobJP

So you're saying I should risk the up to £1000 fine and say that the details are incorrect?

Rather than confirm that the details are correct, since I can be contacted at the older address and said address matches the V5c address.

If - and it'd be a big 'if' - it went to court, you'd simply show that you'd updated your licence and various other details, and apologise for forgetting about the V5, etc, etc. You'd not get fined £1000, or even close to it.

Lying on the form, on the other hand ... well, that's your call ...

An alternative might even be to say 'see attached note', and to explain the omission on a note, apologising for your failure and that you've now sent the V5 off for amending.

People make mistakes, forget to do things - it happens to all of us, and the courts (and police) are generally pretty forgiving of minor paperwork errors.

Ford Fiesta - NIP for Speeding - sent to unupdated address - Dwight Van Driver

Is it not possible to have a home adress for which correspondence etc is sent whilst living elswhere on an unpermanent basis thereby no need to have frequest change of address to be notified?

dvd

Just had word from a former chief inspector of the police force in question (friend of a friend) - he says this happens all the time, and the best thing to do is to answer that this is the right address, and then update your details after.

His logic seems to be that all they're trying to confirm is whether this is the right person and whether they can be contacted at this address, and if you can show that you've taken steps to update details by amending other documents (license and insurance in my case) then you can show that the error was merely an oversight.

Basically, as long as I can show I did reasonable steps to update things, and there's no obvious intention to deceive, then just confirming that the old address is correct and taking steps to update it ASAP after dealing with the NIP seems to be fine in his book.

Ford Fiesta - NIP for Speeding - sent to unupdated address - Middleman

I always warn against accepting legal advice from a serving police officer. But in this case your Chief Inspector friend is correct.

Keep it simple, just return the request for driver's details (which I assume is what you are being asked to do) saying the details are correct. It is vanishingly unlikely that any enquiries into your assertion will be made. There's simply no need. Just make sure you have access to the post at that address so you can deal with the rest of the process.

After it's all been dealt with simply update your V5C.

Ford Fiesta - NIP for Speeding - sent to unupdated address - RT

I'm not in a position to offer legal advice - but isn't there provision for the V5C to be registered at an address different to where the car is kept - provided it gives a bone-fide route back to the user? Many company cars are registered to the company secretary, not the driver.

Ford Fiesta - NIP for Speeding - sent to unupdated address - concrete

It seems to me that some common sense needs to be applied to this situation.

The OP is clearly not trying to duck out of the offence, which is laudible. However does not want to risk an extra penalty for a further offence. Without being caught for speeding who knows how long it would have been before it became clear the V5 was incorrect? I think the advice offered by the police officer is sound. Go along with the NIP and after the penalty is paid, change your details on the V5. I know it is encumbent on everyone to keep their details correct for officialdom, but a simple instance of forgetfulness should not be too harshly dealt with. There but for the grace of etc etc . Cheers Concrete