What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Shed find - Ford Popular - oldroverboy.

A friend has just got himself a sit up and beg ford pop in very poor condition. Will point him in the direction of the club and keep very quiet...

Shed find - Ford Popular - focussed

Tell him to put it back in the shed and forget about it - they are horrible.

I had one as a first car solely because I had very limited income as an apprentice - couldn't get rid of it fast enough, it went to the scrappy after it threw a rod and spewed the contents of the sump all over rthe road.

Shed find - Ford Popular - bathtub tom

Repeat after me:

Old cars are money pits.

Old cars are money pits.

Old cars are money pits.

I thought that on retirement I'd buy an old bike or car, but deciding I don't bounce as well as I used to I ruled out the first option. I soon realised the mantra above, so instead opted to volunteer for a working museum.

Today I was working on a Railton, a '30s Hilman Minx and watched a 1912/13 yank jobby start up for the first time since gawd knows when.

Shed find - Ford Popular - Avant

Of all the pre-war designs that shouldn't have been allowed to survive until the late 1950s, it's the Ford 8 / Anglia / Popular, with its ugly, upright, swaying body, its six-volt electrics and its hopeless carburation.

I don't know what went wrong with car body design in the late 30s: the Ford 10 of 1935-36 - the one that looked like a much smaller V8/Pilot - was quite attractive in an art-deco sort of way, bu gave way to the plainer 8 and 10 which became the Anglia and Prefect. Then there was the streamlined mid-thirties Morris 10 (and similar Wolseley) succeeded by the dumpy M-type Morris 10.

But you're all too young to remember these: they were the old bangers of my childhood.

Edit: Just seen your post, Bathtub Tom. What a lovely job - using your skills but someone else's money.

Edited by Avant on 26/07/2017 at 00:43

Shed find - Ford Popular - Vitesse6

Not to mention the three speed gearbox and the vacuum operated windscreen wipers which barely operated when you were travelling at anything more than snails pace.

Shed find - Ford Popular - madf

My brother had a Prefect as a student.

Worst car ever...You can spend £1000s on a bad one and be left with a HORRIBLE to drive perfectly restored piece of junk.

Shed find - Ford Popular - Andrew-T

Not to mention .... vacuum operated windscreen wipers which barely operated when you were travelling at anything more than snail's pace.

A sad American device which was still to be seen in north America in the 1960s. I suppose bigger engines may have had more vacuum to spare if they ran with a less-open throttle than a small British car, but it just proves the American heritage of the Ford marque.

Shed find - Ford Popular - galileo

Of all the pre-war designs that shouldn't have been allowed to survive until the late 1950s, it's the Ford 8 / Anglia / Popular, with its ugly, upright, swaying body, its six-volt electrics and its hopeless carburation.

I don't know what went wrong with car body design in the late 30s: the Ford 10 of 1935-36 - the one that looked like a much smaller V8/Pilot - was quite attractive in an art-deco sort of way, bu gave way to the plainer 8 and 10 which became the Anglia and Prefect. Then there was the streamlined mid-thirties Morris 10 (and similar Wolseley) succeeded by the dumpy M-type Morris 10.

But you're all too young to remember these: they were the old bangers of my childhood.

Edit: Just seen your post, Bathtub Tom. What a lovely job - using your skills but someone else's money.

Avant, I don't remember the streamlined Morris 10 s you mention, I do remember the series E Morris 8. This replaced the prewar 8 that closely copied the body shape of the Ford of that period, an uncle of mine had one in the 1950s.

Shed find - Ford Popular - John F

Of all the pre-war designs that shouldn't have been allowed to survive until the late 1950s, it's the Ford 8 / Anglia / Popular, with its ugly, upright, swaying body, its six-volt electrics and its hopeless carburation.........But you're all too young to remember these: they were the old bangers of my childhood.

Not all - I had one aged 17, cost £5. Rapidly moved on to a relatively luxurious Anglia with memorable 3 speed box (reverse was where you would expect 1st to be), vacuum wipers and rusty brake pipes resulting in an alarming educational episode of brake failure!

We have reached an agreement.. I have a garage nearby that i was going to rent out.. He can store his car and also his T100 bonneville, and as he is a taxi driver we will get our airport and other trips foc...

Shed find - Ford Popular - skidpan

In my youth the E93A was a popular car with Hot Rodders. Stick in a Jag rear end and a big V8 and go out and kill yourself.

Shed find - Ford Popular - RT

In my youth the E93A was a popular car with Hot Rodders. Stick in a Jag rear end and a big V8 and go out and kill yourself.

As I youth, I was fascinated with the Falcon kit cars which were put onto E93A chassis - which was just a U-section pressing - an important upgrade was to full box the sections in to strengthen the flimsy chassis.

Shed find - Ford Popular - RaineMan

My first car was am elderly late model 100E Popular. Despite still having the three speed box and vacuum wipers it was far superior to the E93A my late mother once owned. The 107E with the Anglia 105E mechanics was a quite a pleasant car. Why Ford continued with the E93A is beyond me!

Shed find - Ford Popular - RT

My first car was am elderly late model 100E Popular. Despite still having the three speed box and vacuum wipers it was far superior to the E93A my late mother once owned. The 107E with the Anglia 105E mechanics was a quite a pleasant car. Why Ford continued with the E93A is beyond me!

To claim the title of the cheapest car in the world.

My wife has just reminded me that she called the horrible thing "The Black Pig" yes we are still together despite that dreadful car!

Shed find - Ford Popular - badbusdriver

My Dad, in his youth, did stock car racing in and around Aberdeen using E93A's. Him and his father were like the entertainment, the clowns, with their brightly painted, but slow, pop's.

My Grandfather died during a race, when his car ended up on it's side across the track and another car hit the roof. I would have liked to get to know him, as, by all accounts, he was quite a character, and had a lot of stories to tell.

Shed find - Ford Popular - johncyprus
Low value rusty old cars can take the same number of man hours to restore as valuable rusty old cars but they still remain low value so not a good idea to invest money in this car. Some people simply restore old cars for the love of it, if that's the case then good luck to him.
We look at these old cars with rose tinted spectacles on and forget how b***** awful they were. Forty years ago I had a Austin Healey Sprite which I loved and two years ago I bought an immaculate 1960 AH Frogeye Sprite however I found it uncomfortable and very unsuitable for driving in modern traffic with the aggressive and inconsiderate driving that prevails today. Had a drive in an Austin Healey 3000 with the the roof down when I was in the AH Club, I felt like a film star with people gawping but couldn't wait to get out of the damn thing back into my 2001 Mercedes CLK which costs buttons to run unlike these old cars.

Shed find - Ford Popular - badbusdriver

In the late 90's driving down the M6 from the hotel I worked at in the lake district to my relatives in Wigan, I was comprehensively blow away by an old Riley RMB. I was in a nova 1.0 saloon (!) doing about 65mph, I reckon the Riley was doing at least 80. Not bad for an old gal!.

Low value rusty old cars can take the same number of man hours to restore as valuable rusty old cars but they still remain low value so not a good idea to invest money in this car.

It has a small dent in a front wing and a bit scruffy, but (according to him) it drives ok, but only 20 ish to the gallon. Not intending to restore it! just enjoys driving in it and the attention it gets.
Shed find - Ford Popular - davecooper

My grandad had one. Used to take him most of the day to get from Worthing to Sutton in Surrey. That was with a long stop for lunch and my Nan would be wrapped up like an eskimo in the winter. Happy memories though. This is why I am glad that people want to restore old cars, regardless of cost and regardless of how good or bad they may have been in their day. They are part of our motoring heritage and examples of all cars from all eras deserve to be preserved.

Memories are made of this:-

A pair of cross-ply rear tyres from a scrapyard - a quid each on the wheels.

A rear axle - needed because one of the half- shafts sheared the key in the brake drum and mangled the keyway in the shaft. And then a quick rear-axle rebuild using half an axle from one scrapper, and the other half from another.

And it ran quiet and cool!

Cornering - easily possible to lift a rear inside wheel - and the wooden floor would lift complete with the passenger seat!

A performance manifold welded up from a 90 degree pipe bend with a Triumph Thunderbird SU carburettor mounted on it which probably contributed to the connecting rod disconnection previously mentioned.

Happy days? Not really - it was what you did when you were only earning £4 - 10 shillings a week!.

Shed find - Ford Popular - John F
We look at these old cars with rose tinted spectacles on and forget how b***** awful they were. ........Had a drive in an Austin Healey 3000 with the the roof down when I was in the AH Club, I felt like a film star with people gawping but couldn't wait to get out of the damn thing back into my 2001 Mercedes CLK which costs buttons to run unlike these old cars.

Absolutely. I love old cars too. But a few years ago a friend kindly invited me to go to Le Mans in his ancient Aston Martin for a 50yr anniversary celebration of a 'win'. A most enjoyable one-off trip, but it would have been more comfortable, almost as fast and far less noisy in our old Ford Focus!

Sold recently on Ebay for £2800 ish

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 16/11/2019 at 08:49

Shed find - Ford Popular - nick62

I vividly remember a neighbour who had a black Ford Pop back in the late 60's / early 70's.

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/6228205/B...l

As a kid, I used to think it was like something out of the Wacky Races.

Those rusty brake pipes were brake cables John........... The E93 A never had hydraulic brakes, it never had very effective brakes even with the cables.............!

Shed find - Ford Popular - Surreydriver

A T100 is not a Bonneville. Our first Prefect, my Mothers first car had to have the passenger door held shut for the whole journey and the gear lever held in second on roundabouts so that she could concentrate on steering. There were bungee cords for solo driving for the door. Also a set of battery cables was mandated. Lost count of the number of requests for help. People were always ready to help. Still suffer with PTSD from that car. I wouldnt touch one with someone elses barge pole.....