What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Which Honda Civic? - Aston

I am helping my son (aged 27) buy his first car as he now needs a car for his new job. He has been a regular named driver on my policy. We have decided a Honda Civic fits his requirements, budget £10000. Considering the following two examples, which do you think makes more sense, the newer vehicle with remaining manufacturer warranty seems a good buy at this price from a car supermarket, but it is a basic spec with a 1.4 engine. The same money would buy the following Honda approved vehicle older but with the 1.8 engine. There does not seem to be a lot of difference in the insurance for my son or mpg, he has test driven a 1.4 and thats seems to be ok but the 1.8 seems to be considered to be much better bet. Many thanks for any opinions.

www.croylandcarmegastore.co.uk/used-cars/7522681-h.../

www.jthughes.co.uk/Used+Cars/View/HONDA-CIVIC-I-VT...0

Honda Civic - Which Honda Civic? - Stumblebum

I've never driven a 1.4 but am pleased with my 1.8. I've got a '57 reg 1.8 which has been fine. I get 45mpg consistently on the motorway.

Does the 1.4 have a 5 speed or 6 speed gearbox. My 1.8 is six speed which makes a big difference for economy and refinement (compared to my 2 previous petrol Honda's). I usually cruise at no more than 3000 RPM - something that may not be possible with the 1.4.

Personally I would not let the age put me off, especially if it comes Honda Approved. I'd be me more nervous about driving in a car which is a bit underpowered, as it makes slip roads etc harder work.

Honda Civic - Which Honda Civic? - SLO76
The 1.4 is fine for local running but struggles at higher speeds and for B road overtaking. The 1.8 is an excellent engine with little if any penalty on fuel economy so I'd personally favour the larger engine. Bargain hard though as this example is a bit overpriced and the introduction of the new model has put downward pressure on prices of the last gen cars. Watch out on non-franchised stock like the 1.4 as if it doesn't have a full Honda service record the remainder of the warranty is invalid.
Honda Civic - Which Honda Civic? - iFocus

I'd go for the 1.8; it's a great engine with enough power with brilliant economy.

It's a well proven engine too and very reliable.

The 1.4 comes in 2 varients too; the 1.4 DSI which is rather underpowered and expensive to service and the 1.4 i-VTEC which is higher in power but with that you might aswell get the 1.8.

Honda Civic - Which Honda Civic? - catsdad
Another vote for the 1.8 from me. Mine is a 2012 with 50000 miles and drives like new. As others have commented the particular one listed is a tad dear. I note its got two "previous" owners which usually means three owners (current plus two "previous").

Just a few other points if you are looking at Civics generally. My main agent deal included free Mots for life if they got the service business, free breakdown cover ( so far honoured for 4 years, maybe iin error as Honda site seems to suggest its limited to three years) and four years full servicing for £580. If you can get a deal like that it partly offsets the higher main dealer prices.

On servicing, if you are fussy about annual oil changes note that many Honda cars are set up on variable servicing and that can stretch the interval beyond a year. Bizzarely too the in-car indicator will still call for a non-oil service if non-oil items are due, resulting in possible multiple visits. It can be reset by the dealer so you revert to conventional time and mileage. What is right for you might depend on the use the car gets as Googling shows some cars on variable regime demand oil intervals of less than a year. In my case 10000 mainly long trip miles makes annual servicing the best option. Especially as my service deal above allowed for that.

If buying and looking at the service history I suggest you don't just look at the stamps and dates. Check the service codes entered in the book (or better still invoices or print outs) to ensure that the history is as full as it appears. As above you could find services which have not included an oil change. Some on here will disagree but for me I want the assurance of at least annual changes.
Honda Civic - Which Honda Civic? - Warning

I test drove a Honda Civic and I loved it.

The 2016 model as DAB radio, which for me would be important. However, the 1.8 has ES trim level, I can't see if it has DAB radio or not. The photos are too fuzy.

I have looked at Honda Civic's for sale and finding 2 previous owners, could be a red flag for me.

You need to see the car in the flesh and you will know which one your want....

Honda Civic - Which Honda Civic? - oldroverboy.
The 1.4 is fine for local running but struggles at higher speeds and for B road overtaking. The 1.8 is an excellent engine with little if any penalty on fuel economy so I'd personally favour the larger engine. Bargain hard though as this example is a bit overpriced and the introduction of the new model has put downward pressure on prices of the last gen cars. Watch out on non-franchised stock like the 1.4 as if it doesn't have a full Honda service record the remainder of the warranty is invalid.

"DITTO" slo right as usual,,,