Ford Focus Estate 2008 - 1.6tdci- Alternator - 3uga

Hi!

Yesterday started the car and had no problems untill i took off. Started to hear a noise and got scared that it was the turbo wich was changed less than 2 weeks ago. Instead it was the alternator. I changed that and after I left the service, at about 20 to 30 minutes I see the battery indicator up.
Checked the altenator and it was realy hot and was making the sound again. I restarted the car and the battery light went off untill after 30 seconds.
Alternator is making 14.5-14.6 at idle and right when the battery indicator comes on, lights dim and voltage drops to 13.4-13.6.
The alternator is off used car but my opinion is that it-s working fine and something is taking extremly much amperage and cant seem to find what. Battery doesent die form a day to the next and the problem seems to be manifesting when engine is running.

Anything I should look for?

My car may or may not have some issues with the abs pump (lights on)

Edited by 3uga on 25/11/2016 at 21:09

Ford Focus Estate 2008 - 1.6tdci- Alternator - Peter.N.

Are you sure the belts not slipping?

Ford Focus Estate 2008 - 1.6tdci- Alternator - Cyd

Battery doesent die form a day to the next and the problem seems to be manifesting when engine is running.

That sounds like an assumption to me. Have you tested the battery?

Follow my method here: youtu.be/AT_XmlwMVz4

BTW: you should expect an alternator to get warm when in use.

Have you thought about pulling fuses and measuring the current draw across the terminals?

Ford Focus Estate 2008 - 1.6tdci- Alternator - hardway

Alternator and charging on these is controlled by the ECU so I'd start by checking the charging with a scan tool.

Ford Focus Estate 2008 - 1.6tdci- Alternator - Railroad.

It's also highly recommended that calcium batteries are used in cars with smart charging systems such as yours. Problems can occur if you don't.

I.ve changed the battery last year in spetember. It was the first time the battery needed changing and the one that died was an original ford with date of install 2008, same year when the car was manufactured. I didn.t use a calcium battery, didn.t know one was needed, but didn?t have any problems untill now

I.ve checked charging voltage with an elm327. Same voltage shown by obd tester is showd in test menu o car dash

Changed the battery and same thing hapens

Ford Focus Estate 2008 - 1.6tdci- Alternator - hardway

As stated the ECU controls if and when and how much the alternator outputs,

Called smart charge.

You may have to go to Ford.

Ford Focus Estate 2008 - 1.6tdci- Alternator - elekie&a/c doctor

A good alternator on a Ford smart charge system will charge in default mode even if the "smart" bit is not working.I would take a look at the 3 pin plug clipped into the back of the alternator to make sure there is a good power supply at the red/pink wire.This is the battery sense wire.A fault here will cause the system to not operate correctly and often bring on the charge warning light on the dash after around 30 secs.

Although it probably doesn't apply to your car because it may be to old, it's worth making the point that most modern cars now have a Battery Energy Management system (BEM). A control unit regulates the way the battery charges and the loads placed upon it so that the energy comsumption is optimised. For the system to work correctly a replacement manufacturer recommended OEM battery must be used, and the make, type and serial number which make up a BEM code which will be printed on a sticker on the battery, and which must be entered into the controller using the appropriate diagnostic equipment. Failure to do so will present problems with the vehicle electrical systems. This also means that a previously simple job of replacing a car battery is no longer an easy DIY job.

Ford Focus Estate 2008 - 1.6tdci- Alternator - gordonbennet

This also means that a previously simple job of replacing a car battery is no longer an easy DIY job.

Jolly convenient what, a wheeze to be proud of that one.

Reason number 2763 and rising to avoid the most modern of cars, unless and it seems to be working its all to encourage people into PCP and other ways of longer term renting.

Reason number 2763 and rising to avoid the most modern of cars, unless and it seems to be working its all to encourage people into PCP and other ways of longer term renting.

Personally I think that's the way to go. You have to be mad to own a modern car these days. I say have one on lease hire and change it every three years. You have fixed costs, and if it goes wrong it's not your problem.

The trouble is the public in the main are very slow to cotton on to changes in vehicle technology, and in truth so is the independent motor repair trade.

Ford Focus Estate 2008 - 1.6tdci- Alternator - RT

Although it probably doesn't apply to your car because it may be to old, it's worth making the point that most modern cars now have a Battery Energy Management system (BEM). A control unit regulates the way the battery charges and the loads placed upon it so that the energy comsumption is optimised. For the system to work correctly a replacement manufacturer recommended OEM battery must be used, and the make, type and serial number which make up a BEM code which will be printed on a sticker on the battery, and which must be entered into the controller using the appropriate diagnostic equipment. Failure to do so will present problems with the vehicle electrical systems. This also means that a previously simple job of replacing a car battery is no longer an easy DIY job.

Ford went to smart charging / battery management early - late '90s in some cases - OP's 2008 Focus certainly has it.

Edited by RT on 28/11/2016 at 12:58

Took my alternator to be refurbished. The alternator was „MELTED”, quoting the tehnician. Only the shell remaind of it.

Put it on the car and seems to be working fine. The service told me that the first alternator that I put in had a faulty charging relay and recomended I put a new one or refurbish mine.

Now that I think about it, a month and a half prior to the alternator going bad, I started having problems with the nav.sistem because the time and date was resetting its self. The problems stoped 1 week before the alternator going bad. I dont know if this is related in any way but when the alt. did go bad, it drained the battery realy quick and had to disconect it just to get the car home. Jump started the car and battery held up pretty good. Dashboard went off 1km before destination; no speed indicator , no lights, no nav, but engine was running fine.