What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Honda rear brake calipers. - James Meynell

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice.

I have a 2012 Honda civic with 25,000 miles on the clock.

The other day I went to my car only to find that it had rolled down my drive and into my garage door. I obviously thought I had forgotton to put the handbrake on, only to find that this was not the case. I took my car to my local Honda dealer to have a diagnosis that the rear brake calipers needed replacing at a cost of £859,00. I immediately refused this and they recontacted Honda and thy agreed to provide the parts free and the garage would fit them for £150.00.

My dilema is, should a car only 4 years old and with only 25,000 miles need new brake calipers and if so should this not be classed as a vehicle defect and done free of charge.

I might add that I bought the car brand new, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

regards James.

Honda Civic - Honda rear brake calipers. - RobJP

Your car warranty was for 3 years. It expired a year ago. You chose to gamble that nothing would fail, and didn't extend your warranty. The gamble did not pay off.

It's most likely that the calipers were hot when the handbrake was applied, and as they cooled they contracted and the handbrake freed off.

Be grateful they've offered 'goodwill'. They didn't have to offer anything.

As for advice : never rely only on a handbrake. Always use the gears as well - like we were all taught when we learnt to drive.

Honda Civic - Honda rear brake calipers. - madf

A 4 year old car with 25,000 miles is underused. Calipers corrode through lack of use...

Otherwise as Rob above.

Honda Civic - Honda rear brake calipers. - gordonbennet

There is a big problem with brake servicing, half the time it isn't being done right, very few makers specify correct brake servicing on major services (usually its major then minor then major etc), Toyota do or at least did do this last time i had a car new enough for main dealer care, i'm not sure if Honda have a similar requirement.

Brakes need to be stripped down fully, pads out drums if fitted off, so the pistons/cylinders can be exercised in and out and everything lubed up correctly, this IMO should be done at the latest every other year and sensibly it would be convenient and cost effective to replace the brake fluid at the same time.

Owners can help themselves by washing the salt of the underside of the vehicle during the season and doing a thorough job of underbody washing when the salt finally disappears around mid April.

If the brakes don't get cared for, never washed, and all they ever see is a blast of brake cleaner squirted in their general direction (seems to be what passes for brake servicing too often) then early seizure is highly likely.

Honda Civic - Honda rear brake calipers. - Falkirk Bairn

>>Brakes need to be stripped down fully, pads out drums if fitted off, so the >>pistons/cylinders can be exercised in and out and everything lubed up >>correctly.

Car is serviced @ main dealer around £200 on my CRV- a squirt of brake cleaners is all the brakes are likely to see.

@ 2 years I had my Indie - wheels off - strip the brakes, blow out the crud, grease where needed, adjust drum handbrake.

@ 4 years Ditto

Roughly £50 on each occasion - takes an hour & get it done when in for an MoT.

Saves sticking pads, extends life of calipers, handbrake drum brakes adjusted manually & not depending on the auto adjust feature - win win - after all sticking pads on 1 side might cost pads, disks, calipers which can be ££HUNDREDS

Edited by Falkirk Bairn on 22/11/2016 at 19:18

Good routine that FB, and as you rightly say that cost effective £50 full brake service not only keeps them healthy, it minimises the possibility of unnoticed reduced efficiency as things slowly seize, plus you cannot and never will be able to fully examine the condition of pads and shoes unless you remove the pads themselves or drums.

Looked after like that, calipers should last the life of the vehicle, and friction parts wear evenly, win win.

Honda Civic - Honda rear brake calipers. - focussed

The handbrake function on the 8th and 9th generation Civic isn't great when it's new, it needs a good strong hoist on the lever to hold it on a hill.

I had my Civic brake calipers in bits after the warranty expired in 2010 and on all four the pads were bound in the caliper brackets by corrosion. The corrosion gets under the stainless steel wear plates and pinches the pads tight in the brackets so they can't move freely.

After a good refurb and new original pads all round the handbrake was better but not what I would call brilliant, having checked,cleaned and freed everything off.

Leaving the car in gear is a good idea, and if parked on a hill, turn the front wheels toward the curb is an additional precaution.

I'm not a fan of parking brakes built into calipers, nearly all designs have given problems of one sort or another if not cleaned and lubed correctly, not helped by being exposed to constant salt baths all winter), problems go back a long way, how many here recall the Swinging Caliper design as fitted to Ford's outboard (loadsa trouble) and Rover P6's fitted inboard (less corrosion troubles but a PITA to work on).

I much prefer the drum inside disc design, fortunately fitted to all of our current home fleet, though in all honesty most of us don't need rear discs at all * and a good rear drum brake is more than adequate for most normal cars and usually provides a powerful parking brake due in no small way to the shoes being of decent size, plus they are in most cases trouble free helped by the elements being mostly kept out.

Don't get me started on EPB's.:-)

*Landcruisers fitted with rear vented discs for complete overkill :-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 22/11/2016 at 23:08

Honda Civic - Honda rear brake calipers. - RT

I much prefer the drum inside disc design,

That's troublesome for many owners - the inside of the drum corrodes, like any drum brake, but isn't cleaned by application of the brake while rotating - it's only applied once stationary.

The easy cure of course is to drive a few yards/metres with the handbrake partially applied occasionally - but few owners know that or do it - and can't easily be done with EPB!

Honda Civic - Honda rear brake calipers. - Peter.N.

The Peugeot 406 has a drum handbrake and most of them dont work.

Always leave your car in gear when parked.

Honda Civic - Honda rear brake calipers. - madf

The Peugeot 406 has a drum handbrake and most of them dont work.

Always leave your car in gear when parked.

Car Mechanics has an article rebuilding rear brakes on a 406 Nov 2016 edition.

Absolute rusty junk from the photos.

Honda Civic - Honda rear brake calipers. - skidpan

Had probably 8 cars with the handbrake that used the rear calipers since 1986 and in that time I have had issues with just a single caliper and that was after almost 100,000 miles. Simply fitted an exchange caliper, cost about £30.

Had one car with drums inside the discs (a Kia) and never had an issue but as far as I am concerned its a solution to a problem that does not exist. The fact that any rust does not clean off while you are driving was a worry especially since Kia brakes attract surface rust faster than any other make I have esperienced. As far as I know Kia don't use such a system now.

The Kia Sorento still uses drum within a disk - same as Hyundai Santa Fe

Honda Civic - Honda rear brake calipers. - galileo

Had probably 8 cars with the handbrake that used the rear calipers since 1986 and in that time I have had issues with just a single caliper and that was after almost 100,000 miles. Simply fitted an exchange caliper, cost about £30.

Had one car with drums inside the discs (a Kia) and never had an issue but as far as I am concerned its a solution to a problem that does not exist. The fact that any rust does not clean off while you are driving was a worry especially since Kia brakes attract surface rust faster than any other make I have esperienced. As far as I know Kia don't use such a system now.

My i30 has this system, now 7 years old/50K miles, original discs all smooth and shiny; maybe the Hyundai factory uses different supplier to the Kia Ceed one.

Ok I will tell my wife to travel more miles than than she has to get to work, maybe travel around for a few miles evey day just to bring the usage up to what you think is usable milage.M"""""t and that's being polite.

Ok I will tell my wife to travel more miles than than she has to get to work, maybe travel around for a few miles evey day just to bring the usage up to what you think is usable milage.M"""""t and that's being polite.

The point is that YOU need to accept that low mileage can CAUSE issues - as many things on car deteriorate with time.

The advice here is freely given - and you get a choice whether to accept it or not.

Telling Me how to drive now. PRICELESS mother sucking eggs.

Honda Civic - Honda rear brake calipers. - hardway

There's a little ratchet device in the calliper piston,

And it operates via the calliper quadrent lever.

Idea is every time the H/brake lever is pulled on/off this ratchet moves the piston out a little to compensate for pad wear.

This calliper lever HAS to return to the off position when the H/brake is off.

What I usually find is some monkey has tightened up the cable which will give you a hand brake for this years MOT but will result in the little lever siezing in a part on position.

Next year it's new callipers time.

I couldn't tell you how many rear brake mot failures I fixed because of this miss adjustment of the hand brake cable free play.

the pistons have to move out!

That's also why a wind back tool is needed to fit new pads,

The piston has to be set to "zero".

Correctly set up and adjusted ALL rear callipers will pass an MOT.

Thank you to all the people who have given constructive and helpful answers , as for the other two, get a life or a hobby, you clearly have too much time on you hands.

Honda Civic - Honda rear brake calipers. - Steveieb

Hi James,

Could we be overlooking the fact that Honda had a problem with the handbrake mechanism when the parts were manufactured by a Spanish sub contractor, shortly after returning to the original UK supplier to replace the faulty component.

It might be interesting to find if your car was on the recall list.

Cheers.