What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Octavia - DSG dry clutch info - superad

Hi all. I've read numerous threads about DSG and clutches but can't find info I am looking for.

Just bought a 2015 Octavia 1.6 TDI DSG which I believe to have a dry dual clutch. I am using at as a taxi so lots of stop start motoring approx 50k a year.

Can any the tech guys tell me the anticipated life of the clutch. I read is designed to last the life of the gearbox?

Also the approx cost of clutch replacement. Car has only done13k but this info will help me to budget and plan ahead for repairs or future car replacement.

Skoda Octavia - DSG dry clutch info - RT

The auto industry uses the miracle phrase "designed for the life of ..." but never defines what the lifetime is - just like "sealed for life" but the life may be short!

Skoda Octavia - DSG dry clutch info - Cris_on_the_gas

I thought the clutch oil needs changing at 60k miles or 6 years.So in this case every 60k mileage. Cost of about £200 at main dealer so should be cheaper elsewhere

Skoda Octavia - DSG dry clutch info - skidpan

I thought the clutch oil needs changing at 60k miles or 6 years.So in this case every 60k mileage. Cost of about £200 at main dealer so should be cheaper elsewhere

The OP states the car has the dry clutch gearbox so why on earth suggest changing the clutch oil. Some DSG's are wet clutch. As a rule in "normal" VAG cars the 7 speed is dry and the 6 speed is wet.

Skoda Octavia - DSG dry clutch info - RT

Anecdotally, I've heard the wet 6-speed lasts but the dry 7-speed doesn't.

I know no more as I won't have an autobox that doesn't have a torque converter.

Skoda Octavia - DSG dry clutch info - medview

Hello

I've got a late 2011 7 speed dry DSG behind a 1.4TSI petrol engine in a Golf. It's into it's second clutch pack, replaced at 35000 miles under extended warrantee with current mileage at 55000. I was the second owner of the car so I don't know how sympathetic the first owner was to their clutch. I'm very careful always thinking of wear/heat buildup. Stop/start/creeping traffic is best avoided for longivity.

My gut feeling is that the DSG 7 speed is not really suitable for high mileage commercial use behind a Diesel but perhaps there's been improvements. It's a pity you didn't get the 2.0 Diesel with 6 speed wet transmission as this has the benefit of a much higher torque rating and oil cooling, even if it requires fluid changes every 40k miles.

The operational software is continually improving and I forced a few upgrades from my dealer, one before and one after the clutch pack replacement.

At the first sign of repeatable judders in first/second or reverse gears I'd recommend selling the car as the clutch pack replacemet is not easy or cheap. I took extended warrantee but this only ran to late 2016. It's worth checking out if it covers your usage.

The transmission is a delight but I'd rather a good old lockup torque convertor alternative, which VAG don't offer yet.

Good luck. Joe

Skoda Octavia - DSG dry clutch info - skidpan

Anecdotally, I've heard the wet 6-speed lasts but the dry 7-speed doesn't.

Where I worked until recently we had a Golf 2.0 TDi DSG which obviously had the 6 speed wet clutch box. It had 2 users before becoming a pool car. The first user looked after it like a new born, the second simply abused it. As a pool car who knows how it got treated. After 150,000 miles no gearbox or clutch problems.