SEAT Ibiza SC - paid holding fee for mis-advertised car - kelly farnell

I recently found a car at a dealer whilst using car trader, the photos looked presentable, the details written stated it was a good condition car. I rang them up they said they would hold the car for me to view at £200 price. I paid that with credit card. I went to see it, the salesman was unpolite passed me the keys and told me "it was up there" had a look at the car it had dents and damage all over the body, it was filthy but was told it just had a valet; mould had started to corrode the rubber seals. the car wouldn't even start as the battery was flat. The interior was damaged and scratched. The windows were electric and wouldn't even go back up. Under the bonnet, all reservoir's i.e. the coolant was overfilled. Didn't even take it for a test drive as I dared to think what the engine was like. This car was nothing like it was stated in the advertisment. I also made a list of all the faults from what they advertised and the substancial evidence. I Spoke to another salesman and he was very rude and straight away said he wasn't going to drop the price. He stated with witnesses present that "they dont advertise their cars properly as no one would buy them" where do I stand legally with asking my holding fee back as the car was far from what it was advertised or shown in photos.

SEAT Ibiza SC - paid holding fee for mis-advertised car - RobJP

If you've paid by a credit card then you just tell the card company. They'll deal with it, make sure you tell them you want to get your money back under Section 75 of the consumer Credit Act

SEAT Ibiza SC - paid holding fee for mis-advertised car - Brit_in_Germany

The 14 day cancellation period of the Consumer Contract Regulations might also be a solution.

SEAT Ibiza SC - paid holding fee for mis-advertised car - TheBroker

Hi I agree with both comments.

Your credit card company should just unwind this for you and the operator will just have to suck it up.

Also under the distance selling regulations you are entitled to a 14 day cooling off period for transactions at arms length (internet/phone/post) so they have to refund you anyway.

Probably easier to go via credit card company as they don't care either way they just apply the rules and are too big for a smaller company to argue with anyway.

Good Luck,

TheBroker

PS. Avoid car supermarkets like the plague, they just buy cheap from auctions and push them straight out with no effort. You may as well just go to auction, you would save on their upsell and probably get better customer service (none is better then someone being rude to you).

SEAT Ibiza SC - paid holding fee for mis-advertised car - Avant

Interesting comment about car supermarkets from The Broker, who is clearly in the industry and knows his stuff.

Any other experiences of these?

SEAT Ibiza SC - paid holding fee for mis-advertised car - TheBroker

Interesting comment about car supermarkets from The Broker, who is clearly in the industry and knows his stuff.

Any other experiences of these?

Yes I was a (nearly) customer to them in my younger days. Practically force fed a couple of options them deemed to fit my needs. None ideal but test drive one which had a dodgy clutch, they tried to tell me it was because I was new to driving and I would get used to it. The clutch was slipping like mad. Obviously I walked away. They are there just to shift metal for as much as possible onto what they hope are lazy/busy/inexperienced buyers who they can sell cheap auction cars to. Pressure sales etc are employed too! A certain supermarket for example are right next to BCA in Enfield, that is no accident I'm sure. A good local dealer who you can speak to and shout at if need be offering a decent warranty (not their own which will most likely be written on Swiss cheese) is usually the best way to go. Good Luck, TheBroker