What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CRV - 1.6 vs 2.2 diesel auto? - Dingle232

I am looking at buying a Honda CRV and have narrowed it down to a choice between a 14 plate 2.2 i-DTEC and a 15 plate 1.6 i-DTEC. Both are autos.

The price differential between the two is around £2500 and I'm aware that the 1.6 has the newer 9 speed gearbox and has 'slightly' better mpg.

Just wondered if any Honda/CRV owners had experience of either/both, and general advice as to whether the 1.6 is worth the extra?

Thank you.

Honda CRV - 1.6 vs 2.2 diesel auto? - Falkirk Bairn

Read an article on the new 1.6 diesel - apparently it is a good engine in general.

The complaints come from the owners who tow - moving off with a caravan attached is not the best as it needs to get the revs up before there is any real power.

Honda CRV - 1.6 vs 2.2 diesel auto? - Ethan Edwards

A friend has the 2.2 CRV Auto. From all accounts its a smooth reliable powerhouse, pretty quiet (for a TD), but not that economical. Owned three years with Zero issues. Lovely car I wish I could have afforded. He bought the top of the range with all the toys and it was (compared to my QQ ..expensive).

Having been in the car several times I think it's a lot better than the two litre diesel lump in my Qashqai auto but mines easily better on fuel economy. I've owned my QQ three years with no engine /drivetrain issues (a few other bits mind).

My own preference would be for the 2.2 and hang the expense. I assume youve looked on HJ's real MPG and test drove both? So your call.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies. Since posting I have ruled out the 1.6 purely on the basis that it's stretching my budget too much.

I have since also driven a Rav4 with identical spec and the differential between the tow is around £3k (Rav is cheaper).

I liked them both but, drive wise I had apreference for the CRV but, again, am not sure it's worth £3k more than the Toyota. The Rav is an ugly bug of a car but I am guessing it's as reliable as most Toyotas and Hondas?

Am new to the whole SUV game so any guidance on the erspective merits of the two would be a great help thanks.

Honda CRV - 1.6 vs 2.2 diesel auto? - Falkirk Bairn

3 weeks ago DTD were doing 25% off some Ravs and 21% off CRV 1.6 EXs

Honda CRV - 1.6 vs 2.2 diesel auto? - RT

I'm not challenging them, but it would be useful to know your reasons that lead you to a SUV - there are many reasons those of us with one chose it.

Do you need to go off-road - how often, what sort of terrain? Do you tow - how heavy? How much space do you need? What level of luxury to you need/want? What economy do you need/want? How many miles/year do you do - short or long journeys?

Honda CRV - 1.6 vs 2.2 diesel auto? - focussed

I am on my second 2.2 ctdi-powered vehicle, the first was a Civic the current is an Accord Type S. The 2.2 was never any bother in the Civic apart from the clutch, sorted under warranty, and is superb at 180 hp in the Accord.

The CRV with a tiddly little 1.6 diesel you can keep - too much car-not enough engine.

I'm not challenging them, but it would be useful to know your reasons that lead you to a SUV - there are many reasons those of us with one chose it.

Do you need to go off-road - how often, what sort of terrain? Do you tow - how heavy? How much space do you need? What level of luxury to you need/want? What economy do you need/want? How many miles/year do you do - short or long journeys?

Change of circumstances really as I have recently bought a place in the Lakes so lots of load lugging and want to get 2 bikes in the back rather than use a towbar.

In addition many of the roads where we are are very narrow and not the best so the elevated driving position will be a real bonus.

Honda CRV - 1.6 vs 2.2 diesel auto? - mike hannon

I've owned an Accord 2.2 iDTEC 5-speed auto for the past 3.5 years and it's the best auto transmission I've ever had (and I've had many), even better than the GM400 in my 6-litre XJS.

In the Accord I get 46mpg knocking about and just over 50mpg on a run.

Honda CRV - 1.6 vs 2.2 diesel auto? - focussed

I've owned an Accord 2.2 iDTEC 5-speed auto for the past 3.5 years and it's the best auto transmission I've ever had (and I've had many), even better than the GM400 in my 6-litre XJS.

In the Accord I get 46mpg knocking about and just over 50mpg on a run.

I cannot admit to achieving those figures in my 2015 Accord Tourer Type S with a manual box as I do hoof it around a fair bit but on a long motorway trip using cruise control I can get to around mid-forties.

I know that on the trip to the ferry when I bought it from Coventry and was dawdling to Portsmouth at 60mph because I had time to spare it will do mid fifties.

As the current French price for diesel is around £0.92 per litre fuel mileage is not a major concern!

Advice gratefully received and 14 plate 2.2 I-DTEC EX bought today and arrives next Thursday. Great spec and am made up with the panoramic roof as never had one before. It's done 11k with full dealership history so should give me many years of reliable ownership.

Hope it's as trustworthy as my Toyotas were!!
Honda CRV - 1.6 vs 2.2 diesel auto? - Avant

Many thanks for coming back and letting us know. Good luck with it; I know several people with CRVs and all are very happy with them. I can think of at least two friends who are on their second.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but it seemed more apropriate than starting a new one even though the subject is now somewhat different to my original post.

Apologies also in advance for the long post but bear with me.

I have had the CRV for a few weeks now and it's a mix of disappointment and frustration. The car actually has a few issues - some may regard them as small, some not - but I'm less than happy and for a car with 11k on the clock I expected better so to me they are not small. In summary there is:

1 - A significant vibration through the car when it's idling even when warm. This is particularly prevalent when you are in the driver's seat.

2 - An intermittent noise from the gearbox/engine/drive units when the engine is under load. It doesn't happen all the time but is definitely linked to when you increase power and sounds 'mechanical'.

3 - The Tyre Pressure Mnitor has a mind of its own - I am assured there's a fix so not worried - just should have been fixed before I got it.

4 - Interior trim rattles - again minor but annoying.

I am not at all bothered by 3&4 as they are rectifiable but 1&2 I am. I took it to the dealers yesterday with all 4 of those issues due to be looked at. After having all day they had a stab at number 4 and didn't do a very good job either. When I asked about the others they simply informed me that the car has had a 'full health check'and that 'all was ok'. On pushing them they weren't committing to anything so either there is an issue or they simply haven't looked.

This may or not be relevant but, despite having FSH, the car trim (bottom of door panels, boot entrance lip etc) are quite badly marked and I can't help but wonder if the car has had a hard life, maybe as a hire car which many are. I bought it from a main dealer online - from the video and their description it seemed fine. First time I have ever bought a car 'blind' in my life. Never again.

Not being one to give up I am now booked in at a separate dealers next Tuesday with a very clear instruction as to what is wrong. Whilst I don't want to prejudge their initial approach to wanting to have a look was equally as apathetic as the first so I am not full of confidence but we shall see.

I had previously read glowing reports on Honda dealers (I am a previous Toyota owner and was a whisker away from going with my gut feel and buying a RAV4) but that's not proving my experience. The CRV is out of warranty in 7 months and I don't want issues after that hence the reason I need to consider my options reasonably quickly.

I may be ok next week and they may fix the issues (or reassure me that they are ok) in which case I am happy..ish as long as I am not just being fobbed off. However in the event that they can't or I am unconvinced then I have 2 options:

1 - Retain the car and continue to take it up with dealers. High energy/low reward.

2 - I have the option of exchanging the vehice for a slightly newer, immaculate, same spec, RAV4 obviously with much greater warranty left.

Whilst I don't particularly want to change for the sake of it I will admit that there's an element of 'trust' that I have in Toyota from long personal experience but don't want to make a rash decision or make one for the wrong reasons, if indeed that would be one. I am not at that stage yet and my head is still in the place that says 'fix the CRV' but neither have I the will to spend endless days in service departments.

Any advice on the situation and, also, whether the RAV4 would be a better/worse car to own than the CRV?

PS: Sorry again for the long post.

Edited by Kewsea on 03/08/2016 at 22:01

Honda CRV - 1.6 vs 2.2 diesel auto? - Avant

With (1) you need to try another diesel CRV and see if it also vibrates at idle. Many diesel engines do, some more than others. It may not be abnormal, but if you're sure it is, see what the dealer says.

With (2) you will have to ask a mechanic to go out with you and see if the noise happens. Intermittent faults have a habit of never showing themselves when a mechanic is on board.

You need to to give the supplying dealer one chance to fix it.

With (1) you need to try another diesel CRV and see if it also vibrates at idle. Many diesel engines do, some more than others. It may not be abnormal, but if you're sure it is, see what the dealer says.

With (2) you will have to ask a mechanic to go out with you and see if the noise happens. Intermittent faults have a habit of never showing themselves when a mechanic is on board.

You need to to give the supplying dealer one chance to fix it.

Thanks Avant. I tend to drive a few before I buy and this is the only one of 3 I drove that has the vibration to this degree and indeed at all - it's on the excessive side and certainly more than I have ever experienced in any other.

Re (2) that's the plan next week.

The issue for me, and it's not an easy one, is whether I stick or twist if I am not assured sufficiently. It's a 'grey' situation.

Honda CRV - 1.6 vs 2.2 diesel auto? - madf

Friend drove me 20 miles in a 1.6 CRV.

Very quiet and smooth. Brand new but 47mpg on the display (not doubt optimistic).

I looked at the 1.6 when I bought it but it was just a bit out of my price bracket really. The 2.2 is a good engine in its own right though to be fair, not the most powerful but good enough.

That's a big part of the reason that, ideally, I want to keep the car as long as it's hassle free. I think I'd be the unluckiest bloke on the earth if I managed to find a dodgy Honda but I guess even they exist.

I still have a Plan B with a RAV4 if next week doesn't sort it but am really hesitating over whether I should then push the button or not. Aesthetically I don't like the Toyota as much as the Honda (though neither are pretty) but just have more historical confidence in the brand.

I just don't have the energy for car hassle to be honest.