What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Estate 2005 tdci 135000 miles - 2005 Mondeo tdci startup issue - Beags

Hi, car is acting odd. On startup it does one of three things:

1: starts perfect, both cold and warm

2: acts like it's starved of fuel, starts fine but no throttle response for a few seconds then roars into life chucking out bluey/black smoke

3: starts fine but has a clunk/thud that sounds like it's from the back of the engine.

I have noticed with points 2 and 3 the altenator light is on for about 5 seconds then goes off. Car then drives perfect, no issues with clutch/gear change. No bangs, thuds etc. Has the usual ratterly altenator tensioner issue. Any ideas what I'm facing?

Ford Mondeo Estate 2005 tdci 135000 miles - 2005 Mondeo tdci startup issue - Mr.G

are you pre heating it enough?.. wait for the curly orange light to go out even a few seconds after it goes out, before cranking engine, sometimes starting them to quickly can do this.. if your sure with yourself thats not the case, i would whip the heater plugs out for a test maybe one or two aint working and if you got a test lamp check for power down at plugs when ign is switched on

Ford Mondeo Estate 2005 tdci 135000 miles - 2005 Mondeo tdci startup issue - Beags

Hi, yes waiting until the glow plug light goes out, can take a while though. I'll check the plugs put though. Cheers

Ford Mondeo Estate 2005 tdci 135000 miles - 2005 Mondeo tdci startup issue - elekie&a/c doctor

"starts perfect hot or cold".It won't be the glow plugs then.These only activate in near or sub zero conditions.If I recall,there is a engine control unit software update for this fault.

Ford Mondeo Estate 2005 tdci 135000 miles - 2005 Mondeo tdci startup issue - Mr.G

used to have a 2005 mondeo tdci myself i can assure you .. if i would turn the engine over too quickly it behaved very similar to as described,

Just to update in case anybody else has the same issues. Car is now fixed, three issues in all; split turbo pipe, fuel filter gunked up and the clunk on start up was due to the exhaust not being fitted properly. Every bolt on every bracket was loose. Cost £30 to fix and now starts perfect.