What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CRV 160BHP auto with a Skoda Scout DSG 180 - Is it fair to compare . . . - DirtyDieselDogg

As above, I would rather settle for the 150BHP engine, but in Scout spec to get DSG, tis the 180BHP only.

But got a serious hankering for the Honda CRV.

thoughts?

Honda CRV 160BHP auto with a Skoda Scout DSG 180 - Is it fair to compare . . . - Falkirk Bairn

CRV is one of the most reliable cars on sale in the UK.

160BHP diesel has more performance than the asthmatic 2.0 petrol (that I have!)

The Skoda has a DSG gearbox that has "issues" - ask HJ

Honda CRV 160BHP auto with a Skoda Scout DSG 180 - Is it fair to compare . . . - Metropolis.

Much smoothergearbox in the CR-V, also better overall reliability. VW group electronics are a nightmare.

Honda CRV 160BHP auto with a Skoda Scout DSG 180 - Is it fair to compare . . . - gordonbennet

Yes its ok to compare, each will have its own merits, its likely but not guaranteed that the CRV will be a better long term out of warranty bet, but if likely to be traded in when warranty expires it really doesn't matter if the DSG dissolves a week later.

I'd judge these on how long i was proposing to keep, long term it would have to be the CRV for me, shorter term all under makers warranty whatever i fancied.

Honda CRV 160BHP auto with a Skoda Scout DSG 180 - Is it fair to compare . . . - madf

Was given a lift in a new Honda CRV last week. Remarkably quiet and comfortable. Impossible to say it was a diesel.

Honda CRV 160BHP auto with a Skoda Scout DSG 180 - Is it fair to compare . . . - DirtyDieselDogg

Thanks all,

(i)I may be prepared to gamble that the mighty VW group might, just might, re-invent themselves.(and see (iii) below)

(ii) I understood that, for all their faults VW Fanboyz were very good at staying on top of VW electronic gremlins and pragmatic "work-arounds", I also get the impression the VAG products are possibly the most "tinkered" upon, specially electronically. But then I dont take an interest in Ford or GM products to the same extent.

(iii) DSG faults, 'ere-Sur, ah cud write a book . . .,

but again prepared to gamble that having learned from the British in the last couple of Wars, the Germans, aka VAG, will always get it right, after they have explored every other possibility.

(iv) GB, It ud be a "keeper", your comments are therefore carefully noted.

Regards

Marcus

Honda CRV 160BHP auto with a Skoda Scout DSG 180 - Is it fair to compare . . . - NARU

Have you driven the CR-V? I test drove one, expecting to swap from my 2007 Landcruiser. I was very underwhelmed, and decided to stick.

A year later, and the urge to change is back. I'm thinking of a nearly new Volvo XC70 this time.

m u s t n o t l o o k a t X C 7 0 , sombody stop me, please!

Though i had considered an Xc 60, cept i ruled it out due to the current & ongoing/unresolved diesel gremlins.

m

Honda CRV 160BHP auto with a Skoda Scout DSG 180 - Is it fair to compare . . . - Falkirk Bairn

XC 60 D5 - youngest son bought one 6 years ago & it was spot on - good car, reliable, swallowed baby stuff etc etc.

Sold it 3 years ago with no expense other than servicing (dear!!) & tyres.

He was in the market again a few months back - he did not even consider it - still the "same car" but with the new problems mentioned above

Honda CRV 160BHP auto with a Skoda Scout DSG 180 - Is it fair to compare . . . - Paul Robinson

I've had a Scout DSG 184 for nearly 2 months (on a cheap lease deal from Ling). There are lots of good things to say about it - plenty of power, I think the official 0-62 is 7.5 and it feels quick. Early days for economy but obc is indicating about 50 mpg. Steers, handles and rides very well, much more fast estate than SUV. Good levels of comfort, quiet and surprisingly spacious for its reasonably compact dimensions.

DSG hesitates slightly selecting reverse then drive and you learn to just wait..

My main initial reservation after a first long drive was that the driving position is slightly odd - feels like the seat is just a bit too close to the center of the car and the seat base is slightly too short. Thought this was just me, but read a review on autotrader where an owner said exactly the same, hopefully it's something I won't notice after more use.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Paul Robinson on 09/05/2016 at 19:12

Honda CRV 160BHP auto with a Skoda Scout DSG 180 - Is it fair to compare . . . - oldtoffee

The CRV has or has had some recent embarrassing issues with the 4 wheel drive not working properly, something to do with software limiting the torque transfer. So if 4wd is important to you I'd check that out. I have the 184bhp VW TDi engine in a Seat Leon and it feels a load quicker than 0 to 60 in 7.5 seconds, it really does go very well and a 4wd estate with that engine would tick most boxes for me.

I however, understand that problems are not unheard of in VW Group 4WD Vehicles in respect of (systemic?) damp ingress into the Haldex clutch packs, causing problems.

Ah well, I will just flog the 1.6 TDI/DSG for a wheen more miles yet, seeing as she is approaching virtually worthless (here in NI leastwise) scrapper value, tis worth more to me to drive than trade in.

M

Honda CRV 160BHP auto with a Skoda Scout DSG 180 - Is it fair to compare . . . - Avant

"Though i had considered an Xc 60, cept i ruled it out due to the current & ongoing/unresolved diesel gremlins."

I'm told that Volvo have sorted out the problems on new cars with the D4 engine - I hope so, having just bought one (a V60)! I presume the fix can be applied to existing cars. We'll see!

I looked at an Octavia Scout, having had three vRSs. It should have been the answer to the problem with the vRS - the firm side bolster to the front seats which made entry and exit difficult for SWMBO who has an arthritic knee. Unfortunately the Scout has a wider door sill which made it difficult for a different reason: maybe that's why the seat feels nearer to the centre of the car.

So try an XC60 if you like the look of it: list price is more than the Scout's but they're being heavily discounted.

Thank you Avant, your advice will be well appreciated by Senior Managment (who by-the-by has 2 replacment knees due to arthritis) was positevly "mad-keen" to purchase a Volvo V70, way back about 1996 after flipping a VW Vento, and only after sliding down the carrigeway on the drivers door side, did she realize it lacked side or curtain airbags, she described the startling slow-motion clarity of watching the bitmac whiz past the point of her nose, as she hung sideways in the seatbelt, the drivers door window being long gone.

This apparently made a bigger impression on her than the seatbelt did on her ribs, at least until she woke up squealing on the 3rd night after the accident.

My how I laughed, her accident being shortly after my Groin strain which she choose to find hysterically funny, especially in bed.

regards

marcus

PS

I also properly lusted for a Volvo S80 about 20 year ago.