What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Have I been conned on my MOT? - Neptar

Just put my Fiesta in for MOT today. I got a call rom the garage saying the rod end passenger side had gone and needed replacing or else it was a fail. He said he'd do it today if he can get the part.

5 mins after the phone call I decided to go on the online mot history checker to see if it had been failed. But when I check it's been passed. There's no way he could have fixed it for then. So he has either passed it knowing he will fix it at some point today. Or it's passed and he's tried to charge me for some work he hasn't done.

Thoughts from anyone in the trade? Can he register it as a pass before the work has been done?

Ford Fiesta - Have I been conned on my MOT? - Galaxy

No they can't. The VOSA regulations say that vehicles must be tested in the condition as they arrive at the testing station prior to any repairs being carried out. If they fail then this must be recorded as a fail and logged on the system.

I'm not too sure what's going on here. Have you spoken to the garage about it?

Ford Fiesta - Have I been conned on my MOT? - daveyjp

My wife's car had an MOT last week and the car passed.

However when I looked through the paperwork the car had failed first time - headlamp adjustment too high - tester fixed it and then passed the car.

The fail is on the system.

Ford Fiesta - Have I been conned on my MOT? - RobJP

Maybe a stupid question :

But are you sure you aren't looking at the old MOT expiry date, rather than the brand new one's start date ?

I've never known the public-facing database to be updated that rapidly. It often takes a week or two.

Ford Fiesta - Have I been conned on my MOT? - Neptar

Definitely today's date with a pass. The expiry date is 2017.

Using this page www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Here is a pic

Edited by Neptar on 26/04/2016 at 11:57

Ford Fiesta - Have I been conned on my MOT? - Wolfan

Definitely today's date with a pass. The expiry date is 2017.

Using this page www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Here is a pic

Last year there was an advisory for the O/S trackrod end. Did you get that done? If not although he should have failed it initialy that's probably the one he's picked up.