What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MOT madness! - Tony
I recently got my c-reg VW Golf MOT`d in Glasgow to be confronted by a total failure and an approximation of £330 worth or repairs needed to pass. Shocked and saddened I took it to another MOT garage, on the offchance that they may pass it, and guess what, they did - with flying colours. I don`t pretend to know a lot about cars but surely, it`s sad for the average punter who knows nothing about cars and goes to the `wrong` garage and ends up emptying their purses. Surely there must be some sort of overseeing body that looks after these MOT test operations?
Re: MOT madness! - fecker
But what did the car fail on at the first place?

Could be it needs some urgent work, maybe the second place couldn't be bothered checking it properly or maybe somewhere inbetween the two.
But (assuming you have brakes and stuff) I know which one I'd go for !
Re: MOT madness! - mike harvey
Tony,
Regrettably dead common, particularly when an offer says 'free MOT test with each full service'. Might aswell say 'get your leg lifted here'. The Ministry do have a complaints procedure, and you are entitled to ask at the MOT station for the procedure. Unfortunately, you will more than likely have to leave the car there whilst an inspection is arranged. Find a local garage through recommendation, and if it's good, keep using them and build a relationship. There are some excellent mechanics out there if you can find one.
Best of luck
Mike
Re: MOT madness + the Devil. - Dai Watchalowski
My theory on MOT (although I have an MOT testing facility) is that tests should be performed in Government owned test centres (much the same as Goods Testing Centres) thus reducing the risk of corrupt practices. I sacked a Tester a few years ago when a customer had complained about him viz:

Customer brought car for MOT, bent tester said "mmmmm £500.00 to get it to pass - but if I do it it'll cost you half" Turns out that the car should have failed on a steering fault but would have cost in the region of £100.00 to repair at dealer prices.Customer was a friend of mine who asked me for an opinion thus the scam was discovered - exit tester.(together with a letter to the DOT).
Re: MOT madness! - Roger Keene
Tony, you really should report your experiences to the Department of Transport as there is such a wide discrepancy between the two garages.
Something is very wrong here--motorists in your area need protecting!
Re: MOT madness! - Mark
Yep report to DOT they do eventually follow it up.

I did a few years ago following a similar experience, they took 3 months to get around to having a look but within 6 months the garage claiming masses of faults stopped doing MOTs.

Only other solution is to find a tester like the one I used when I first got a motorcycle. The trick was to take it into his yard on a rainy day. The test consisted of him looking out the window, first at the rain and second at the bike followed by a quick yep looks ok and writing out the ticket.

To his credit he was in his eighties. Friends used to say he did the same even on sunny days as he was too frail to move the bike of its stand and put it back again. On sunny days you would be told to come back in half and hour, if you hid by the gates and watched the bike would stay exactly where it was as would the tester; in his hut.

as ever

mark
Re: MOT madness! - Roger Keene
There is an excellent site called www.MOTUK.co.uk which details the appeals procedure. (as well as everything about MOTs)
Re: MOT madness! - Andrew Hamilton
Til my local MOT centre got to know me was to fail the vehicle on some minor point. Examples headlight adjustment, squirter motor failed although everything was OK before they went in. (A relative would take another vehicle in and same failure mode). Not worth arguing over the phone so you agree to it being sorted.
Now I wait while the mot is done and watch them if possible. Result a pass but about one hour of boredom. However I strongly support the MOT as a good safety measure except for the silly recent changes such as cracked number plate failure.
Re: MOT madness! - Andrew Tarr
I suspect some back-street garages fail cars on a trivial item such as a number-plate bulb, then fix it at cost and do a re-test, which they claim has to be total - including up on the hoist again to check the exhaust and brake lines, etc. This costs the customer nothing, but someone must pay - presumably DoT. Any comments?
Re: MOT madness! - Tom Shaw
Many years ago I took a Capri for an MoT, to be told by the tester that one of the front suspension legs was leaking and that both would need renewing (110 quid then, serious dosh at the time). He even showed me the offending leg while the car was up on the ramp, and sure enough there was evidence of an oil leak. Something about him rang a few alarm bells, particularly as I'd had the car exactly one year, and the dealer I'd bought from had replaced both legs as they were well shot. I took the car to another garage and explained what had happened, and after looking at the leg he said that the oil was engine oil which had obviously been added from a can. They must have caught quite a few people with that one.

On the other hand, I must confess to bunging another tester three quid to ovelook the fact that the handbrake mounting bracket on a Marina had parted company from the floor.

Oh foolish youth!
Re: MOT madness! - steve paterson
As an Ex. but still registered MOT tester, I'd like to add to this thread. There are some dodgy testers about but pressure from the boss is just as likely to influence the outcome of an MOT. I've worked at places where the MOT bay was used to regulate the flow of work, borderline cases being passed or failed to suit the workshop. A lot of decisions are based on 'opinion'. A bit of play in a steering rack might be OK to one tester but a reason for failure to another. On another day each tester might take the opposite view. The DOT are aware of all the problems that testers face and the sometimes inconsistent results. One of the 'Ministry' checks is to book in one of their own cars for an MOT. The 'customer' watches for correct testing methods and any unexpected result is discussed with the tester. (All testers are aware of this ploy, and any new customer who watches intently is treated with suspicion). If you don't have a regular garage and you need an MOT - Avoid the Fast / freefit operations, opinions will always err on the side of profit. If you have an older car, avoid Main dealers, their testers are used to seeing unworn bits. Try to find a station with older staff, they're more experienced and probably a bit more tolerant of part worn components. If you're completely paranoid about MOT stations, book it in at the local bus station. They're experienced, unbiased, and have no profit to make.
Dai mentioned HGV testing stations, generally these testers are pretty good, they're consistent and don't miss much. I took a lorry for MOT a few weeks ago and as usual there were three or four testers involved. On my way back to the workshop after the test, I realised that nobody had checked the wipers and washers. The human element again !
Re: MOT madness! - Mark
Also worth looking out for are Local Authority operated MOT stations usually attached to the vehicle maintenance depot for local council vehicles.

There is one not far from me and from what I have been told they are reasonable as they have no axe to gring and unlike fast fit places on not on commission to sell brakes, shocks ete etc.

Yours as ever

Mark
Re: MOT madness! - Dai Watchalowski
Gwynedd County Coiuncil has one on the Llandegai Industrial Estate, Bangor.

Damn just done myself out of a shedful of MOT trade ! ;-)
Re: MOT madness! - Alex. L. Dick
I have old Celica Supra serviced by the Toyota agency according to the book and ask them to get the MOT done. Never a problem.

I think the trouble is that there is no worthwhile profit on just doing an MOT and we must expect to have to cough up for something!

No excuse for what amounts to fraud, of course.
Re: MOT madness and TUV - Dai Watchalowski
Am I correct in thinking that the TUV in Germany are conducted in Government
owned centres ?