What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes C200K - Mercedes Benz Main Dealership Repair Fraud - RhonnH

I picked my car up yesterday after a main MB dealer had it for 9 days to replace the Steering Lock Mechanism, and I am now £1,036 lighter in the wallet!

But guess what, I decided to check my onboard dash cam when I got home, and low & behold I discovered something very disturbing! Ive read on various web forums how some people have fixed their steering lock problem using a mere hammer, well guess what, Mercedes Benz main dealers also utilise this method, check out my video on YouTube and hear the MB mechanic boasting how he has fixed my car with a HAMMER! He says "I fixed it mate, I fixed it with a hammer, fresh that is, brand new that is, I fixed that now, happy days yeah, I just started battering it!".

Ive emailed MB HQ and I am awaiting their response, I also made the MB dealer aware that Im on to them, awaiting a call on Monday from the branch manager.

Surely this amounts to common Fraud?

(Edit - you can't accuse a specific business of fraud on a public forum. I watched the video and it's not certain that the mechanic was referring to your car, although I agree he probably was.)

Edited by Avant on 31/01/2016 at 21:25

Mercedes C200K - Mercedes Benz Main Dealership Repair Fraud - RobJP

Unfortunately, unless you can PROVE that the mechanic was referring to your car when speaking, then you haven't got PROOF of fraud. He could well claim that he was referring to a body part that was catching on a wheel, or some such.

However, I would be very interested in hearing what the manager has to say about it all !

The camera only comes on when the ignition key supplies power, as the mechanic had the key in the ignition and then hit the lock it supplied power thus starting immediate recording, he then immediately shouts to a colleague "Ive fixed it!" he then goes on to say how he did it with a hammer, how much more evidence do you need?

Mercedes C200K - Mercedes Benz Main Dealership Repair Fraud - bathtub tom

You could ask for the old steering lock mechanism.

Perhaps there's evidence of hammer impact on the one in your car, if so then I wouldn't have thought it's a new one.

Mercedes C200K - Mercedes Benz Main Dealership Repair Fraud - jc2

Probably £36 for the lock and £1000 for knowing where to hit it!

Mercedes C200K - Mercedes Benz Main Dealership Repair Fraud - slkfanboy

Sure if he fixed it with a hammer there would be hammer marks? I would say the in small claims court you would have a good chance.

It's fraud if the invoice say supply and fit new steering lock.

Fair enough, and you have edited out the dealer, but how can you say its not certain? The guy is IN my car, he has JUST got the ignition & steering lock working by BATTERING it with a hammer, in turn the power from the 'fix' has caused the camera to start recording and the guy can be clearly heard boasting how he 'fixed' it, and then discusses about finishing the job, SIMPLES!

Mercedes C200K - Mercedes Benz Main Dealership Repair Fraud - alan1302

Fair enough, and you have edited out the dealer, but how can you say its not certain? The guy is IN my car, he has JUST got the ignition & steering lock working by BATTERING it with a hammer, in turn the power from the 'fix' has caused the camera to start recording and the guy can be clearly heard boasting how he 'fixed' it, and then discusses about finishing the job, SIMPLES!

If you have a problem like this you should take it up with the dealer first before showing it on here or anywhere else.

Also you say it is your car but you are just a randomperson on the internet so you could also trying to pull a scam or tarnishing the dealers name with a lie. I'm not saying that is what you are doing just that we have no way to know what is correct so you need to at first complain to the dealer and take it from there.

Mercedes C200K - Mercedes Benz Main Dealership Repair Fraud - TedCrilly

I think the O/P just wants someone to agree with him/her.

Personally all I see is someone sitting in what we are told is his/her car making some claims. Although suspicious its not conclusive proof of fraud or even that the car has quote.... `been repaired with a hammer`, far from it.

However it does need investigating and an explaination sought and the only person who can who can help is the dealer responsible for the work. Asking for comments then ranting and argueing when you get them wont help in the slightest.

Mercedes C200K - Mercedes Benz Main Dealership Questionable Repair Methods - RhonnH

This issue has now been resolved by way of the dealer showing me CCTV imaging of my car actually being pushed into their workshop for repair, they have also warned the technician about his hammer battering methods, they have also issued me with a £400 refund. So the matter is now closed.

Edited by RhonnH on 05/02/2016 at 18:22

Mercedes C200K - Mercedes Benz Main Dealership Questionable Repair Methods - 72 dudes

That's good to hear, but what about the balance of £636 you have paid?

Mercedes C200K - Mercedes Benz Main Dealership Questionable Repair Methods - TedCrilly

So you spoke to the dealer, who in turn investigated the issue resulting in a satisfactory outcome for you?