Extralube ZX1 - Primera_p
Has anyone used this water/petrol/coolant additive in the past. I have and believe it has had a positive effect. Anyone else care to comment?

I was thinking of buying some more but it's quite expensive. Can anyone suggest where I might find some reliable test-data? before I shell out again for it.

Thanks
Extralube ZX1 - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I have been using ZX-1 for years and am totally convinced of its efectiveness. If you look in the old back room you may find a post regarding how it saved the race engine (5.7 Chevy)in a Lola T70 after TOTAL lubrication system failure.
Andrew

Happiness is a T70 at full chat!
Extralube ZX1 - Mark (RLBS)
I found two references...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=42...6

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=465
Extralube ZX1 - mike_arch
Yes I have used Extralube ZX1 in the past few years in a number of situations.

First of all, though, ZX1 is not strictly an oil/petrol/water/coolant additive at all. It was designed initially as an molecularly engineered lubricant to extend the life of drill bits in the oil drilling industry. This it did with extraordinary success. It is infact a metal treatment which can be used in any situation where friction occurs between two metal surfaces. The molecules only bond to metal, at a temperature of 60 degrees Celsius, and form an extremely hard wearing layer one molecule thick.

I have used ZX1 to extend the life of my car engine (in the oil and fuel), in the gearbox, on the wheel bearings, and in the radiator coolant system (to prevent corrosion and reduce wear on the water pump.) This last application also freed up a sticking thermostat switch.

The product performs admirably as long as you use the manufacturers instructions carefully, and it has benefited my car by reducing wear and tear, freeing up the thermostat switch, allowing me to drive my car in a higher gear at lower speeds and revs (improving economy), and maintaining cold start protection.

I can highly recommend purchase of this product and suggest you try QVC UK for a good value purchase, this is unless you wish to buy in bulk from Team ZX1 themselves. :)
Extralube ZX1 - oilman
I've seen chemical analysis of it and I wouldn't sell or use it.

Cheers
Simon
I've seen chemical analysis of it and I wouldn't sell or
use it.
Cheers
Simon

Any chance of letting us know what the chemical analysis said and which organisation produced it?
Extralube ZX1 - 2zx12

Explain then exactley why you think it's unsutable?

Extralube ZX1 - 2zx12
I've seen chemical analysis of it and I wouldn't sell or use it. Cheers Simon

Another 'bar' chemist. Go and get some education, dumas.

Extralube ZX1 - bathtub tom

Another 'bar' chemist. Go and get some education, dumas.

He's had nearly ten years to get an education, unless you mean Alexandre Dumas: www.biography.com/people/alexandre-dumas-9280725

Extralube ZX1 - James_tddi
Out of interest, why would you want to reduce friction in a synchromesh gearbox? Surely, that would increase gearbox wear and tear because the synchro rings cannot do their job properly?

James
Out of interest, why would you want to reduce friction in
a synchromesh gearbox? Surely, that would increase gearbox wear and tear
because the synchro rings cannot do their job properly?
James

ZX1 reduces friction in the gearbox and smooths gear changes. It reduces wear and tear and makes the gearbox more versatile. It does not affect the synchro rings in any way that is noticable in a road car. If you check out Team ZX1's web site and look at their FAQs you will find helpful information their.
Extralube ZX1 - leeteam
Mike,
If you sell ZX1, do you have a web site where I can buy it?
Thanks
Extralube ZX1 - 2zx12
Mike, If you sell ZX1, do you have a web site where I can buy it? Thanks

Just click on ZX1 and read!

Edited by Avant on 04/03/2015 at 11:32

Extralube ZX1 - mfarrow
I have tried it twice in my engine and found that although there was a slight increase in performance, this was probably due to the oil change, and thus when I changed the oil 6 months later and didn't apply extralube, I noticed no difference.

I stopped using it because I read somewhere that the main ingredient in the oil dates back to the middle of the last century. The lubricant may infact work very well, but over time it actually corrodes certain metals (brass?) which are found in gearboxes/engines. So I'm steering well clear. As it's so expensive I've still got the 1/2 litre left though.

--------------
Mike Farrow
I have tried it twice in my engine and found that
although there was a slight increase in performance, this was probably
due to the oil change, and thus when I changed the
oil 6 months later and didn't apply extralube, I noticed no
difference.
I stopped using it because I read somewhere that the main
ingredient in the oil dates back to the middle of the
last century. The lubricant may in fact work very well, but
over time it actually corrodes certain metals (brass?) which are found
in gearboxes/engines. So I'm steering well clear. As it's
so expensive I've still got the 1/2 litre left though.
--------------
Mike Farrow

Extralube has lasted in tests up to 100,000 miles (only guaranteed for up to 25,000 miles) and so the no change you found in the subsequent oil change probably means you didn't need to treat the engine again anyway. There was probably plenty left.

As for the corrosion possibility the company assure me that the product has been extensively tested and shows no sign of such a problem. You might want to contact them with your concerns to find out if you have anything to worry about.

You might
Extralube ZX1 - Aprilia
Quote:

"ZX1 reduces friction in the gearbox and smooths gear changes. It reduces wear and tear and makes the gearbox more versatile. It does not affect the synchro rings in any way that is noticable in a road car. If you check out Team ZX1's web site and look at their FAQs you will find helpful information their."

This is typical advertising hokum and I suspect "Mike_Arch" is trying to sell this stuff. How do you make a gearbox "more versatile"? It you reduce friction in the gearbox then you are messing up the action of the friction modifier additives which all gearbox oils contain. Reducing friction will lead to slower gearchanges and 'baulking' of the synchro.

On no account use these additives in your car. Most vehicle manufacturers expressly caution against the use of additives and their use may invalidate any warranty on your car.

The best way to keep your engine and transmission in good shape is to regularly change the fluids and filters, using good quality oils and OE filters.
Extralube ZX1 - Colonel Panic
"This it did with extraordinary success. It is infact a metal treatment which can be used in any situation where friction occurs between two metal surfaces. The molecules only bond to metal, at a temperature of 60 degrees Celsius, and form an extremely hard wearing layer one molecule thick."

Can only be zinc dialkyl phosphate.
--
Sorry for any typos Im very long sited
Extralube ZX1 - Roberson
On no account use these additives in your car. Most
vehicle manufacturers expressly caution against the use of additives and their
use may invalidate any warranty on your car.

I agree. Looking at what some of these products are like, god only knows what in 'em. I looked at 'Stop smoke' variety. It had the viscosity of cold Golden Syrup. No wonder it stops smoke, it gunk?s everything up beyond belief.
The best way to keep your engine and transmission in good
shape is to regularly change the fluids and filters, using good
quality oils and OE filters.

At best part of £15 per treatment, you're better off putting it towards an oil and filter change. How many of these starship mileage vehicles you hear of use additives?
Extralube ZX1 - P 2501
>>This is typical advertising hokum and I suspect "Mike_Arch" >>is trying to sell this stuff.

Too right.
>>This is typical advertising hokum and I suspect "Mike_Arch" >>is trying to sell this stuff.

Too right.<<

I admire your skepticism. But you'll find that most people who tell you to avoid using additives of any kind are doing so out of a generalized background knowledge of many of the failed and poor ones on the market which have actually caused more harm than good. It is therefore wise to be skeptical.

But only a cynic will never even consider looking at a product to see if it really does what it claims, both reliably and safely. By all means wait for the tests and longevity tests to come out. This shows good sense. But don't let prejudice prevent you from exercising your right to choose.

I agree that the product is expensive though and therefore may prevent you from trying it. But if it was say £10-13 for 250ml would it change your mind?

Am I trying to sell it? Not really. After all I don't benefit from your purchase of the product - although both you and the environment might.
Extralube ZX1 - 2zx12

All you DUMMASES leave the bar and get educated.

>>> Looking at what some of these products are like, god only knows what in 'em. I looked at 'Stop smoke' variety. It had the viscosity of cold Golden Syrup. No wonder it stops smoke, it gunk?s everything up beyond belief <<<

I agree. You definitely have to be careful with a lot of additives. "Stop Smoke" is one of the most problematic particularly at high temperatures.

ZX1 is not an excuse to neglect the care of your vehicle. Regular oil and filter changes are most definitely highly recommended for engine longevity.

>>> How many of these starship mileage vehicles you hear of use additives? <<<

Your right! Most are high mileage because they are used for long journeys and regular use and are usually maintained well under a service contract. These are ideal conditions for engines with a good engine oil.

But to be honest most users of cars wouldn't necessarily tell you if they'd use additives in the car as well as regular services and oil changes. Most people add them as a one off and then forget about them. How many people tell you which brand of screen wash liquid they used, over its life, in the vehicle when you by used?
>>> when you by used? <<<

Sorry that should read "when you buy used?"
The gearbox is more versatile because it no longer has problems running at low revs in high gears. Most cars will stall or labour if for example you drive at 20-30 mph in fifth gear (particularly with a small engine) after treating with ZX1 my 1.2 N-Reg Corsa had no problems running at this speed (on the flat).

It even refused to stall at 15 mph in fifth gear(although you did have to change down to accelerate away).

Don't get me wrong ZX1 is not a "miracle product" but it is a very good one.

Shame it won't fix neoprene valve seals which become hard due to heat and wear. Still you can't have everything can you?
Extralube ZX1 - Civic8
TBH mike_arch,I fail to see why you are trying to promote this,some of what you said puts extra strain on vital components which says you have no idea.some things wont stand the extra pressure and within time likely to fail.it may not have happened to you so far? but is highly possible on another persons car,so you promoting this product is all very well.But if it fails on another car its not your problem
--
Steve
Extralube ZX1 - Aprilia
Most cars will
stall or labour if for example you drive at 20-30 mph
in fifth gear (particularly with a small engine) after treating with
ZX1 my 1.2 N-Reg Corsa had no problems running at this
speed (on the flat).
It even refused to stall at 15 mph in fifth gear(although
you did have to change down to accelerate away).

You're kidding aren't you? This has nothing to do with friction in the gearbox, its due to the torque and power output characteristics of the IC engine!

As someone who regularly gets his hands dirty I would say that you see very few engine problems due to poor lubrication. If the engine has been neglected then, yes, there might be wear problems, but not in properly serviced modern engines. Engine oils are pretty much 'sorted' nowadays and you simply won't benefit from additives.

Transmissions is an area where there do seem to be problems and cold-weather shift problems are more common that they used to be. This is due to a variety of factors, including developments in tranmission design and manufacturers being 'lazy' with the oil spec (often citing just one lubricant to cover all their 'boxes to keep down part inventory). However there are some good 'special brew' synthetics out there that will do the job without the need for additives. I wouldn't dream of adding any friction-modifying additive to a well-blended transmission oil.
Extralube ZX1 - P 2501
Thank goodness you are still here Aprilia.

The voice of experience and sanity.
This stuff as I have already said is zinc dialkylphosphate. This is already used in automotive oils, and more is not neccessarily better. The main reason no more than is neccessary is added is due to the fact it will poison a catalytic convertor if oil containing it is burned. It is also considered enviromentally damaging by the industry. It is an anti-scuff additive which will plate steel with Nikel if there is metal to metal friction (scuffing) and the temperature is over 60 deg C. It really is amazing stuff, but if you have metal to metal contact in an engine which the engine oil and it's additives can't prevent, then it's knackered anyway. This stuff is great in other applications though such as in industry or mining.
--
I meant zinc where I said nikel!
--
Thanks for the info. Will check it out.
Hmmm interesting. So what you're saying is that somehow my engine has increased in its power output so it was suddenly able to do theses things which it couldn't before. I will look into it.
Extralube ZX1 - Civic8
Hmmm interesting. So what you're saying is that somehow my engine has increased in its power output so it was suddenly able to do theses things which it couldn't before. I will look into it.

I think what you need to be aware of,certain additives,and in my oppinion most.give a small degree of help for a short time,as was mentioned,if servicing carried out at correct intervalls there is no need to use them.would suggest if you are convinced they work which at the moment is short term,beware of long term problems which may cause you to have no engine at all.Your choice,
--
Steve
Extralube ZX1 - 2zx12
I have tried it twice in my engine and found that although there was a slight increase in performance, this was probably due to the oil change, and thus when I changed the oil 6 months later and didn't apply extralube, I noticed no difference. I stopped using it because I read somewhere that the main ingredient in the oil dates back to the middle of the last century. The lubricant may infact work very well, but over time it actually corrodes certain metals (brass?) which are found in gearboxes/engines. So I'm steering well clear. As it's so expensive I've still got the 1/2 litre left though. -------------- Mike Farrow

At worse, this fluid will not cause any problems. Remember this fluid was developed for the North Sea oil explorations (Cica 1970) when the company had high rates of wear on their drilling quils, they asked ZX1 to come up a fluid to reduce were rates which they did and the wear rates reduces by between 70 and 80%! Need anyone say any more. It does effect ANY metals proven in tests. I've used it my diesel for 5 years and my engine runs sweeter as time goes on. All you' bar' mechanices wise up and get educated.

Extralube ZX1 - 2zx12
I have tried it twice in my engine and found that although there was a slight increase in performance, this was probably due to the oil change, and thus when I changed the oil 6 months later and didn't apply extralube, I noticed no difference. I stopped using it because I read somewhere that the main ingredient in the oil dates back to the middle of the last century. The lubricant may infact work very well, but over time it actually corrodes certain metals (brass?) which are found in gearboxes/engines. So I'm steering well clear. As it's so expensive I've still got the 1/2 litre left though. -------------- Mike Farrow

Althogh you say your not using ZX1. it's still working in your engine and will for the next 25000 miles! Happy. Just steer clear of all the other crap.

Extralube ZX1 - FP

Call me cynical if you want, but I get suspicious when an old thread is resurrected by someone with an axe to grind (possibly not a happy metaphor) and whose command of English is not the best.

Edited by FP on 04/03/2015 at 10:10

Extralube ZX1 - Avant

If you're cynical, FP, then I'll join you. This semi-literate person has come on here simply to be insulting. I'll close the thread, and close his account down if he does it again.

Extralube ZX1 - simmo_mp

Unfortunately, according to various forums our ZX1 Micro Oil Metal Treatment, is still being linked to ?oil additives?, after all the documentation displayed on our website www.team-zx1.com/What-is-ZX1.

ZX1 Micro Oil Metal Treatment does not mix with the oil; it only uses it as a carrier to transport its minute molecules to the metal wearing surfaces, as such it does not change the characteristics of the oil, in fact, it needs the oil to transport it to the working surfaces.

ZX1 Micro Oil Metal Treatmentis a friction eliminator that has been highlighted on QVC. It is often confused with scepticism as an "Oil Addditive for engines" in fact ZX1 Micro Oil Metal Treatment is a Metal Treatment therefore different to other engine treatments available on the market today.

It does not contain particles such as Teflon or P.T.F.E..,Molybdenum etc. (a common cause of blocked filters and airways). Extralube ZX1 is a more elegant solution to the problems of friction and wear. ZX1 is ENTIRELY FREE of congealing agents which can affect flow rates, design tolerances and the working of small active components.

The re-engineered hydrocarbon molecules in Extralube ZX1 Micro Oil Metal Treatment actually synergise with ferrous and non ferrous metals on contact, forming a complex long-chain molecular bond which is extremely slippery and tenacious.

At normal working temperature the ZX1 Micro Oil Metal Treatment cleans and treats your engine/equipment by impregnating and uniquely thermally bonding to the wearing surfaces without compromising any design tolerances. A 15 -20 minutes drive completes this simple treatment resulting in less friction, protected components along with increased mpg and reduced emissions.
Extralube ZX1 - Pugugly
Thanks for being honest in your response in that you are connected to the product - don't expect an easy ride here though.

Rob - Moderator.
Extralube ZX1 - macavity
www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=370679
www.saabscene.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=738932...s
Extralube ZX1 - Hamsafar
From the descriptions, it must be zinc dialkyldithiophosphate in a carrier oil? Most engine and gear oils (if not all) already contain this as an anti-scuff agent, but the amount has been reduced steadily over the years due to it being a catalyst and DPF poison, so if you have an older car or motorcycle or garden tool with neither of those, it could be very useful.

The substance works by sacrificing

Edited by Hamsafar on 02/11/2009 at 16:07