What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz GLC - buying a new RHD car more cheaply abroad - plasticram

Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether it's possible to buy a new right hand drive Merc abroad and make a saving on the UK price. Some years ago I bought a new Volovo xc90 in Holland at a fair saving over the equivalent UK price

Edited by plasticram on 29/10/2015 at 19:16

Mercedes-Benz GLC - buying a new RHD car more cheaply abroad - Engineer Andy

Unless you are lucky to find one that could be delivered directly to a dealership near the factory in Germany (unlikely to get a discount), maybe try dealerships in Ireland or Cyprus (which is where my Mazda3 was originally shipped to from Japan, then [unsold] on to the UK where I bought it [new] from Motorpoint).

To be honest, you may stand a better chance in getting a discount (if you include the cost of bring the car back from wherever abroad) by just looking at sites like Motorpoint (you still can buy new [registered to keep sales figures up a dealerships but zero/delivery mileage only] or low mileage [less than 5k, some even less than 1k] second-hand ones) or the 'fleet buy' sites that are featured on HJ's 'Cars for Sale' section.

Mercedes-Benz GLC - buying a new RHD car more cheaply abroad - RT

Any discount obtained by buying abroad need to be judged against online brokers discount prices, not list prices - so any discount likely to be small or non-existent by buying abroad and subject to possible differences in warranty and specification as well as higher insurance costs and lower trade-in value when that time comes around.

Edited by RT on 30/10/2015 at 08:12