What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 530 D - Advice for written off car - Steveieb

My beloved BMW 530D has been written off following a minor shunt set off the airbag.

But what a remarkably strong car it was with no hint of a stiff neck or damage to the occupants.

I have checked the value of similar cars on Autotrader and was surprised to find 2003 models with 130k fetching £3500 average. Is this the settlement I am like to receive or will it be taken from Glass s guide.

Grateful for your guidance on how to proceed.

BMW 530 D - Advice for written off car - daveyjp

There is guidance on this matter:

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/techni...l

Many thanks fo this,but I would be grateful for your experiences.
BMW 530 D - Advice for written off car - gordonbennet

SWMBO wrote my Landcruiser off many years ago, yes you might well ask how one does that, genuine mitigating circs.

Anyway, i was insured with NFU at the time and my experience with them is, if you can afford the premium you will not find a better or more fair minded insurer ever...the engineers report was so praising of the pre accident condition and obvious high maintenance of the car (as relayed by the excellent girls at the local office) that they offered me top book straight off, roughly a grand more than i had any hopes of receiving.

My only previous experience was being shunted up the back by a Jag years ago which pushed me into the van in front, fortunately the Jaguar driver was that increasingly rare beast an honest English gentleman who told his insurer (proper old school insurer) the truth, they offered about 2/3rds what i thought it was worth, i rejected the first offer and agreed the second.

My only experience of write-offs to date fortunately....he typed one handed whilst gripping the wooden desk firmly with the other hoping he hasn't given fate an invitation it can't refuse.

Many thanks GB.

We have business insurance with NFU but regrettably was not prepared to accept their very high quote fo motor insurance. But my landlord was really surprised with the very generous write off offer they made which he accepted straight away.

Understand they make an interim payment if the parties can,t agree.

What would be ideal would be if the insurer sourced a similar replacement vehicle.
BMW 530 D - Advice for written off car - RT

I'm not surprised NFU look after their customers - they sure as hell make life difficult for third parties who dare to get involved with one of their drivers!

BMW 530 D - Advice for written off car - RobJP

Stevieb : just because cars are up for sale on A/T at certain prices, doesn't mean they are selling for those prices.

A far better guide to realistic prices is actually ebay. Find the type of car and various details, and then select 'show completed listings'. Those in green have sold, or were close to selling at least.