What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Bantam LDV (based on Mk 4 Fiesta) - Radiator fan comes on when glow plugs go out - Bantamman

Hi, I am new to the forum and have a problem with my Ford Bantam LDV. It has the Endura DE diesel motor and was running nicely when all of a sudden it became sluggish to start. I replaced the fuel lines to ensure that there is no air in the system, and also replaced the glow plugs. The motor then fired up immediately, but I then saw on a voltmeter that I had fitted on the glow plugs lead that the glow plugs do not switch off, and that the wiring to the glow plugs is getting very hot and starting to melt the insulation! I then disconnected the wiring to the glow plugs and ran a voltage test on it. When I swith on the ignition there is 12v current to the glow plug lead, and, as it should, it switches off after about 10 seconds, but now the radiator fan immediately starts up! I'll appreciate some help!

Ford Bantam LDV (based on Mk 4 Fiesta) - Radiator fan comes on when glow plugs go out - hardway

Strip the wiring harness from the glow plugs and trace it back to the relay.

Somewhere along that harness the excess current has created a short.

And I'm guessing you know this!

It shouldn't be that hard to find the evidence.

Ford Bantam LDV (based on Mk 4 Fiesta) - Radiator fan comes on when glow plugs go out - Bantamman

Thanks Hardway, I'm going to try it,never thought of it was more thinking it could be a CPU problem. I even disconnected the wiring to the glow plugs and now run it via a pushbutton, but the fan still comes on.