What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz EV - Oil Capacity query - Ian_pull

I have a two year old Jazz 1.4 VTEC. I did the annual service including oil and filter change the other day. Left it to drain for a while, changed filter etc and then refilled oil. Manual states 3.6l capacity, so I poured in 3 litres (based on markings on side of the bottle of Mobil 3000 oil) and dipped the oil, it was well above full. Took car off ramps and ran assuming it would drop once circulated, but no. Still a week later well over. I measured the oil I took out when I took it to recycling centre.... +/- 3.5lt out, 3 litres in and well over!?! Today I have taken just over a litre out using sump pump and only now is it at top mark on dip stick... Any thoughts from anyone as to why this could be, what's the risk of the dip stick being wrong (not noticed it to be over full before)

Honda Jazz EV - Oil Capacity query - RobJP

It's quite easy for oil to be trapped in the oilways inside the engine.

Risk of the dipstick being wrong ? Absolutely nothing. If it was the wrong dipstick/wrongly marked, and you could show that was the case (in the event of an engine failure, for example) then Honda would have a large amount of liability.

The far higher risk is that by doing your own oil changes, you risk invalidating your warranty, or increasing the likelyhood of 'goodwill' not being forthcoming after warranty is over.

Cheers RobJP. Went to Honda dealer who confirmed dip stick was bang on and level was right, but I'm now getting occasional low oil pressure warnings! I'm pretty sure somehow there is only 2l of oil in engine despite dipstick. Garage want £70 for a job which took me 15/20 mins, but I'm considering getting Honda to redo it it anyway for peace of mind. Any idea the likelihood of significant airlock leading to incorrect reading not sorting itself out after a week or so?

Edited by Ian_pull on 01/10/2015 at 13:39

Honda Jazz EV - Oil Capacity query - focussed

The usual method that Honda specify for checking oil level is to run engine for five minutes, stop engine, leave for five minutes and then check the oil level.

Airlock? What in? Where? Very much doubt it.

Honda Jazz EV - Oil Capacity query - elekie&a/c doctor

Did you use a genuine Honda oil filter?

Honda Jazz EV - Oil Capacity query - skidpan

The usual method that Honda specify for checking oil level is to run engine for five minutes, stop engine, leave for five minutes and then check the oil level.

That is the method many makes use today. Caught me out at first, thought my engine was overful when I checked by the old method.

If the oil light is coming on you are probably damaging the engine, put some oil in it and check by the correct method, it will be in the handbook.

Oil changes do leave oil in the sump and galleries but is not over a litre, probably 1/2 a pint at most.

Honda Jazz EV - Oil Capacity query - madf

I repeat a prior question: was it a genuine Honda Jazz filter which you used?

Hi, thanks for the answers. Mobil 3000 oil ?5w40 I think from memory. Wasn't a Honda filter, but one of 'equal quality to manufacturers spec'. from reputable supplier. Im slowly adding more oil, .25 litre at a time. I think I'm gonna get Honda to redo for peace of mind

Honda Jazz EV - Oil Capacity query - elekie&a/c doctor

By fitting a non original oil filter has possibly invalidated the Honda warranty.So how much have you saved by this and any future damage to the engine.?

Honda Jazz EV - Oil Capacity query - focussed

A genuine Honda oil filter + sump washer is all of £13.99

I can't see the need to scrabble around for cheaper pattern parts of possibly dubious origin.

Honda Jazz EV - Oil Capacity query - Bolt

I was under the impresion honda engines burnt off overfill of oil, I know the civic does from personal experience, but as mentioned you must use correct oil filter, not much in price either

Filter was about that anyway

EU law mate, doesn't have to be genuine Honda to maintain warrenty.

So -3.5, + 3, - 1.25, + 1.25 = 3... Right? That's my issue, not the filter which maybe accounts for 200ml. Im gonna ask Honda to dip oil, give there opinion on level (currently showing well over) and do oil change but measure how much comes out... If less than 3.6lt capacity, then they pay for oil, if more, I pay. If when they refill it shows over, they pay, if bang on, I pay? Seem fair?

Honda Jazz EV - Oil Capacity query - Bolt

If the dipstick is the same as civic, the yellow plastic wire is very tight to the tube so its possible the oil is staying in the tube during removal, so when you reinsert it goes through the oil again and gives you a false reading

try leaving it several minutes before rechecking level in case that is what is happening as I mentioned it happens on the civic as well

Its unlikely your overfilling as the honda engine has excess oil burnoff, if that happens you would see blue smoke untill its burnt off

Edited by bolt on 03/10/2015 at 22:47

Honda Jazz EV - Oil Capacity query - madf

EU law mate, doesn't have to be genuine Honda to maintain warrenty.

No but you need records to prove:

the job was carried out competently

the materials used were to Honda spec.

So unless you are an experienced mechanic and keep excellent records, you are stuffed.

Soooo... The conclusion. Oil change at Honda main dealer found there to be just under 3 litres of oil. Refilled it with 4 litres which is their normal practice and it was reading well over on dipstick. They took dipstick out of jazz next to mine in garage and immediately identified mine was the wrong Honda dipstick. Still charged me for oil change as not their mistake! However, disgusted at the amount the charge for oil... They maintain I can't buy Mobil oil for less than £10 per litre, despite Halfords selling it at £30 for 5 litres! New dipstick is £15. Spoke to dealer, not their issue, would be garage that did service before I bought it, but not getting far.