What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - Audi A6 Black Edition Tdi Ultr

I have a brand new audi a6 Tdi Ultra and the oil servicing message presented itself at 9000 miles. I booked in to the local Audi dealers for an interim service. When I arrived they checked out the car and said it doesn't need it's first oil change until 18k ish. Long service etc.... the technician and front of desk are adamant there is no point in undertaking an oil change until then and the management message only presented itself because the car was set up for standard interval servicing, despite having long service oil filled as standard.

Should I get the oil changed anyway or am I being overly cautious?

Paying for the oil change is no issue, but for a s****** (dealer) to turn down work makes me think perhaps they are telling me the truth.

Thanks in advance.

Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - Railroad.

I wouldn't worry about it for the time being 'cos it'll soon get called back for rectification work following the emission scandal. I'd get it done then.

Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - skidpan

I have heard 2 versions of the VAG service story.

First version was they all leave the factory with the same oil and are set for long life service. The dealer resets for standard service if the customer does less than 10,000 miles a year approx or does mostly short trips.

Second version was the dealer orders the correct spec for the customer.

When mine was delivered it was standard service intervals which was what I would have ordered if asked so never asked anymore.

But if the second version is correct you don't want to be doing mega miles on the wrong oil.

Suggest you ring Audi Customer Service to get the correct answer, the VIN should tell them what was built.

Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - Halmerend
The Ultra is Euro6 compliant so it will not be recalled due to the VW emissions saga.

Edited by RobertT on 03/10/2015 at 08:53

Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - FoxyJukebox
As it's a new car and you quite obviously care-then the golden rule of an oil change every 10k or once a year is a better mantra than the 18k miles advice which only applies to company car drivers and those who do thousands of miles a month.
Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - RobJP

HJ's personal viewpoint is that a car should have an oil change at least every year or 10k miles, whichever comes first.

I spent a number of years working in the oil industry (R&D in Runcorn), and I agree with him on this.

HJ's personal viewpoint is that a car should have an oil change at least every year or 10k miles, whichever comes first.

I also think that its sensible to have an annual change carried out for what it costs but remember that modern oils are much higher quality than oils of old and are entirely capable of managing long service intervals and stay within grade.

Don't always believe what HJ says. He still insists Supermarket fuel is substandard and that you should only use Shell Nitro when its a known fact all fuel is the same from one of several UK depots and that the only difference is the snake oil added.

Don't always believe what HJ says. He still insists Supermarket fuel is substandard and that you should only use Shell Nitro when its a known fact all fuel is the same from one of several UK depots and that the only difference is the snake oil added.

Oh blimey, not this again. And please enlighten us all what exactly is Snake Oil?

Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - gordonbennet

I too agree with HJ's philosophy on this, i suspect the OP does too because they're asking the question.

Actually with what's happened recently is it the case of going back to gut feeling/common sense ideas.

Oh blimey, not this again. And please enlighten us all what exactly is Snake Oil?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil

Available at every Shell garage.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking this thread, but in answer to the above my brother is a Process Operator for a major UK oil refinery, and he knows a fair bit about petrol and diesel, and what goes into refining it from crude oil. It is true that the base stock is the same for 95RON, 98RON and diesel regardless of where you buy your fuel from, and all conforms to the relevant BS standards, but the end product consists of far more than just the base stock.

Each fuel company adds their own additves to the fuel after is has left the refinery, and it's these additives that enhance engine performance, clean and decarbonise injectors etc.

Supermarket fuel is often a couple of pence per litre cheaper than branded fuel. You can either conclude that Mr Asda and Mr Morrison are feeling generous and like to do the consumer a favour by saving him a couple of quid, or that the branded product is superior and therefore costs more. I know which one I believe and which one Skidpan believes.

Each fuel company adds their own additves to the fuel after is has left the refinery, and it's these additives that enhance engine performance, clean and decarbonise injectors etc.

The additives are actually added at the point the fuel is put in the tanker so that casts a shadow on the validity of your information.

If the oil companies would list what they added and tests could show they were beneficial I might consider suing premium fuels. But its all top secret and that could mean its highly dangerous, a planet saving product or snake oil.

I have been using supermarket fuel pretty much exclusively for 30 years now. Over that period me and the wife have probably done 500,000 miles and never had a fuel related issue. So why should I consider paying more when Asda, Morrisons, Tesco or Sainsburys is fine. When we go on holiday we have to use non-supermarket fuel, there are no supermarkets. Have any of our cars run any better, definetely not.

Additives may be added before the fuel leaves the storage depot, but not before it leaves the refinery. Also do racing cars use supermarket fuel? Probably not. You say your cars haven't suffered any loss of performance having run on supermarket fuel, but more likely you just haven't noticed it. One tank may not be that noticeble, but over time it could be very noticable.

My old car, a 2003 Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi ASV engine most certainly did lose that bit of edge when running on Morrisons fuel. Over time I noticed that it just didn't perform quite as well as it used to, but I didn't know what it was at the time. I plugged in VCDS and checked the performance of the MAF actual value against the ECM expected value and nothing untoward showed up. I did the same with the turbo boost pressure and EGR duty cycle, and pump timing base setting. No faults or inconsistencies were found and so I couldn't establish what it was. In the end I decided to use the local Texaco station rather than Morrisons, and within a couple of hundred miles its performance was back to as it used to be, leaving me in no doubt that branded fuel was better. A work colleague with a V8 Range Rover told me he experienced exactly the same, and was also in no doubt. Nothing major, just that little bit of extra zip.

Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - John F

I too agree with HJ's philosophy on this

I don't. For me, science trumps philosophy. With modern longlife oils and better metals there is no need for a dogmatic annual oil change. However, I think it sensible for an early oil and filter change for a new engine at around 8000 miles by which time it should be nicely bedded in, and from then on much longer changes at 20,000, 35,000, 50,000 etc if a big slow unturboed engine; but every 10k if smaller or more stressy. And if it has a turbo and/or timing chains, buy expensive oil, otherwise ordinary cheaper semi-synthetic will suffice.

I don't. For me, science trumps philosophy.

For me the proof is in the pudding.

I've driven lorries for a lifetime, these days with Gucci oils our 5 year lease lorries are sometimes needing engine rebuilds by 1m k's,

(our 62 plate German lorries came off the road for bottom end work at 12 months when they found ''apparent contamination'' in the oil, in truth probably another VW group non recall),

the rather better serviced Cummins of 70/80's vintage i drove would cover 1m miles easily and showed no appreciable wear.

Also on those overmaintained:-) engines in all those miles a turbo failure was simply unheard of, fast forward to today and they're stupidly regular.

Not as any of this matters, i'll do it my way and you'll do it yours, i suspect either of us could suffer massive engine failure through no fault of our own at any time...probably you first...:-)))))

One could argue its in a makers interests for vehicles not to last indefinately, some probably learned their lesson with the superb late 80's and 90's designs, they won't make that mistake again.

Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - galileo

the rather better serviced Cummins of 70/80's vintage i drove would cover 1m miles easily and showed no appreciable wear.

Also on those overmaintained:-) engines in all those miles a turbo failure was simply unheard of, fast forward to today and they're stupidly regular.

Interesting to hear that, GB, I wonder if this is because 70s turbos were plain and simple units matched to suit the normal operating rev range of the engine: nothing much would kill them if provided with good oil suppply and with clean, adequate air filters.

From the 80s onward, though, wastegates became almost universal, at first controlled by boost pressure agains a spring, nowadays controlled by the ECU (as are the Variable Geometry type as initially used by Iveco), possibly failed wastegate are a primary cause of turbo failures.

Interesting to hear that, GB, I wonder if this is because 70s turbos were plain and simple units matched to suit the normal operating rev range of the engine: nothing much would kill them if provided with good oil suppply and with clean, adequate air filters.

From the 80s onward, though, wastegates became almost universal, at first controlled by boost pressure agains a spring, nowadays controlled by the ECU (as are the Variable Geometry type as initially used by Iveco), possibly failed wastegate are a primary cause of turbo failures.

TBH i think the reliability of lorry turbos, and cars, is down to maintenance and a bit of driver care., (though take your point about simpler parts and probably less stressed being as the engines were bigger and didn't have every ounce wrung out of them so running easy continually.)

Fresh oil regularly given, or more importantly, the nasties removed regularly, and then the engine and its ancilliaries being allowed to warm up a bit and cool down a bit in the right order before and after hard work.

It's one of my things i have to do, i will not be told to start and drive away in a lorry, just aint doing it, similarly i'm not shutting straight down no matter how often they tell me the maker says its got water cooled this that and the other and its no longer necessary.

So far, in well over 3 million miles, mostly in turbo Diesels i'm yet to have a turbo failure i can recall.

Oh, by the way, even if the box is automated manual, as most now are, i still change the gears myself because i'm controlling the revs, not seeing the revs go unecessarily high at nearly every junction because second rate programming can't cope with moving junctions.

I have a simple balancing act argument for them when they try to come the idling wastes fuel current mantra...basically it goes like this..in my left hand i have a cupful of fuel used for warm up/cool downs for a week, in my right hand is two turbochargers, the cost of a wrecker capable of pulling 44 tons in, and down time and loss of revenue to fix, not counting the infinite cost of a customer let down...i'll take the left hand every time...anyway mines the best on fuel so they've got no argument.

I'll let you know if my method has worked again in two years time when my current twin turbo steed is replaced, so far out of the three identical 62 platers its had no faults other than a silly electrical problem with an aftermarket product pumping equipment relay, and the aforementioned bottom end pull down which all of them had...the others have spent a fair time at the workshops between them with various problems, one of them in particular using copious amounts of water, but it's early days yet.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/10/2015 at 17:47

I do love how everyone goes on about 'modern' synthetic/longlife oils, and how wonderful they must be.

Funnily enough, it seems to be the same people who HATE 'branded' premium fuels, insisting that they're no better than cheapo supermarket stuff.

There is a slight discrepancy there. In one respect, they're denying any advances (fuel), but in the other respect, they're claiming wonderful technological advances (oil)

As I said, I worked at a major refinery location for a number of years (12 years, actually), and I worked in oil R&D during all that time. I don't any more, as, eventually, I grew to hate the commute. There was also talk about the R&D work being moved, and I certainly wasn't going to re-locate.

So, my (knowledgeable) viewpoint is this, as previously stated : Change your oil and filter every 10k miles / annually, whichever comes first. In addition, ensure the old oil is removed via the sump, NOT through siphoning from the dipstick.

If John F or anyone else would like to refute that, then feel free. But let's see your background too, to actually see if you know what you're talking about, or if it's just some random spouting off.

I do love how everyone goes on about 'modern' synthetic/longlife oils, and how wonderful they must be.

Funnily enough, it seems to be the same people who HATE 'branded' premium fuels, insisting that they're no better than cheapo supermarket stuff.

There is a slight discrepancy there. In one respect, they're denying any advances (fuel), but in the other respect, they're claiming wonderful technological advances (oil)

As I said, I worked at a major refinery location for a number of years (12 years, actually), and I worked in oil R&D during all that time. I don't any more, as, eventually, I grew to hate the commute. There was also talk about the R&D work being moved, and I certainly wasn't going to re-locate.

So, my (knowledgeable) viewpoint is this, as previously stated : Change your oil and filter every 10k miles / annually, whichever comes first. In addition, ensure the old oil is removed via the sump, NOT through siphoning from the dipstick.

If John F or anyone else would like to refute that, then feel free. But let's see your background too, to actually see if you know what you're talking about, or if it's just some random spouting off.

This has always been my philosophy too. Regular engine oil and filter changes are the single best thing you can do to keep your engine in good condition. Those who prefer to change their engine oil on a mileage basis, no matter how long it takes to accumulate those miles then please carry on. The motor repair trade needs people like you.

<<LongLife Servicing and Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow Longlife III How advanced engineering and oil has changed the way your Volkswagen is serviced. LongLife Service regimes The LongLife Service regime is so called because there are no set service intervals and, depending on how you drive your vehicle, and the conditions of use, a service will be required anywhere between 9,000 miles or 12 months (whichever occurs first), up to a maximum of 20,000* miles or 24 months (whichever occurs first). This LongLife service regime has been made possible due to the development of new Volkswagen engines with the latest technically advanced LongLife oil. These engines use built-in sensors that continually monitor the oil quality, making it possible to enjoy reliable and confident motoring for up to a maximum of 20,000* miles or 24 months (whichever occurs first). *Please consult your Volkswagen Retailer or repairer for full information.>>

This is from the horse's mouth, as it were, and with my background of a scientific education and updating myself since then, it seems reasonable to me. I don't need my engines to last 1m miles - 1/4million is enough, thanks.

Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - Andrew-T

<< This is from the horse's mouth, as it were, and with my background of a scientific education and updating myself since then, it seems reasonable to me. I don't need my engines to last 1m miles - 1/4million is enough, thanks. >>

It's a pity the screed you quote is from VW - in the current climate :-)

<< This is from the horse's mouth, as it were, and with my background of a scientific education and updating myself since then, it seems reasonable to me. I don't need my engines to last 1m miles - 1/4million is enough, thanks. >>

It's a pity the screed you quote is from VW - in the current climate :-)

This is from Millers oils, a firm which I believe has a good reputation. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Use : Extended drain (max) Intervals : Change 30000 km / 24 months Products Premium : XF Longlife 5w30 (5862) Energy Efficient Nanodrive : EE Longlife 5w30 (7877) Trident : Trident Longlife 5w30 (5999)

Unfortunately, Millers don't do any of the research themselves into the oils. So taking that sort of quote from their website is about as valid as taking it from Audi's website.

They are, in the trade speak 'oil blenders'.

Want to try again ?

Want to try again ?

Here is an extract from an article written by Jeff Youngs of J D Power who appears to be an authoritative and knowledgeable person; I have put the link below it. My bold type.

One other reason to consider synthetic motor oil is extended periods between oil changes. Petroleum-based oils generally require replacement every 3,500 to 7,500 miles, depending on service use. Synthetic oils can easily offer double the service life as their chemical composition does not break down over time. Several manufacturers have taken advantage of this and supply synthetic oil in their vehicles from the factory to extend oil-change intervals and extend engine longevity. Check your owner's manual or ask your service advisor if synthetic motor oil may be right for your vehicle or driving style.

www.jdpower.com/cars/articles/tips-advice/syntheti...s

I am now beginning to realise why it takes so long for scientific advances to gain widespread acceptance - I think there are probably still people on the planet who think the sun goes round the earth just like the moon does.

<< Here is an extract from an article written by Jeff Youngs of J D Power who appears to be an authoritative and knowledgeable person >>

Appearances can be deceptive, as we all know. In a previous incarnation I was a chemist, and the passage in your bold type does not ring very authoritatively in my ears: 'Chemical composition does not break down over time'. Any oil will gradually degrade when heated to several hundred °C and sheared between rotating metal surfaces. Synthetic resists better than mineral, but not indefinitely.

Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - Wackyracer

Any oil will gradually degrade when heated to several hundred °C and sheared between rotating metal surfaces. Synthetic resists better than mineral, but not indefinitely.

I was told by an oil specialist that the reason they state X mileage or X months is because of the thermal cycling. He said that cars that do low or high mileages tend to do approx the same amount of cold-hot-cold cycles per day.

My current car is a Pug 207SW with the 1.6 HDi engine. It had been a rental car which I bought from a Pug dealer with 12½K on the clock, just due for its first warranty service. Since then I have shortened the change interval to 10K and now 8K, as I am doing fewer miles. It's about to get another change at 56K, and has been using 10W40 semi-syn throughout. The engine is now well run-in, and so far there have been no problems at all. I like to think I help a bit with occasional shots of injector cleaner, but that is all.

So you can change oil yearly or every 10K; or every 3 months for complete peace of mind; or according to long-service intervals and perhaps spend the small saving on an expensive rescue job. The choice is yours.

My current car is a Pug 207SW with the 1.6 HDi engine. ...................................... It's about to get another change at 56K, and has been using 10W40 semi-syn throughout.

Isn't that the wrong oil for that car? I would expect it to be a 5w30 or 5w40 fully synthetic.

My current car is a Pug 207SW with the 1.6 HDi engine. ......... It's about to get another change at 56K, and has been using 10W40 semi-syn throughout.

Isn't that the wrong oil for that car? I would expect it to be a 5w30 or 5w40 fully synthetic.

Not wrong, just one of several recommendations in the handbook. I asked my indie to check with the local dealer when changing the oil while under warranty. And semi-syn will be cheaper than full.

Whilst many makers suggest 5w30 as the preferred grade (handily well overpriced the way the dealer sells it at service time), that's probably as much to do with the fine balancing act of getting it that magical percent lower drag to get into the next lower VED band, hence why we're now into 20 grade so hybrids can get lower bands still, in my humble its starting to get silly now, it'll be a 0W10 next.

I usually buy 5w40 full synthetic quality branded oil in bulk packs when i see it up for the right price and stick it in all my cars, all of which are quite happy with the grade according to each handbook....last batch of Morris's superb 5w40 cost me the pricely sum of £60 delivered for 4x5 litre packs.

As an aside, i wonder just how much protection a super thin 5/30 is providing for the timing chain of cheese in some makes, especially when it done near on 20k miles...back to common sense maybe? some of us here never fell for the long life hype anyway, after all the makers won't be covering the failure when it happens in the usual time frame...don't want these cars lasting like their 90's forebears did.

just one of several recommendations in the handbook. I asked my indie to check with the local dealer when changing the oil while under warranty. And semi-syn will be cheaper than full.

It's years since I had the 1.6HDi just I remembered it running on 5w30.

I find that I can buy fully synthetic 5w40 cheaper than 10w40 semi most of the time.

Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - privateinvestor

It's all about how you drive and where you drive - I think. My VW golf has a temp gauge so its interesting that when recently in Germany at 80-100mph on the unrestricted autobahn the oil temp was up to 102 degrees, whereas in th UK at around the 70-80mph mark its around 90. Me thinks the hotter it runs the shorter its life.

An oil change once a year every 10k is sensible advice, and lets not forget that for cars that are driven in an urban environment the actual oil usuage will be gretaer than athe actual milles driven as the engien will be idling freqently and driven in a stop start manner.

Yes modern oils are better and so are modern engines, but lets not forget with tighter tolerance and emissons standards and not forgetting the fact that todays 2.tdi engine chucks out anywhere between 150bhp to 190bhp compared to 130 odd bhp a few years back. So todays higher powered engines require top notch lubrication if they are to remain in peak condition.

Oil is not that expensive if bought sensibly, just look out for the special offers, eg TPS sell a four pack of 4x5L VW Qunatum (504/507) for around £88 on offer; VW Quantum is just rebadged BP castrol.

Why do so many cars suffer from Turbo failures, answer lack of proper oil lubrication.

Before my VW golf i ran a 52 plate 1.9 tdi A4 sold with 252,000 miles on the clock, reason oil change every 7k using fully synthetic Quantum and or Castroloil to 504/507 spec

Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - slkfanboy

I see many have wonder of the subject. I had the same issue in reverse years ago with an A4, the car reached 18k and the service computer didn't trigger. It turns out it was set for the wrong engine and should have trigger around 15K.

It seams the service computer is rather dumb. Firstly it does not monitor the oil condition it's simply takes the milage and adjust the range based on how the car is driven.

So basically the oil might be good or bad it does not know, what it does know is of your are doing motorway driving or town driving. It then adjusts the service interval to match.

Audi A6 avant black edition tdi ultra - First oil change - Audi A6 Black Edition Tdi Ultr

Thank you all for the advice. Audi are still adamant I should stick to the schedule predicted by the car's computer, but never-the-less I am booking in for a 10k (ish) oil change.

I have full warranty on the car for 4 years and a signed audi docket saying they advised against an oil change until 18k (ish) saying it was a waste of my money and un-eco friendly (Ha, hypocrites!). What confuses me is why would audi risk having to replace an engine and turn down £159 quid for an interim service if you guys are all correct?

I actually had the car in the service centre when they told me it didn't need an oil service and they still did a check of the car, filled the wash fluid, charged the tyres and gave it a mini-valet for free. I even got decent ish coffee and Danish pastries.

In addition I have had 3 Audi's previous to this car but the youngest had 56k when I purchased it. I ran them all on long service and didn't have a single fault on any of them. My 'N' plate A4 1.8T managed 156,000m with nothing untoward apart from an exhaust manifold change.

My 56 plate A4 2.0tdi avant got to 120,000m and I'd changed nothing apart from filaments that wasn't in the service schedule.

... why would audi risk having to replace an engine and turn down £159 quid for an interim service if you guys are all correct?

You don't have to fork out that much for just an oil change, which is all you are after. If that is what they charge, take it to an independent and make sure he uses the recommended materials to preserve the warranty. There are plenty of indies who specialise in VAG.