What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford fusion 1.4 semi automatic 2004 - Semi automatic gearbox problems - ted799
Problematic semi auto mastic gearbox, car juddering when in first gear.
Had the gearbox actuator removed , brushes reamed out, and unit lubricated and refitted.
Since then, no juddering but now the gearbox has a mind of its own! When going from 1st to 2nd gear, there is a loss of power for 3/4 seconds and then 2nd gear is selected. This happens about 60% of the time. Occasionally does it in other gears. When you stop, display on dashboard sometimes goes blank. Coming down the box is perfect.
Feels as If there is a delay in a sensor /relay etc, but at a loss now what to do.
Ford fusion 1.4 semi automatic 2004 - Semi automatic gearbox problems - elekie&a/c doctor

Unfortunately ,these semi auto robotised manual gearboxes sound good in theory,but once they start to give problems they can be an absolute money pit to fix.The fault could even be a worn clutch.I would not spend a penny more on this and I would think it is time to sell .These semi auto Fiesta/Fusion models are very much zero value as people are scared of any problems with the transmission.

Ford fusion 1.4 semi automatic 2004 - Semi automatic gearbox problems - gordonbennet

It's a funny thing, despite them being a horrid and annoying contraption, automated manual boxes as fitted to big lorries are surprisingly reliable, and have done at least part of their designed work of preventing steering wheel attendants abusing normal gearboxes and clutches with expensive results, plus they help keep the revs (and resulting fuel consumption) in check when the vehicle is being used by the incompetent.

Why car versions are so unreliable long term in comparison is a mystery indeed, maybe design life features, 12 years life for a car isn't in the average makers interests.

Ford fusion 1.4 semi automatic 2004 - Semi automatic gearbox problems - galileo

Why car versions are so unreliable long term in comparison is a mystery indeed, maybe design life features, 12 years life for a car isn't in the average makers interests.

Like many other car components, there is always pressure to reduce weight to improve performance (and the claimed emissions!) and also to make parts as small as possible. Most modern car engine compartments are crammed full, there may be similar design pressures on lorries but not to the same extent, so parts are bigger and more robust.

It's like the old USA saying "there's no substitute for cubic inches", which I think GB has supported previously in preference for 14 litre Cummins engines over smaller units?

Ford fusion 1.4 semi automatic 2004 - Semi automatic gearbox problems - gordonbennet

I certainly have Galileo, one of the best lorry engines ever made IMO, million miles easily attained with just regular servicing, tappets adjusted and injectors torqued up, then made to work.

Agree with you that car underbonnets are now too crammed, makes working on modern cars a chore indeed, hence how expensive replacing something as regularly as a Golf EGR-of-cheese can be, quite ridiculous.

I certainly have Galileo, one of the best lorry engines ever made IMO, million miles easily attained with just regular servicing, tappets adjusted and injectors torqued up, then made to work.

The company I worked for was bought by Cummins in 1972, I had the pleasure of visiting several of their engine plants here and in the US and on one trip to the States spent a few days in Columbus at the HQ, about a dozen test beds in the basement if I recall correctly. Reliabilty and durability were given a lot of attention.

The company I worked for was bought by Cummins in 1972, I had the pleasure of visiting several of their engine plants here and in the US and on one trip to the States spent a few days in Columbus at the HQ, about a dozen test beds in the basement if I recall correctly. Reliabilty and durability were given a lot of attention.