Reliable diesel for a budget of 4k? - eonca
Hi All,

I currently own a 04 plate ford focus 1.8tdci Zetec diesel, it's done 122,000 and it needs a new flywheel and cambelt, so time to replace I think!

I test drove a kia Ceed 1.6 crdi today which looked ok but the engine had no guts, especially when I got up to 40mph, turbo didn't feel like it kicked in at any point.

I drive 22 miles each way to work each day so would prefer a diesel unless anyone can reccomend a decent petrol car that's economical and reliable?

My main priorities are economical, safe, reliable....(the kia felt sluggish today, it may just of been a bad example though).

I almost went for another ford again but don't like the sound of the 1.6 engines with dpf and various other issues. I guess Hyundai i30's could be an option?

Many thanks and apologie for the length of the post, I'm really hoping for some decent help.
Reliable diesel for a budget of 4k? - oldroverboy.

kia rio 1.2 petrol.

40ish locally up to 50 on a "run"

will accelerate when required. simple chain cam engine. no turbo.

read my review in hj reviews.

no dpf/dmf/egr,

just add fuel to borrow a phrase.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will bear them in mind but not overly keen on the body shape or styling (I know that's not a criteria I listed).

Does anyone have any experience of honda civics 06-08 2.2 diesels? Very powerful but still economical?
Reliable diesel for a budget of 4k? - csgmart

Is there any reason you need / want a diesel?

If you are doing 45 miles a day (presumably only during the week) that's about 12k miles a year and many will tell you that less than 15k miles per annum is safely in petrol territory.

Second hand diesels are a bit of a lottery also I think. There is far too much to go wrong after the first owner has moved it on and for £4k you would probably be the third owner and possibly facing several large bills which could render said car uneconomical to repair.

I think it's because I have had such good performance and reliability out of my current diesel, I'm wondering though if I have just been lucky, I have never maintained but it's still done me well.

I would consider a petrol if it could offer me the same economy, reliability and performance?
Reliable diesel for a budget of 4k? - Smileyman

seen some good comments about the Nissan Note, go for the newer 1.2 engine which returns the best MPG figures. Nissans are as reliable as any, and more so than some I won't name.

just seen the budget comment, sorry, won't fit the £4k budget

Edited by Smileyman on 19/09/2015 at 22:39

Reliable diesel for a budget of 4k? - Avant

I agree 100% with csgmart.

Any car at £4k will be well used; try to find one with a full service history and average mileage for the year, not too high and not too low.

Go for either a petrol Focus (lots around to choose from, and generally a good name for reliability) or something Japanese, again petrol-powered. An older Nissan Note would be good: if it were me I'd look for a Toyota - Yaris, Auris or Avensis depending on the size you want.